Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Connected Run - Wrong distance and wrong pace!!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know this was an issue couple of months ago, but now this issue seems to be re-surfaced (at least for me). While running I'm seeing that my pace is off (too high) even though I kept same pace. In order to be sure I just ran on an exactly 1km track for 6 laps and also recorded the run on Nike+ Run (both apps use GPS). 

My fitbit app is v2.71 (2193273) on Android One Plus 5.

On this run Nike+ recorded correctly a distance of 6.07kms while Fitbit (Charge 2 connected to phone) 5.77kms!!! This is hugely annoying not just because my Charge2 is completely useless but all since my data is wrong, screwing up other metrics.

I am so disappointed with the current support and the incapability of getting something like this correct in over 6 months! (I'm being generous since found posts from 2 years ago reporting same issue).

Fix this ASAP! 

Fitbit.jpgNike+.jpg

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

Yeah, I guess they just don't care.  I've taken the same walk twice in a row now, it shows 1.27 miles (for over 5800 steps - seriously, you'd think even a computer could see that's wrong unless you're taking baby steps!).  I checked it with my car and bike odometers and they both give me 2.3 miles. so it's ridiculous that it's recording barely half the distance.  Pitiful.  I think I'll try a different fitness watch next time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also having similar problems. Got a new fit bit 2 version 2.85 for Christmas. Disappointed to find it consistently under records distance & the pace shown is incorrect too. I run 3.1 miles regularly on the sane circuit. Strava shows this as 3.1 k pace 10.33, fitbit gives 2.88 miles at pace of 13.38.

Can anyone help? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm sorry for you...you won't get any help. What I can suggest is to get a
proper running watch with integrated GPS. I have opened this ticket over 1
year ago, and am super disappointed that this issue still exists.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your reply xmnuz23762.

This problem is particularly disappointing as my kids bought my fitbit to encourage me with my running. Very frustrating to discover this is such a long standing issue & fitbit haven't fixed it.

Sent from my Samsung device
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ruth61 as mentioned above and in other places accurately set your Stride. For starters increase your stride setting by 1.08. 

Best Answer

I’ve given up on Fitbit as a brand. They haven’t and unlikely to fix the problem which has been raised for over a year.

Im disappointed that Fitbit is still selling this model knowing there is a major issue. Clearly it shows Fitbit does not care about their customers at all

Best Answer

Fortunately @NickMac Fitbit users have figured out what was going on and have provided both the reason for the inaccuracy and the fix. These boards are scattered with users documenting on how to get an accurate distance while out on a walk or run. 

Best Answer
Thanks Rich_Laue,

I'll try your suggestion.

Best Answer

If I have the time I’d go through the endless information on how to fix something that should be working in the first place. Alternatively Fitbit should just fix the **ahem** thing 

Best Answer

There is a valid reason as to why Fitbit uses the logic that they do, I summed up the fix above with " set the stride setting accurately". 

Best Answer
Yes we can adjust stride length until we get a closer “estimate”, but what really gets me is why does the GPS info not override/trump the simple pedometer data when we do a GPS connected run paired with the smartphone app? Very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Tried your suggestion Rich_Laue. My distance measured almost exactly the same as Strava this morning, so that's great. Thanks for the tip. 

Pace however was stll incorrect...knocked 2mins off my normal pace - if only!! 

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

This thread has prompted me to contact Fitbit on facebook and this is their last response: 

Not the experience we want you to have. We’re aware of the GPS issue, but may not be able to provide a fix in the near future. We'll continue to monitor the situation and keep our team informed of its impact. We're sorry for the trouble, and understand this isn't the resolution you're hoping for.

There you have it. They are aware it is an issue but it wont be fixed.

Good luck everyone

Best Answer
Thanks NickMac for this info. I guess it's a question of watch this space!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NickMac I think you missed the phrase, " n the near future', Fitbit never said that it won't be fixed.

Best Answer

Considering this issue has been ongoing for a year, and Charge 3 is already out, i wont be holding my breath. 

Best Answer

And regarding adjusting stride length, I have experimented with it at length trying to find the “sweet spot” and every time I think I have it, the next time I go out and do the exact same route (which I know the distance of) it will be a different story completely.  This leads me to believe that the device simply does not work properly.

Furthermore, even if you are lucky enough to find your stride length “sweet spot”, you have to keep in mind that this whole approach breaks down as soon as you adjust your pace.  In theory, if you do a faster pace you are taking slightly longer steps, so the result of this will be very counterintuitive.  The Fitbit will still do the calculation based on your “normal” stride length, and so the end result will be that it will show your distance, and also your pace, as being LOWER when you run faster.  This is of course because you took slightly fewer steps to run, what is in reality, the same distance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I'm old fashioned but a sports watch shouldn't be this complicated.

You shouldn't have to manually find your sweet spot or adjust your stride. 

It should just work. 

Best Answer

Hey everybody! I hope you are doin' great! 

If you are experiencing GPS issues, like inaccurate distance and pace, I would suggest you the following: 

- Adjust your stride length

- Review this help article: Why isn't my GPS working on my Fitbit device? 

- Make sure that you have the latest version of the Fitbit app 

- If you are using an Android device, please review this help article as well

Let me know how it goes! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Considering this has been a known issue for a few years I can't believe we're still offering this as an excuse for a manufacturer not taking the responsibility for fixing their product offering.

Best Answer