Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I track surfing with my Charge 4?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Please share if you have a suggestion for the best exercise setting when surfing with the Charge 4.  Thanks

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @lwagen and welcome to the Help forums.  Pay no attention to the fact that the Outdoor Workout icon shows someone walking with a backpack.  The Outdoor Workout is GPS connected and is designed for things like kayaking, paddle boarding, downhill skiing, and surfing.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @lwagen and welcome to the Help forums.  Pay no attention to the fact that the Outdoor Workout icon shows someone walking with a backpack.  The Outdoor Workout is GPS connected and is designed for things like kayaking, paddle boarding, downhill skiing, and surfing.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @lwagen and @LZeeW, thanks for the input.

I was able to see here that our friend @LZeeW provided instructions about your activity inquiry. Was this the answer you were looking for? If it was, I recommend marking the answer given as the best answer. By doing this, other users with the same inquiry will be able to find a faster response.

Now, if your inquiry/issue wasn’t resolved, let me know and I will be glad to help you out.

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back, @lwagen.

I am glad to see here that our friend's reply helped and that you marked the response as best answer. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Happy stepping!

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also would like to use the built in gps to track my surfing with the Charge 4. I have been using the outdoor workout setting but the gps seems to disconnect as soon as I get in the water. Any help with why this disconnects? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I switched on the outdoor option on my charge 5 and surfed for an hour and a half today but it seems to have counted my steps as well. I was walking at times in shallower waters alright but the step count was very high even for that, what am I doing wrong here? 

Best Answer

Steps are detected by the Fitbit devices courtesy of a 3 axis accelerometer (and not via GPS as a lot of people assume). I'm assuming that during surfing your arms are basically in constant motion... therefore your device tracks 'steps' because of this.

I get this 'feature' too when vigorously cleaning, as well as when I play guitar (even though I'm not a thrash/death metal merchant!! And lots of other people have said they also get the same when they play piano). It's the extended period of time which the accelerometer is providing data to the device which makes the device assume you're locomoting yourself via your feet

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get thousands of steps when driving off-road. Each and every bumb registers as a step. So registering paddling as a steps wouldn't surprise me at all.

As far as the GPS goes, makes sure the GPS setting is 'Built in GPS' on the tracker. Note that this mode eats the battery. Make sure the tracker is fully charged and even then the battery will only last a couple of hours. 

Best Answer