Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate isn't being recorded with GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge 3 does not log heart rate when I GPS track exercise during the session. If I manually log the same run after the event, then Fitbit shows the heart rate against this exercise but I lose the GPS tracking. Why is this?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
57 REPLIES 57

I have the same problem within the same time frame as many of the posts here. July 29ish

Reviewing my exercise data from 6-8 weeks ago, the other big difference I am seeing is calories burned.  I walk the same 3 mile route every day at lunch. Very little variation. I have about a 15 to 16 minute pace.  Since the introduction of the “not tacking heart rate”bug, my calories burned for this exercise has dropped by 20%. 

Are these things related?  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner I bet it is related. Just FYI this is a summary of what we are pretty certain we know from reading other discussion group's threads which at last count includes 97 people: 

This is information that FitBit must have but have NOT shared. So I DO NOT think they are being entirely open and honest really. Most people know all this already. Anyway here goes: The issue of no longer getting HR graphing and HR data along with GPS mapping seems to have first occurred on or around July 29th. It affects both iOS and Android. It affects FitBit app 3.1 3.2, 3.3, 3.3.1 and 3.4. FitBit app 3.1 was available prior to July 29th and successfully produced the HR graphing which suggests that FitBit app version 3 is NOT the issue. There are a variety of trackers which are affected these include but are not necessarily confined to Alta HR, Versa, Charge 2, Charge 3 and Inspire. At least two of the 97 people affected have been given replacement trackers, neither of these people had success in resolving the issue. This is strong evidence that the issue is not a problem with the trackers. Geographic location does not appear to be a factor: From screen shots it is apparent that people in Australia, New Zealand, USA and England to name a few countries are all affected.

FitBit have the resources of developers and software engineers who should have been looking at this issue for weeks. We have been fed a steady diet of vague rubbish. The reply from my 16th email to Customer Support was "we are currently working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible". This sounds like a cut and paste from a catalogue of "things to say to customers when you want to buy some time". This will only generate anger, frustration and suspicion, not to mention our own theories as to what really is going on.

It is time for FitBit to be more open and honest about what is happening here. 

Best Answer

I am getting responses from fitbit customer support that are basically trying to make it sound like an issue with how I use the app and watch.  So disappointed. I feel that they are covering up an issue.  Has anyone resolved this issue yet.  I used to love my fitbit.  Been over a month of disappointment now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any solution Alejandra? It seems this problem is widespread and persistent. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I say this politely?  

Tech support is lying. 

I walk the same 3 mile path every day. One day my heart rate was being tracked with gps and the next day it wasn’t. Nothing changed on how I was using the Charge 3. The only change was a firmware push from Fitbit. I have posted screenshots to support this. If I don’t use gps, the automatic exercise detection will track my heart rate with steps taken. The other change from that same push was that my calories burned for the same 3 mile walk dropped significantly. 

Best Answer

This problem is still not resolved. Heart rate data while I run is very important to me as I train. I’m about to leave the Fitbit family of products after many years of loyalty. It’s sad to see a business fail like this. Reminds me of the blackberry story.

Sent from my iPhone; please excuse my brevity and any typos.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Maybe this is how it will be resolved.  Those of us affected will all change.  No problem to fix any more. 

Best Answer

My most recent run shows heart rate data. 

3D54B5BD-2176-4F5A-81B9-FAA5E8795792.png

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Cool. Is that with an iPhone and a Charge3?  What version iPhone?

My walk today using GPS did not track heart rate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also seeing heart rate data on a GPS tracked activity using Versa 2.

Screenshot_20191024-150736.png

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Mine has got worse. I use the versa but had the same problem. I am getting some every stranger things happening. I am so glad that some of you are beginning to get better outcomes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ShadowAndJeb Can you post screenshots of what you're seeing?  Are you using the GPS function on your Fitbit device - Walk, Run, Hike?

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I’m new to FitBit and obviously I didn’t read this discussion before my purchase (sadly). My parent and my friend are FitBit users, but I didn’t hear from them about this issue. But they use different models and I’m with charge 3.  The issue seem to still exist.  Does anyone receive any good news? Thanks a lot. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No good new. Bring it up as an issue with them. It isn't just the charge 3.
It is an app issue with particular phones. This has been going on for a
long time. There have been some improvements but still a poor buy. If you
have only just got it can you return it because it doesn't work as
advertised? In Australia you definitely could but not sure about other
countries.

Cheers
Deborah
Best Answer

Using an iPhone 6 and a Charge 3 the feature worked up until July 28 and then on July 29 it didn’t.  

Heart rate is not being plotted when GPS tracking is being used. 

Heart rate will be tracked if you allow the exercise auto detect feature to work without GPS. 

Best Answer
Same issue as me. I have a Versa and an android phone
Best Answer

BB677861-B9BC-4E47-A203-5EB1908C2A0C.pngsame problem, iPhone X, charge 2

Best Answer

Refund or exchange is not available in my country. 

But, I tried to start a walk from my charge 3 while having my iPhone 6S’ GPS turned on.  The app could record pace with a GPS map/route and heart rate this time. Not sure what made the Charge 3/the app successfully recording both GPS and heart rate data this time though.  The main difference from last time, when it failed to record heart rate, was this time I pressed “start” from the charge 3, and last time I clicked “start” from the app. 

Hope this helps other users...

Best Answer

I only start tracking from the app. I will try starting it from the watch next time. Thanks for the reply!

Best Answer
0 Votes

3CC170DD-9116-496B-9E8F-DE1499A3B1F3.jpeg

 FYI. The walk I took on Friday and logged by pressing start from the Charge 3 instead of from the app. You can see from the screenshot that there are a map (with GPS tracking route) and heart rate recorded. 

Good luck!

Best Answer