Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track laps during the activities?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I would like to be able to record laps during an activity. For instance, on long runs I often stop to go to the bathroom, get a drink  of Water, etc. On my Timex Ironman watch, I simply stop the watch, then restart the time once I resume the activity. Only way I know how to do this with Charge HR is to end the activity, then start a new one when I resume running. This is OK, but not ideal... any solutions other than the one I am using?  Bill

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hello @BarnicklBill, this is actually a great question! If you want to track laps during your activities I'd like to suggest using the Fitbit application to track your workout instead of use the Charge HR. To do this go to the Fitbit application in your phone, tap the activity tile and from the upper right corner select the timer icon, tap on the 'Tracking' tab and start the activity, once you're ready to stop it tap on 'Pause'; to finish the activity tap on the 'Finish' icon (check the pictures attached).

track exercise.PNG

Log activity.PNGmap.png

map 1.png

Hope this helps and let me know the outcome! Cat Embarassed

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about an app on your Ionic Smart Watch that can track laps AND place it in your Fitbit activity section as recorded activity? I found a couple apps for my Ionic but it doesn't;t transfer as recorded activity automatically. I can't even get back into the app info on my watch once stopped so I can manually record it. I lose it all.

The only issue with the Ionic or Versa is just this. I don't want to use my phone. I want to use my watch and have it automatically syphon in that info for me.

Any ideas about this? Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Liberty,
I was hoping my original post would spur some activity (no pun intended) in future Fitbit product development, but apparently noting on the horizon to date.
I'm still old and old school, and I'm wearing both my Fitbit Charge HR AND my old technology Timex Ironman watch, to capture the lap activity. Was hoping to reduce down to one device, but this combination still does the trick. I also use a simple spreadsheet log, which is unheard of in this day and age... the good news is, I'm much more in tune with my exercise progress when I have to manually log it in (my opinion, of course).
Hope Fitbit will consider the lap feature at some point in time. Thanks! 
BarniklBill
Best Answer

Bill, I have the same problem and concern. I wear my Charge 2 and Timex Ironman to keep track of laps. I think it's ridiculous. Any device that is a Fitness tracker (and for the price Fitbit sells it for) should be capable of recording laps on that device while I'm running or walking. Totally illogical.  

Best Answer
Nicefocus… I agree, but I am so accustomed to using the Timex Ironman watch, that I'm more comfortable just keeping laps that way... old school!  I did replace my Charge 2 with a Charge 3 over the holidays. Think you will like all of the advances in the newer product, especially the heart rate and syncing functions, which are more reliable, based on my experience...  
Best Answer

Bill...another problem with the Fitbit (up to Charge 2 anyway, that I can attest) heart monitoring is not close to correct when riding bike, Life Cycle or spin bike etc. I discovered that it will start correct monitoring at around 15 min. Until then, the reading is ridiculously low.  On Charge 3...will keep in mind.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good observation!  I was concerned with performing over my maximum heart rate level awhile back, so I bought a Polar chest monitor to verify my readings. Didn't want to over-cook!  My readings are consistent now on both units, to the point I don't wear the Polar unit anymore. Very pleased with the advances in the Charge 3... but, each to his/her own opinion.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Nice to see you on the Fitbit Forums @BarnicklBill! Thanks for your feedback on the Charge 2 and the laps.I appreciate everything you said. As @BarnicklBill kindly mentioned, the new product have been improved to have this option available, you can check more about it on the article: How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device? About the heart rate recognition while riding bike, please check the way you are wearing the tracker as this can affect the readings, here are some tips on the article: Why don't I see my heart rate on my Fitbit device? Please let me know if you have any questions! Robot Happy

Happy to see you too on the forums @BarnicklBill! Thanks a lot for the input and for the comments about the Charge 3, I'm sure other users will find them helpful. I'm happy to hear that you are happy with this new acquisition and with the advances Fitbit has made. You can also check the articles I shared for more information on these topics. I'll be around if you need anything else! Woman Wink 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have issues with my Fitbit properly recording the distance for my cycling.  However cycling is not an activity which can be selected to track from the app.  It is set as well to automatically recognize cycling after 15 mins, not sure what that is about.  Should I turn that off to get the GPS to work better?   

Best Answer
0 Votes