Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Connect software broke, I uninstalled, now it won't install (Windows 8.1)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use Windows 8.1  No, I am not "upgrading" to Windows 10 just so I can use the Fitbit app.  Obviously the choice to stop  supporting 8.1 is an arbitrary decision, driven by Microsoft's priorities.  There is no difference in how the app runs on 8.1 and 10.

Thus I am stuck using the legacy Fitbit connect software and dongle.  I installed it a few weeks ago and it ran fine until today. Yesterday the connect SW or service stopped working, stopped syncing.   Today I uninstalled the SW and downloaded it again (I didn't keep the old download).  When I click to install the connect SW, it first asks me for a region, then I pick United States, then the installer exits without installing anything.  The Fitbit service that showed up in services is gone after the uninstall.  The Fitbit taskbar icon is gone, it appears when I run the installer but then disappears.

Would be nice to get it working again, but I have no idea how.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I ran the installation program again, and this time it worked.  The fitbit connect software launched and it tried to connect to my fitbit Charge.  It connected, but then said the connection was lost.  Then I tried to sync again and it says  An error occurred while syncing!  An unknown error has occurred!

Edit: I exited the fitbit application, then went to the fitbit icon and opened it again.  I clicked sync and it said it is successful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The sync with 8.1 using the dongle works now.  I got it working at some point with Windows 8.1 but I'm not sure how.  Probably uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Uninstalling and reinstalling can really cause a lot of problems. I'm glad you got it working but by doing this you might not be so lucky next time

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer