Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit for horseback riding!

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello! 

I purchased the Charge 2 last night and I am curious if anyone here knows what setting i would need to put it on to get an accurate reading 🙂 

Thank you! 

Brittney 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@b.dunk It's nice to have you on board! Like @Rich_Laue said you can check the forums to see what other members have tried while doing this activity. Officially your tracker won't be able to track horseback riding but you can use the Workout option (check under Exercise shortcuts to add it if you don't see it) on your tracker and then rename it on the website dashboard. You can also use an online calorie to have an estimate on how many calories you burn for this activity.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

There have been a few threads on this already https://community.fitbit.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/? q=Horseback

Best Answer

@b.dunk It's nice to have you on board! Like @Rich_Laue said you can check the forums to see what other members have tried while doing this activity. Officially your tracker won't be able to track horseback riding but you can use the Workout option (check under Exercise shortcuts to add it if you don't see it) on your tracker and then rename it on the website dashboard. You can also use an online calorie to have an estimate on how many calories you burn for this activity.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This does not work - it tracks the horse's steps as mine.

Best Answer

It does work, but if your wearing your tracker, it can't tell the difference between.your steps and the horses.

Leaving the tracker off and logging the horse time manually would keep the steps from showing up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am about to go horseback riding and I was wondering the same thing. I think I'll just take off my Charge 2 and leave it in the car.

Best Answer

Hi, for hacking in the UK with a mixture of walk, trot and canter the Internet suggests one burns somewhere around 200 calories per hour (though no doubt that varies slighty for different riding activities).  I'm finding it a total pain having to set my Charge 2 to Workout then update it manually afterwards each time I ride. And even when I change the activity name I'm having a problem editing the calories. Seems I have to delete the activity completely and re-enter? PLEASE can the Fitbit boffins add horseback riding as one of the 7 exercise choices one can include on the tracker. (Same problem for skiers I expect). Cheers.

Best Answer

I wish I could give 100 thumbs up for this suggestion!  Yes!  A specific horseback riding activity, please, versus having to adjust my FitBit Charge 2 activities to create the activity...then manually set it every time.  I'd rather just not wear my fitbit when riding... And definitely don't recommend it to my horseriding friends, even though it sounded like such a great thing.

Best Answer
I would be interested to know what manual settings you use for horseriding as I've found none of the existing settings satisfactory.
Best Answer

That would be so good! 

Best Answer

I think it's great to wear my Fitbit while riding because it does accurately count my heart rate, active minutes and overall exertion.

It would be really nice if the app would adjust the steps and mileage downwards when an activity is adjusted to be horseback riding. 

Best Answer

Update.... I've started adding two exercises: "driving" and "horseback riding" for the duration of the time I'm on horseback. The driving exercise removes the extra steps, and the horseback riding gives me the energy expenditure.

Seems to be a bit more accurate now. 😊

Best Answer

When I get ready to work with my mustange each week I use the Fitbit luxe after everything is ready to go I press walk and it will track it then I go onto the Fitbit app it will tell me that I can catorgrize exersize type in horse back riding and there you go I don’t even enter the barn with my phone unless it’s a trail ride we are going on then I use Ridely to log in the activities 

Best Answer
0 Votes