Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not accurate on Charge 3

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The GPS on the fitbit3 is not accurate. My phone tracks me and the fitbit is at least 0.2 miles off. It also gives me like 60 active minutes for maybe 35min of exercise (and my heart rate was not elevated for that far beyond my exercise to account for that). Im dissapointed that this isn't nearly ad accurate and I still need to take my phone running to log a workout =(

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
58 REPLIES 58

Welcome on board @TabiR, it's nice to see you here! The connected GPS feature on Fitbit Charge 3 works with the GPS sensors in your nearby phone. To get GPS data, including pace and route for your workout, you must select a GPS exercise from the Exercise app on your device and bring a GPS-enabled phone with you. We recommend turning off Wi-Fi on your phone when using connected GPS to improve the experience.

When you choose a GPS exercise, your device vibrates when your phone finds a GPS signal. If your phone doesn't find a signal immediately, keep in mind that environmental factors including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover can interfere with your phone’s ability to connect to GPS satellites. 

For best results, wait for your phone to find the signal before you start your workout. However, if you don't want to wait you can start your workout and GPS tracking begins when your phone finds a signal. 

Note that your device uses your step count to calculate distance until it finds a GPS signal. In this scenario, your total distance calculated for the workout may be slightly less accurate than if GPS data were available for the entire duration. For more information, see How accurate is GPS?

Requirements for best results:

In regards to the active minutes, I'd recommend to see: What are active minutes?

Give this a go and let me know the outcome! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was finding the same thing that the miles is not accurate at all. In fact it's sitting in the box waiting to go back to Amazon. I'm not seeing the setting in the app you mention of using a GPS device. Where in the app is this exactly? I really want to like this but to many flaws like heart rate reliability is driving me nuts. It seems to be very picky on placement of the wrist. If I can get it to use the GPS in my phone I just mayu keep it. One person replied with adjusting your stride setting. Using arm motion isn't very reliable.

Best Answer
I tried linking my Fitbit GPS to my phone and it said i ran 3.7 miles and
my phone said 4.25. The trail i run is marked and so i know my phone is
correct. Fitbit also told me my pace was a whole 2 minutes slower than my
pace on my phone. This is just super dissapointing because I could've just
got a cheap pedometer and had the same outcome.
Best Answer

Yeah I tried linking it to my phone gps like they said and my pace was 2 minutes slower and said i ran 3.7 miles when i ran 4.25 according to my phone. If they're working off the same gps shouldnt they be the same?! So frustrating. 

Best Answer

Hi 

I'm experiencing the same issues with Charge 3 not being accurate enough. I run approx. 3 times a week and I know the routes. I also always compare my run stats from Fitbit with stats from Google. I am lost on 3 accounts:

FIRST if Google can track my GPS location why can't Fitbit? Both apps use the same phone. And I run the same routes...;

SECOND I can't find a way to add kilometers / mileage on exercise that have been tracked with GPS. Why is this important? 

1. Because I want to keep most of the run statistics which are correct; 

2. I only want to add the kilometers missing to up my average pace (because it's frustrating that fitbit is always claiming me slow :(. I have worked hard to become fast!);

THIRD fitbit uses Google maps and Google maps APIs... why don't you let us adjust our run track on the map so that we could gather accurate run data?

Best Answer

When I walk or run the measured distance is different on Runkeeper and on my Fitbit charge 3. Charge 3 is always measuring a shorter distance.
Today I started Runkeeper and the Fitbit app at the same time and on the same phone. I saw that Runkeeper measured a shorter distance than the Fitbit app. Anyone knows why and which one should I rely on? My charge 3, Runkeeper or the Fitbit app?

Update: Both Runkeeper and the Fitbit app showed a very similar course when I looked at the maps in the apps. 
Same with my charge 3. But it won't show the same distance as Runkeeper, always a shorter one.

Best Answer

I to would like the opportunity to add the "lost" meters. Runkeeper always measured that I run further than my charge 3.

And please add the possibility to correct the time. Sometimes I forgot to press finish at the same time that I stop running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing those details in regards to the GPS on your Charge 3 @Hemmeleinen and @MargotRo! Please make sure you've checked and followed the tips and recommendations I've posted here.

Here is the data that syncs between Fitbit and Runkeeper:

Runkeeper.png

For anything else you would like to see implemented in the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. This is a space where Community users can post features, ideas, and suggestions that they'd like to see in future Fitbit products, accessories, and software and top-voted suggestions get relayed to our product team for review. 

We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. 

Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps. 

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

@MarreFitbitthanks for your reply. I have checked previous discussions on this topic and have seen the recommendations under other threads. Still I'm not getting accurate data. I'm just puzzled. This is not making any sense to me. 

I checked the new feature suggestion board also and I am amazed. There are more likes for female health features, then there are for editing run distance :(. It just makes me sad... because add mileage / edit mileage total amount shouldn't be that difficult of a feature to do...I don't expect strides to be recalculated. Only the totals... But is it going to be unresolved forever now because other user feel like tracking menstrual cycle with fitbit is more important?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally understand your point @MargotRoYou can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

I'd like to give thanks for the feedback you've provided towards our product. Rest assured that our engineers and product development team use this information to further improve our products and services.

Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback. 

If there any questions present, please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @MarreFitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having same problem. I upgraded from Charge 2 to Charge 3, and the Charge 3 run distance stats are all over the place. The Charge 3 regularly records my 5k runs at about 4.8ks, yet when you open the run stats up to read more detail, you can read & add up in the run detail (splits for each kilometer) that you ran more than the distance listed in the distance summary. EG. Saturday i did the 5km parkrun, Charge 3 claims I only ran 4.82 km, yet when I look at my splits there are 6 Cue times for Kilometer 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and part of kilometer 6. Today I ran 5.47kms according to my FitBit App split cues, but total distance recorded in FitBit 5.32kms? with the Google Maps distance closer to the 5.47kms distance. Why the inconsistency? This did not happen on exactly the same runs with same phone and same use behavior. So annoying....the Charge 3 makes me look as though i have slowed down. 

Best Answer

Hi. 

My FitBit Charge 3 does not seem accurate either when tracking activities. Steps walked, stairs climbed, calories burned, etc. It counts the steps even when I am driving. 

How to fix it? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm getting this too... gps seems to be accurate on my phone, but when it comes through fitbit app... the distance is off and the route tracked has me flying over rivers and through buildings... (which I did not do, for the avoidance of doubt).

Best Answer
Is there a way to refund the money considering I am all the way in Manila?
This is such a hassle.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Simply contact Fitbit and ask for a refund.  As soon as they confirm they will honour the refund they should provide you with a free post address you can post the unit back to and provide a refund when they receive the faulty goods.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Glennbest@BryanCork, and @HuntzyFitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. We estimate your stride lengths using your height and sex. Track one or more runs using on-board or connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths yourself and enter them manually, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found.

After reviewing this factors, please go for another walk and see if the distance improves. 

Hi @AnjjSoriano! It seems that you have contacted our Customer Support Team recently. Since you have your case number, please don't hesitate to contact them back if you need any further assistance. They'll be more than glad to help. Robot Very Happy

I'll be around, keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I understand how it calculates distance when not connected to my phone (number of steps x stride length).

But when I go for a run and bring my phone, I go to the exercise app on my Charge 3 and select ‘Run’ and then ”Start” and wait for it to connect (I’m assuming to the gps on my phone?) when it connects I press the start button... am I doing something wrong?

I went for a run today and used a garmin as well as my Fitbit.... the garmin accurately measured the distance 5km.... but my Fitbit just tracked 2.88km.

What am I doing wrong with my Fitbit? 

Thanks

Best Answer

Hi, I recently bought a charge 3 to track distance and get a map of my runs. My distances are often out by 2 kms. My maps are always inaccurate -  they do not follow the roads I take i- they show me running through peoples houses or in a straight line missing all the details of my run. I have followed instructions on the apps - please help as I am very disappointed and regretting my purchase. 

Best Answer