Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate monitor not accurate during exercise

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, so I bought my first ever Fitbit  (Charge 3) as a way to help me measure and monitor my level of activity (mainly at the gym). I need to keep my heart rate at a constant rate for fat burning.

Wore it today for the first time at the gym and it just sat at no more than 80bpm. I checked using the gym monitor and I was up at 140bpm. How can something called a Fitbit that is supposed to be about monitoring levels of activity be so inaccurate? 

PS: after about 30-40 minutes of session it suddenly shot up to 150bpm.

I’m hoping this was a one off and net time it is more accurate otherwise I think I’ll have to be emailing Fitbit directly.

Is this a common issue and if so has anyone found a way to increase accuracy?

thanks

Best Answer
172 REPLIES 172

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@wind77 wrote:

@SunsetRunner I enlarged your content to 200%, and I still cannot figure out what is on the picture.

Hope you have a better way to show the data.

uploaded the images to tinypic, this board reduces their size :

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2q8ugyc.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2u7b040.jpg

Hope these links work here, and you can see it more clearly this way. The heartrate logged by the charge3 is constantly higher, and has odd spikes.

Thanks.

I can see from 0:00 - 0:05, Charge 3 recorded HR above 125 bpm, but readings from TT 3 did not exceed 130 bpm.

I presume this is what you were referring to?

looking at all the weird readings, i have some suspicion:

1. The algorithm used in Charge 3, is the same one used in Charge 2?

2. Given the use of new sensor in Charge 3, is there any possibility that the current algorithm not fully compatible with Charge 3?

3. Did Fitbit actually validate the algorithm before rolling out?

Best Answer

@wind77 wrote:

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@wind77 wrote:

@SunsetRunner I enlarged your content to 200%, and I still cannot figure out what is on the picture.

Hope you have a better way to show the data.

uploaded the images to tinypic, this board reduces their size :

http://oi64.tinypic.com/2q8ugyc.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2u7b040.jpg

Hope these links work here, and you can see it more clearly this way. The heartrate logged by the charge3 is constantly higher, and has odd spikes.

Thanks.

I can see from 0:00 - 0:05, Charge 3 recorded HR above 125 bpm, but readings from TT 3 did not exceed 130 bpm.

I presume this is what you were referring to?

looking at all the weird readings, i have some suspicion:

1. The algorithm used in Charge 3, is the same one used in Charge 2?

2. Given the use of new sensor in Charge 3, is there any possibility that the current algorithm not fully compatible with Charge 3?

3. Did Fitbit actually validate the algorithm before rolling out?

Yeah, that is what I'm pointing at. When using the charge2 next to the TT 3 I also had slight differences, but usually within 4-6bpm (which imho is fine and to be expected). From what I noticed, it seems to be totally random on the Charge 3. One workout session it spikes all over the place, the next workout it doesn't show spikes but it's a constant 30bpm+ higher than TT3 or chestband.

I've tested the tightness of the band on different settings, doesn't seem to make a difference. No idea on what causes the issue, but seeing as there are more people with the same kind of issues, I don't think it's something I can influence.

Best Answer

@rs2018 wrote:

Its not the same sensor - turn over the model and look  - you'll see on the charge 3 there is 1 green light. The charge 2 has 2 sensors which are also brighter.  Don't believe what's written - look for yourself.  Pure pulse which may be what you're referring to is more the software and algorithms that interpret the signals the hardware provides.  The hardware (sensor) is different.  Anyways, glad its working for someone.  

As I said: it’s the same sensor as the Ionic and Versa. Not the Charge2.

I had both an Charge2 and Ionic. In my experience the Charge2 sensor was useless for excercise. Ionic sensor was much better. Charge3 sensor is up to par with the Ionic one, for me. I really don’t understand how anyone can say the sensor in the Charge2 is better than the Charge3 one, my experience is just that much different? I am really happy with the Charge3 and the accuracy of the heartrate sensor. I heard from a few friends with new Charge3’s that their sensor also works very well, so it’s not a very widespread problem it seems. The vocal minority on this community would make you believe otherwise, but it’s just not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blackish wrote:

As I said: it’s the same sensor as the Ionic and Versa. Not the Charge2.

I had both an Charge2 and Ionic. In my experience the Charge2 sensor was useless for excercise. Ionic sensor was much better. Charge3 sensor is up to par with the Ionic one, for me. I really don’t understand how anyone can say the sensor in the Charge2 is better than the Charge3 one, my experience is just that much different? I am really happy with the Charge3 and the accuracy of the heartrate sensor. I heard from a few friends with new Charge3’s that their sensor also works very well, so it’s not a very widespread problem it seems. The vocal minority on this community would make you believe otherwise, but it’s just not.

i'm glad for you that you find your Charge 3 satisfactory.

This is a forum for users/non-users to share their experience and problems, and seek help from Fitbit and other users.

@Admroe obviously has encountered a problem, and many other users ( @SunsetRunner, @SunsetRunner, @BrianDil@HikeWithDogs@rs2018, @dcc2013 etc) have reported the same. Some even provided their data to show their case.

Throughout this thread, no Fitbit moderator/staff has deemed appropriate to come out to provide any support.

I'm thus not sure what you hope to achieve by saying that "I heard from a few friends with new Charge3’s that their sensor also works very well" or "The vocal minority on this community would make you believe otherwise".

It does nothing to help the TS nor any other users, and I'm confused that why you're so eager to downplay the problem on behalf of Fitbit, while Fitbit did nothing to address the issue thus far.

Regardless, i'm really glad for you that you're happy with your Charge 3, really.

Best Answer

I've been running twice with the Charge 3 now, and what it records matches my Polar H7 chest belt pretty closely. I kept hearing how terrible Fitbit's optical tracking is left and right since the Charge HR, but personally haven't had issues. I wonder if Fitbit's ever going to divulge how much of it is software, anatomy and/or user error.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wind77 wrote:

i'm glad for you that you find your Charge 3 satisfactory.

I'm thus not sure what you hope to achieve...

It does nothing to help the TS nor any other users, and I'm confused that why you're so eager to downplay the problem on behalf of Fitbit, while Fitbit did nothing to address the issue thus far.

I am really sorry you are having problems with the heartrate sensor of the Charge3, really. As @Admroe stated his problems have subsided by better placement of the tracker. Maybe the heartrate sensor of the Charge3 is a bit more sensitive than the Charge2? You just cannot use the Charge3 as your Charge2 and conclude it sucks when it doesn’t work that way. Just experiment by placing the tracker higher up the wrist, use your other arm, strapping it tighter or looser and see for yourself what works best. The guidelines for placement of Fitbit trackers are very clear, not much anybody here can add to that. Hope it starts working out for you too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue and I’m getting really frustrated, this is my first FitBit and I’m pretty disappointed as for now.

I tried to adjust the strap and the positioning multiple times, I’ve testarted it twice, but I’m still having this issue at least once during every workout.

Best Answer

If your workout involves a lot of sudden arm movements the wrist based measurement could be inaccurate. Also cycling and wrist based heart rate tracking don’t match.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reading all of this, clearly there is something off with the Charge 3.  I am returning my Charge 3 and have gone back to my Charge 2.  BTW, I spoke to a CS supervisor who sent me a prepaid return label.  I asked for a supervisor because the rep I spoke to was argumentative in his broken english and said he wasn't understanding what I was complaining about.

I hope you all keep the pressure on to get a response from Fitbit.  

Best Answer

What exercise doesn't involve a significant amount of arm movement?

This is the first time I have ever posted on a blog / internet / community -whatever you want to call it.  I did so out of genuine frustration.  

Bottom line - Charge 2 tracked the same workout I did every single day for the last 2 years accurately and the charge 3 doesn't - you can't dispute that nor all the others that are having issues.  I'm interested to see if others have solutions slightly, but not really, as I already returned mine figuring things need to be ironed out.  Being as you have no solutions probably best for you to stay off this thread.

I do have to question how many trackers you've used and you're motivation.  If I were very happy with the tracker ... I wouldn't waste my time on the internet scrolling through other users comments ... i'd be happy that the product did what I wanted it to do and I'd probably be exercising like I have in the past 2 years looking at the screens and thinking what great information has been provided ... again as I have the past 2 years for which the new fitbit 3 fell short.

There is no logical reason in my mind why you would be chiming in so forcefully without facts other than there is some other motivating factor or you are really really bored.

Best Answer

If anyone did find a solution - those who acknowledged there is a problem and found some resolution would love to hear?  I believe the majority of folks having issues are actually loyal fitbit users that have been disappointed and, that as I have, most people tried to do the obvious things which have been suggested over and over again - tracker placement, wiping the sensors, making sure the band is tight. 

I'd venture to say that for the people on this post all of these suggestions are an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Best Answer

Ok - one more very stupid simple question - how is this post marked as solved ?  

I just might for the very first time be motivated to do a youtube video - you can't argue with the facts .. you can call it an anomaly ... but I"m sure as on this post ... others will come out of the woodwork supporting that it is something more.

Best Answer

@rs2018 wrote:

If anyone did find a solution - those who acknowledged there is a problem and found some resolution would love to hear?  I believe the majority of folks having issues are actually loyal fitbit users that have been disappointed and, that as I have, most people tried to do the obvious things which have been suggested over and over again - tracker placement, wiping the sensors, making sure the band is tight. 

I'd venture to say that for the people on this post all of these suggestions are an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Customer service sent my complaint over to support, who told me to restart my Charge 3, turn the heart rate off and on and it should resolve the problem. Um, no it did not resolve anything. I agree with you @rs2018 - I have been with Fitbit since 2015 and I’m definitely disappointed in a company whose products have changed my life. I am frustrated that they have created a shoddy product when they have been spot on for the other ones over the years. 

Best Answer

They gave me the same crappy answer, even after i stated right away that I already did the steps, and there is no need to point to a help page since ive been using a Fitbit for a long time now. The firmware update didnt solve anything at all. Right now I'm a bit in doubt to try and return it (bought it locally) but can't go back to charge2 since that was sold (no use for 2 trackers).

The most annoying thing to me would be that Fitbit itself doesn't seem to take the issues serious or even respond. Only the same crappy copy/paste answers like "search for 1565 or 1186" ...

Best Answer

heart rate during exercise is totally inaccurate, may return and go back to the Blaze even with the dwindling battery.

Best Answer

Add me to the list of users with heart rate tracking consistently off by 20-30bpm.

I have several years worth of charge2 data with the same cardio workouts and for the first day or two the charge3 seemed to match fairly closely. Now it's all over the place. I've also noticed major gaps in my daily heart rate logs within the Fitbit app, even though I wear it all the time.

I've cleaned it, reset it, updated it, adjusted it's placement/position, etc. to no avail.     

I've also posted in the recurring alarm thread as that's another issue I'm experiencing...

I'm rather shocked how these issues everyone seems to be having (other than the unit not working at all while off the charger) seem to be things that Fitbit should have down pat by now. I mean.. how do you take a leap backwards on HR accuracy this far into the game, or have an alarm that just doesn't go off at all? It's just embarrassing. 

Best Answer

@Jerbowski wrote:

Add me to the list of users with heart rate tracking consistently off by 20-30bpm.

I'm rather shocked how these issues everyone seems to be having (other than the unit not working at all while off the charger) seem to be things that Fitbit should have down pat by now.

This is exactly the reason why I pointed out my Charge3 works fine. And there are a lot more happy customers.

I understand it’s frustrating when a product (for you) doesn’t work as intended, but it’s not a major hardware fault in all C3’s. Mime really works very well and I have compared it to a Garmin chest strap during 4 excercises and a Garmin FR935 during the day. The C3 has been spot on (for me).

@rs2018 I have used a ChargeHR, Charge2, Blaze and Ionic. Switched to the Garmin FR935 for the past 7 months, but I found the Garmin fitness tracking not very motivating and lacking compared to Fitbit. So now I switched back to Fitbit and a C3. Only the Ionic and Charge3 (and the Garmin) have shown accurate HR readings during excercise (for me).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blackish wrote:

@Jerbowski wrote:

I'm rather shocked how these issues everyone seems to be having (other than the unit not working at all while off the charger) seem to be things that Fitbit should have down pat by now.

This is exactly the reason why I pointed out my Charge3 works fine. And there are a lot more happy customers.

I'm not sure why you think you're being helpful by undermining the actual issues people are having on this thread. If someone isn't posting here (other than you) I would generally assume that their device is working properly. 

Frankly, your behavior is rather insulting. If you don't have an issue and aren't providing support, don't post. You've made it very clear that you don't share the issue this thread is discussing. 

Best Answer

@Jerbowski wrote: 

I'm not sure why you think you're being helpful by undermining the actual issues people are having on this thread. If someone isn't posting here (other than you) I would generally assume that their device is working properly. 

Frankly, your behavior is rather insulting. If you don't have an issue and aren't providing support, don't post. You've made it very clear that you don't share the issue this thread is discussing. 

I got suspicious, and I took time to search for his posts in forum.

After looking through his posts, I have a question:

Does Fitbit hire cyber troopers (aka paid digital online marketers) to downplay/undermine product problems in various forums?

Anyone feel the same?

Best Answer

You’re funny! But I prefer it if you keep personal attacks out of this discussion. I’ve no affiliation with Fitbit. In fact I have been banned from this community last year for being too vocal in my critic of the then new sleep stages.

As I’ve stated before: the guidelines for wearing your tracker are clear and easy to find. The Charge3 has no major hardware problem, otherwise it wouldn’t work for anybody or for me. Even the topic starter has said it now works for him, after following the guidelines. If it doesn’t work for you just contact Fitbit and ask for an exchange or refund.

You should remember this is a community forum. You demand an official response from Fitbit here, but thats not the way this works. Just call them.

Best Answer
0 Votes