Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does my Charge 2 tracks floors?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just completed 25 floors on the stair master. They do not reflect on my fitbit. Is this correct? and if so, why not?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, @chasoco, that is correct.  While stepping on the step master you are not actually climbing any floors.  The Charge 2 uses an altimeter to measure changes in atmospheric pressure to "estimate" when you have increased your climb by 10' or more.  There is no change in altitude while using the step master.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
36 REPLIES 36

Yes, @chasoco, that is correct.  While stepping on the step master you are not actually climbing any floors.  The Charge 2 uses an altimeter to measure changes in atmospheric pressure to "estimate" when you have increased your climb by 10' or more.  There is no change in altitude while using the step master.

Best Answer
thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have seen the opposite with the floor counts.  Sometimes when I use an elliptical machine, the fitbit would pick up about a dozen flights of stairs, and other times it picks up none.  I also did the same 2 mile walk twice the other day on a mostly flat terrain.  The first time, my charge 2 registered 10 flights of stairs, and the 2nd time, it did not register any.

Floor counting seems very unreliable.

Best Answer

@keything to answer you we have to look at the atmospheric conditions where you are. 

If there is a fan, or a vent blowing air it is possible that your tracker as it moves around is detecting changes in air pressure.

As air blows over an objwct, the leeward side will always have a lower pressure than the force of the wind. This is why the back of a van, suv, or truck gets so dirty.

Best Answer

Hi @Rich_Laue, When it miscounted during my walk, it was outdoors and was cool enough that I had a long sleeve jacket covering the tracker.  When I am on the elliptical, there is no fan or vent in the area blowing on me.  

Appreciate your feedback.

Best Answer

Im not trying to say what causes it, but what could cause it.

Outside a slight wind, approxhing clouds, no wind needed on the ground.

The change in air pressure for one floor is about the weight of a 2 square inche piece of paper.

Best Answer

Appreciate the insight @Rich_Laue!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @keything, how are you today? As @Rich_Laue mentioned, the atmospheric pressure affects the floors recorded. Sometimes your Charge 2 can pick a few extra floors that you are not actually climbing because of some factors such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door. So I hope this clarifies your concern, but if you have further questions, let me know! 

Have a nice day! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Doing great.  Thanks @HeydyF!

Best Answer
0 Votes

i appreciate seeing the ideas given here.  I now have a helicopter badge but I rarely have stairs to climb and I never do the step machine.  I do have to deal with a lot of temperature changes and wind.  i'm ignoring the step climbing "kudos" because I know they aren't real.

Best Answer

I feel the same way.  The numbers don't really reflect or track the activity correctly so I see no value in tracks ng this.

Best Answer

Hey guys! @keything and @livnnoz! Hope that you are having a great day so far! 🙂 Well, yes, as I mentioned, there are many factors that affect the floors tracked, and it is because of the way that the altimeter works. However, if you would like to, you can erase those extra floors not fairly obtained by following the steps on this post to negate that data. So give it a try and let me know! 

Catch ya' later! 

Best Answer

if this explanation is correct, then the counting floor feature is useless.

it would be better to not have a feature if it can not perform reliably.  my estimates are more accurate than this expensive device. 

@Rich_Laue wrote:

@keything to answer you we have to look at the atmospheric conditions where you are. 

If there is a fan, or a vent blowing air it is possible that your tracker as it moves around is detecting changes in air pressure.

As air blows over an objwct, the leeward side will always have a lower pressure than the force of the wind. This is why the back of a van, suv, or truck gets so dirty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When i got my charge two for Christmas it was very accurate with the steps in my home. Every Laundry switch it recorded two flights of stairs. Two months in no more recording. Same steps same everything.  I agree no use having it if it is not accurate. Shut stair tracking off.

Best Answer
0 Votes
it seems instead of turning stair tracking off, i should return the bit. i just started using it 06/01/17. jean adkins
Best Answer
0 Votes

i have a theory about the variable behavior.  i think it depends upon how fast or how vigorous you are as you climb the stairs.  

yesterday morning my first 2 climbs were not counted.  after that, they were.  i think i was carrying a full cup of coffee the first 2 climbs but not afterward.  i know i go slower when i have coffee.  

so i don't think that my bit has a hardware problem but is programmed to record climbs based upon a rate.  to me that makes sense:  the bit would have to have some way of distinguishing a step on the stairs to a full climb.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@couldbe, welcome to the Community! 🙂 Your Fitbit Charge 2 calculates floors using an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure. Though your tracker is designed to look for pressure changes based on elevation gains, pressure changes due to other causes—such as a gust of wind, a weather change, or opening a door—can occasionally cause your tracker to register extra floors. Now regarding the different behavior that you are getting, I'm not really sure that how fast you climb the stairs will affect the amount of floors because to be honest with you, I always get almost the same amount of stairs climbed even if I climb them fast or slow. The only thing that would change is my heart rate or active minutes because the intensity may vary. 

@Peanut56, if your Charge 2 doesn't seem to be tracking your floors correctly, you have to take into consideration the explanation I posted, 'cause the results are not always the same due the atmospheric changes that the altimeter on your Charge 2 registers. However, if these factors are not interfering, and your Charge 2 still inaccurate, I suggest taking a look at the instructions in this post to restart your Charge 2. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Best Answer

after i wrote my question to the community, i found this explanation:  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge/Charge-not-counting-floors/m-p/1040372/thread-id/39621.  the whole thread was helpful.

i had also emailed the fitbit email help department with my question.  today i read their recommendation to restart my charge 2.  since i have been mindful about how i climb the stairs and reset my bit, my climbs have all been counted.  

i think my problem has more to do with the variable way i climb the stairs than to any hardware problem.  i just needed to understand how the charge 2 counted floors.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks will give this and try and let you know.

Best Answer
0 Votes