Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 can't update firmware

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For the past three weeks I've been trying to update the firmware on my fitbit Charge 2 to the latest version, but it keeps failing with a generic "Update failed" error.

I've tried restarting the fitbit but it didn't make any difference.

Any ideas on what might be going wrong here?

Best Answer
0 Votes
38 REPLIES 38

I finally solved my problem by getting my wife's iPhone and doing the upgrade from there.  I still have a problem with time zone changes, not going forwards, but going backwards!  Come on Fitbit, you can do better than this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same issue (the tracker starts the update, but after like 10% it stops and displays 'Update failed'). I noticed that when I hold my phone still next to the tracker, this update fails everytime (I've tried like 20 times). But when I keep the phone moving, just from left to right about 15 cm above the tracker, it works!

I know it is a strange solution, but you could give it a try.

(By the way, I have the tracker charging while doing the above and I have the Charge 2 with HTC One M8)

Best Answer

I have the same problem as Laura_Z.

The tracker starts the update, but stops even before the indicator in the app has gone longer than one dot...

As I have a HTC (Desire EYE, with Android 6.0.1), I also tried the trick with moving the phone above the tracker.

But  no success.....

I thought that the Charge 2 would give less connection problems than the Charge HR, sov I am pretty disappointed with Fitbit...!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
The only way I could get it to upgrade was to add it to my wife's Apple iPhone, update it and then remove it and re-add it to my Windows Phone, after which it worked fine.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 finally updated from my Blackberry passport yesterday....the only change I have noticed since my first post is the time changed from daylight savings to eastern standard time...🤔🧤👏

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

i got a new fitbit charge 2 and had exactly the same problem . i tried all suggestions including restarting charge 2 etc but firmware update just did not work with my Samsung A6+ Android phone and the Fitbit Android app but the firmware update did not proceed beyond the first dot .

i moved to using the Fitbit IOS app on my ipad and firmware update worked on the first attemp . i suspect a compatibility issue on the Fitbit Android app across models

Thanks

Shankar

Best Answer
0 Votes

Brand new charge 2 won't update the firmware, no factory reset options, just remove it from my account and let it sit for days is no answer.  My firmware version is 22.22.53.4 not sure what the latest version is supposed to be.  I have a Blackberry running android, I am not going to buy a Iphone to get this piece of junk to update the firmware.  I have been battling this for 3 weeks, sending it back, no more fitbits for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ITgeek my guess is that the Blackberry has never been tested for compatibility issues.

Mabe try setting it up with a different device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, this is actually my second charge 2 watch, the first worked fine with my blackberry, unfortunately the band kept popping off and i eventually lost it.  This one sync's fine, just won't update the firmware, very frustrating.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Charge 2 to update to firmware version 22.22.55.2 through "Fitbit Connect" on my desktop computer running Windows 7.  🤷‍:female_sign:  I had a dongle USB from my previous device (Charge HR) in the computer tower.  I had the Charge 2 plugged into the charger and a USB port and when I opened "Fitbit Connect" there was a option to click "check for device updates" or something and it magically (?) happened from there.  It would NOT update on my Samsung Galaxy J7V.  You've probably sent yours back already, but maybe this will help someone else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried all of the above using my phone. Eventually I had to install the Fitbit app on my tablet to complete update. Not impressed 😠

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had similar issues when updating my old Flex. I’m just sorry I hadn’t checked these forums first!

i now have a Charge 2 (to replace my flex that died after the update, as did many others on this forum). I will NOT be doing any updates on the Charge 2!!!! 

Im sure we will very shortly see that the charge 2 will be discontinued.  A very sneaky and disappointing way corn Fitbit to have us purchased new trackers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just turned Bluetooth off for 10 seconds and update is loading 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two years after this problem was supposedly solved - it's August 2019 with no further updates from fitbit.  I'm at version 3.31, trying to update the tracker's firmware. It looks like it starts up, then fails.  I've restarted the tracker, cycled bluetooth, tried again ad infinitum.

Best Answer

Hello @arnard currently the latest Charge 2 firmware is version 22.58.0. I'm not sure what to have or what device is at version 3.31? 

What firmware is your Charge 2 at? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit app on my J7V is 3.31.  Current firmware on my charge 2 is 22.22.55.2

Best Answer
0 Votes

You say it looks like it starts. Does this mean you see a progress line start on the Charge 2 and the Fitbit App? 

Once started, do you move the Fitbit app to the background? 

What version of Android does the phone have? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issue for months - Charge 2 and Samsung A40 phone which is not in the list of supported phones but works.

Finally got the update to work today using the Fitbit app on my laptop.  

Initially it didn't work, and I could see from the Bluetooth settings that the fitbit was flitting between Paired and Connected status hence not connected long enough to do the update (I assume the same reason for failing from the phone).  I connected the Charge 2 to the laptop via the USB charger, restarted it (press and hold button for 4 seconds till Fitbit logo appears), unpaired the Bluetooth, turned off Bluetooth on the nearby phone to stop any interference.  Then when I went to the Fitbit app on the laptop to start the update, it just worked!

A few issues with syncing following the update (seems to be a bit hit and miss) but the update to 22.22.58.0 has worked. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! Finally!  I shut off bluetooth on my phone.  I also unplugged the bluetooth dongle from my mac, then plugged it back in. Started the update and it finished the first time!

Best Answer
0 Votes