Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit can't do math - if I revise the sleep log, it then can't add properly.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

If I had slept from roughly 9 p.m. till 5 a.m., as per the Fitbit, and it gave me a total of about 7 hours plus wake time, as soon as I added 5 a.m. till 6 a.m., it gave me another 45 minutes or so of sleep, but went back and cut my original sleep time by an hour. If I add up the awake, the REM, the deep and the light, it still adds up to over 7 hours, but Fitbit adds them up and comes up with 6. This has happened several times in the past. Why can't Fitbit add?

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

@sheilatanenbaum wrote:

If I had slept from roughly 9 p.m. till 5 a.m., as per the Fitbit, and it gave me a total of about 7 hours plus wake time, as soon as I added 5 a.m. till 6 a.m., it gave me another 45 minutes or so of sleep, but went back and cut my original sleep time by an hour. If I add up the awake, the REM, the deep and the light, it still adds up to over 7 hours, but Fitbit adds them up and comes up with 6. This has happened several times in the past. Why can't Fitbit add?

Hi @sheilatanenbaum,

Fitbit can add, it just may not be the way you expect.  When you add an hour of sleep, you're adding a period of both sleep and awake. Since Fitbit thought you were awake from 5-6am, most of that time would be awake time, even if you've told it that you were asleep.  The amount of sleep and wake time is dependent on heart rate and amount of movement.  When we add an hour of sleep at the beginning or end, we're forcing Fitbit to recalculate the entire sleep period, which can give unexpected results to the overall sleep period. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
thanks, but it really doesn't make sense. Many times it adds the extra
time without subtracting from the original time frame.
Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you know it subtracted from the original time, if it's all one sleep period once you made the change?

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes
no, it is not one sleep period.

it shows up as 2 separate periods.

And sometimes, if I add sleep at the beginning, it gets added to the
prior night's total!
Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, thanks for the clarification. Someone else will have to answer this one, as I haven't experienced that one yet. 

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

When asking about this type of problem, screen shots will help greatly. 

Best Answer
was logged from 9 p.m. till 5 a.m. The total doesn't add up to 8 hours

TIME ASLEEP

6hrs22mins

SLEEP STAGES

Learn More

Today

9.6%16xAwake
47mins
12.9%REM
1hrs3mins

54.7%Light
4hrs27mins
10.7%Deep
52mins

EDIT SLEEP

Thursday, Dec 21, 2017
Best Answer
0 Votes

Went to bed but woke up 50 minutes later to go to bathroom.  Fitbit, of course, started counting sleep after I had been in bed for over 60 minutes and came up next morning with total for the night.  I added a manual sleep log for the missing 50 minutes but Fitbit subtracted that time from the hours I was in bed that night!  Happened twice last week.  How to correct the total hours in bed?

Best Answer

@barbbwalker some before and afyerascreen shots would be helpful for us to understand. 

Did you add a second sleep record, or edit the current record to include all the sleep time? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
If I get up briefly after being asleep less than 1 hour, auto doesn’t record that sleep. If I manually add sleep log for that time, Fitbit subtracts that time from total hours slept - instead of adding times together.

Barb B.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be really helpful to post some screen shots of your process and the result screens. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Can’t remember how to iPhone screen shots

Barb B.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have children wake up in the middle of the night. The Fitbit recalculates my sleep from after I get up at midnight or one. When I try to add the prior time to my sleep log it always subtracts an hour from the original time even though the two times do not cross over. It is pretty frustrating.  I just recalculate it in my head.  I figure I’m smarter than the Fitbit. LOL 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can we get an example of screen shots @NonnaDR 

Best Answer
0 Votes
As you can see. In the first shot the fit bit gave me 4 hours and 1 min. From 12:29 to 4:55. I went to sleep around 9:30 so I added a sleep log from 9:30 to 12:26. I did not take away from or adjust the original in any way but when I added that log, the original took almost an hour away from my time. From 4 hours 1 min to 3 hours 11 min. So instead of adding sleep time it subtracts it.

Blessings,
Donna Rhinehart
Best Answer