Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS distance incorrect when bicycling

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Using Charge 2 - I notice that my bicycling distance is not accurate most of the time. The time in accurate, but the distance is off as much as 50%.

Setup before I begin a ride: Open the app on my android (8.0). Start the "Bike" option on my Charge 2. When ride is complete I stop the "Bike" on my Charge 2. I look at the app and see the attached screen shot.

should be 24 milesshould be 24 miles

Observations: For example on April 24th, 2019. Fitbit indicated that I biked 15.96 miles, but I use this trail often and it is a 24 mile ride. The time was recorded correctly.

As you can see by the attached map screen shot, the ride was tracked correctly for part of the ride but then there is a straight line. (indicating a lost GPS signal?) It was a two way trip; meaning at the halfway point I doubled back using the exact same route.

So, the ride was recorded correctly for half the ride. I don't know if discrepancy was during the 1st half or the 2nd half of the ride.

Do you have any suggestions?

Will it matter if I have WiFi turned on or not? (I always leave it on)

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@Reemo Welcome! It's nice to have you on board! 

I will assist you with your GPS distance. As you mentioned it would be ideal if you turn off the wifi signal as this may interrupt the internet connection on your phone. There is also an issue with activities and the GPS distance so it is suggested that you try using the run option to help improve the distance calculation. Additionally you can check these suggestions to improve the GPS data.

Let me know how it goes.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: OK, so I turned OFF the WiFi on my cell phone yesterday . The results were actually worse than with WiFi ON. (worse regarding distance and route tracking). 

Here is a screen shot:

fitbit.png

Seems like it knew my halfway point, but only straight lines to and from that point. Odd how it recorded my furthest point but didn't track any of the trail to and from. I made sure to check the "Exercise Shortcuts" on the app and see that it was "Connected GPS" just before I started at the trail head.

As usual, it did record the time correctly.

Next time out I will try select "Run" vs "Bike" on my device; as per your suggestion. 

Happy "Bike To School Day"!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. Ride for 59 minutes and 22 miles but app shows 0.1 miles. Heart rate is correct.

Using Android phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: So I tried using "Run" vs "Bike" on the Charge 2 (when riding my bike). That didn't make it better. So I am back to using "Bike" and leaving the WiFi on.

I have been going through various settings on the app and on my android. Now I don't even get a map! I rode yesterday and it recorded the time correctly, and the heart rate. But when I review the ride on the app; there is no map and no distance. I must have inadvertently switched on/off the wrong setting.

Is there a way I can set the app and the Charge 2 back to default settings? I feel like I am lost in the sauce and I need help to "go to the light"Smiley Happy

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

New Information:

I rode today and fitbit recorded the info in the screen shot below. Copied from my desktop computer:

fitb.png

It started out at the correct spot but apparently "lost" the GPS signal as I got close to the halfway point. It seems to have picked it up again at different points on the return. The distance of 8.55 mi is less than half of what it actually is.

Just for a comparison; I looked at my "Google Timeline" for the ride today. The map is very similar.

G time.png

Google had a more accurate record of the distance though. Google also mapped the finish back to where I started. Fit bit did not. I suspect this is due to the fact that Google uses GPS, mobile networks  and WiFi for the location. As far as I know Fitbit is only using GPS. ( perhaps a moderator could verify this?)

My conclusion: I don't believe my Fitbit Charge 2 will record more accurately no matter which settings I change or how I use it. I believe if Fitbit can find a way to record maps and distances that same way Google does; then it would improve greatly. But it will not be perfect. I think the route I bicycle must have some "dead spots". Even Google lost the position for a while.  

Perhaps Fitbit could modify it's system to use the "Google Timeline" that is already being recorded by Google?

Best Answer
0 Votes