Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix the band - DIY

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So my 5th Charge HR band wore out again and my 1yr warranty is finally up. A 25% discount doesn't cut for a product I know for a fact won't last more than 3 months. Does anyone know of any 3rd parties that can replace the band or have any nifty ideas on how to fix it? At this point I just keep it in my pocket to track my steps but it would be nice to utilize the full functionality of the device. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43

Unless you can do better than offering a 25% discount on a new watch for watches whose bands fell apart outside of the warranty period then I doubt you will please anyone here, Ferdinand.

Replacement bands go for as cheap as $4 retail on ebay, but of course, we all know that these, too, will likely disintegrate within a couple of years. What would please us? For many it might be free replacement bands indefinitely. For me, I think we should be given a replacement watch with the same functionality for free.

Given this I would continue to buy Fitbit watches. Fitbit makes an awesome watch, it is really very unfortunate that the decisions made regarding the band were such a bad business mistake. Please make good on this and continue to make awesome watches.

Best Answer

Thanks a lot for the feedback @Logregg, I totally understand what you're saying and rest assured that it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

So it looks like the solution to fixing the wristband....is to not go through Fitbit. Find the alternative solution from another company.  Well Fitbit

Do you realize that is poor motivation to make future purchase from your company? My Fitbit is just over a year old. I don t want to buy a new one. I just need a new wrist band.  So I will purchase that from Amazon.... not Fitbit.  I would rather purchase just a wristband from the company that produces the product. But ......

Best Answer

First I have to say that I'm glad (and more than a bit sad) that I am not alone in this experience. My original charge HR was damaged, I got a replacement from Fitbit - that was a good news story as it was past warranty and I got the standard 25% off at first.  It made no sense since this was not wear and tear, but product defect.  Got my new one in September 2017... In fact 362 days ago to be precise.  Now my new one has a band that is bubbling up.  Now I am getting the "past warranty" reply again since the replacement does not have its own warranty, which to me makes no sense.  It's a new device.  Honour your products!!  I this why the Charge HR is no longer available?

In any event, I have the choice of replacing the band myself, which looks hard, but doable; or moving on to a new company with products that last longer.

Love the products / Hate the customer service.  FYI Fitbit, your products are not cheap.  Given the volume of customers complaining of the same issue, it is clearly not wear and tear.  It is a product defect.  Obviously your one year warranty in this case is not suitable.  If you would rather have all of the customers affected move on to Garmin, Samsung, etc. then continue with this policy.  But I, for one, urge you to reconsider this.

Best Answer

Well said.

Best Answer
You are correct. This is my third Fitbit with exactly the same problem. After about a year or wear the band and plastic parts of the Fitbit fall apart. I have called Fitbit several times and all they want to do is offer me 25% off a new one. How about making your product more durable? What happened to pride in your product? They don’t care much about either one. Very disappointed in Fitbit and I don’t have one right now because I’m so upset about their lack of caring.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Fitbit is not following a business model for longevity. Hopefully if they collapse they'll be bought out by someone who adopts their floor counting algorithm. Fitbit is the only one that does it right that I know of.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Thanks for your participation on this thread. Thanks for providing your feedback on this thread and for sharing your experiences here.

Thanks for contacting customer support. If you decide to get a new Fitbit device, check the upcoming Fitbit Charge 3. This device is part of the new generation of Fitbit devices and have interchangeable bands and other awesome features.

See you around! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JayeBG wrote:

First I have to say that I'm glad (and more than a bit sad) that I am not alone in this experience. My original charge HR was damaged, I got a replacement from Fitbit - that was a good news story as it was past warranty and I got the standard 25% off at first.  It made no sense since this was not wear and tear, but product defect.  Got my new one in September 2017... In fact 362 days ago to be precise.  Now my new one has a band that is bubbling up.  Now I am getting the "past warranty" reply again since the replacement does not have its own warranty, which to me makes no sense.  It's a new device.  Honour your products!!  I this why the Charge HR is no longer available?

In any event, I have the choice of replacing the band myself, which looks hard, but doable; or moving on to a new company with products that last longer.

Love the products / Hate the customer service.  FYI Fitbit, your products are not cheap.  Given the volume of customers complaining of the same issue, it is clearly not wear and tear.  It is a product defect.  Obviously your one year warranty in this case is not suitable.  If you would rather have all of the customers affected move on to Garmin, Samsung, etc. then continue with this policy.  But I, for one, urge you to reconsider this.

The Samsung Gear S3 Frontier is nice but the floor counter is terrible & Samsung is completely indifferent to that, and the step counter isn't as accurate as Fitbit's in my opinion.

@SantiR 

The Fitbit Charge 3 looks like a metro-man or gender-neutral version of the Surge.

Did Fitbit upgrade the band material or just make them interchangeable?

Is Fitbit planning to do anything to improve the Surge or is it the end of the line for it?

Moderator Edit: Merged Posts

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s unbelievable to me that your HR is so defective. How many unsatisfied customers do you have to rack up before you stand behind your product? Shame on you! This is not the way to do business! I guess your customers will just have to go elsewhere to get a quality product.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Logregg Thanks for your reply and for sharing your experience on this thread. Thanks for your inquriies regarding the Charge 3 bands.

I was able to find the following information:

"The Fitbit Charge 3 classic band is made of a flexible, durable material similar to that used in many sports watches, and includes an aluminum buckle. The woven band is made from a comfortable polyester and includes an aluminum buckle." Plus they are interchangeable.

Please check all of those bands here.

Regarding Fitbit Surge, we're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we will soon stop selling Fitbit Surge. 

If you're looking for a new device, we recommend considering Ionic. Ionic is a motivating timepiece packed with fitness guidance, health insights, music storage, apps, and more. Find more information about Ionic here.

@Julieboboley Thanks for sharing your feedback on this thread. I'm sure Fitbit is looking for ways to prevent this from happening, like introducing interchangeable bands in their newer devices.

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LogreggThe Surge may just cause you more headaches.  There is a whole forum about the buttons failing to work over time and other problems.  I have one and this is what happened.  Just to be clear, I have had a Zip, 2 Charge HRs and a Surge.  The only one that never gave any issues was the Zip.

Another manufacturer may have a more reasonable warranty and better products.

Best Answer

Hi Diana,

Did you eventually find this out? My strap is out too! I’m so mad. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Drhettie  Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for taking the time to share the experience you have had with your tracker's band. 

I went ahead and created a case with customer support in your behalf for you to get further assistance. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just gone through my second strap which cost me $50 ...just fell off .....nothing wrong with it but unfixable....carried my Fitbit around in my pocket whilst I go for a new strap....but now lost it.....so....with that in mind will now try an Apple ...think the straps might be better....bye bye Fitbit......

Best Answer

@sydney1908 nice to hear from you again. Please apologize the delay in my response. I will be glad to help you with this situation. In order for me to investigate you case further, I kindly ask you to answer the following questions:

- Did you buy an original Fitbit band?

- Did you buy it from us directly?

- Did the tracker or the band (or both) get lost?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Lucia | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Hat dir dieser Post geholfen? Bezeichne ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes all genuine Fitbit parts ….two straps both bought from J and B hifi….$50 each….both fell off at the clasp….which makes them unfixable.

Walked around with watch with one side of the strap in my pocket …..lost it some where ???

Very disappointed in the straps….just not well engineered ….as many others have found out…

Will not be buying a Fitbit next time……its just not good enough.

Peter
Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit is a very cheaply designed product. I will not buy another one ever.
Best Answer

All of the links here go to "access denied". Please advise.

Best Answer

[Sept. 2019]
Although I'm looking for as hypoallergenic, or as not toxic as possible glue to resolve this issue:
    How long did your solution [primer, and 'crazy glue] work for?

Best Answer
0 Votes