Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm awake but Fitbit thinks I'm asleep?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Screenshot_2017-10-10-05-51-06.png

I'm awake but Fitbit thinks I'm asleep... For example, last night I was awake from roughly 11:30pm to about 3 am, (to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. a few times and laying in bed, but wide awake listening to podcasts).

This also happens when I go to a movie theater. Fitbit shows I was sleeping the whole time I'm watching a movie.

Since Fitbit uses heart rate to determine sleep, does it need to be calibrated, or dialed in better based on my personal heart rate? If so, is that something I can do from my dashboard?

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @toddsdonaldI'd suggest reviewing the way you are wearing your Charge 2, as you mentioned, your heart rate affects how your sleep is tracked so if you are using it very tight or very loose, that could affects what the accuracy of your sleep stages, or the tracker could not be recording anything at all. In addition, you could perform a restart by following these instructions and check the sensitivity of the sleep feature.

Let me know how it goes! 

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope wearing the Fitbit fine and its tracking heart rate consistently. Attached is example of tonight's movie theater tracking where it shows me asleep.Screenshot_2017-10-15-22-09-47.png

Screenshot_2017-10-15-22-09-02.png

Best Answer

Hey, hey, hey @toddsdonald, nice to see you again. Since this sounds a bit more serious, I've created a Support Case on your behalf, you should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

See you around my friend. Cat Wink

Marlen S. | Community Moderator

What's for breakfast?Check others recipes and share yours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I am also having issues with my charge2, it is saying I am asleep when I know I am awake. at 1pm it shows me as being in light sleep but I was actually checking my clock and hoping I could sleep again, I have had it show I am supposed to be in deep sleep and I have been laying awake. or typing on my computer albeit I am in bed lol. My friend at work on Monday are planning to swap fitbits for the day as she said that hers is sometimes not picking up her heart rate. We plan to do the same activity during the day and check out the readings.

sorry should say 01:00 not 1pm (13:00)

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Funny I have the opposite problem. Mine records steps nearly all the time I’m sleeping. Customer service says it’s behaving as it should so no replacement.  What a horrible company!

Best Answer

Hi Marlen. I’m also having issues where I will go see a movie or a show and my Fitbit thinks I’m sleeping when I am definitely awake. How can this be solved?

Best Answer

My Fitbit also says I'm asleep when I'm awake. I got up about 5 this morning. Then went back to bed and watched TV until about 7:30. The chart showed I was asleep until 7:30. This is the second time this month that the same thing happened. I have this item for about a year and wear it every day. Is there a built in obsolescence? 

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem, I'm getting consistent heart rate readings but it thinks I'm asleep when I'm awake. At first I thought it may have just been for that night, but it's been doing I for weeks. I've tried wearing it tighter and more loose and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Please help lol

Best Answer

I just got the charge 3 about a week ago but I noticed it does this too. My alarm will go off and I'll lay in bed for a few minutes. When I sync my watch with my phone it will think I had just woken up that minute

Best Answer

I just got a charge 3 for Christmas, so it’s presumably not obsolete. I have had a respiratory infection and have been up most of the night for 3 nights coughing, but my Fitbit thinks that I am not only asleep, but that I am getting good sleep?!?!?! 

Best Answer

Hi my Fitbit versa is saying I’m asleep while awake too. Even registered light, deep and rem sleep too. I was awake playing on my iPad watching my husband (who has sleep apnea) to make sure he slept well. How can this happen? Will this be fixed or should I try a different brand smart watch? 

Best Answer

I have a versa lite, a replacement for one that died while still under warranty.  I’m having the same problem (which I did not have with my old one). Last night it showed I was sleeping From 5-6:50 pm when I was actually reading. The sleep sensitivity is set for normal.  

Best Answer

I have an inspire hr Fitbit watch and it does the same thing that saying that I'm sleeping when I'm awake. Just wanted to let you know I was wondering the same thing and many others are too. (I don't want to get neurological/psychological scientific on here if it has to do with the brain, brain behavior, activity.)

Best Answer

I also just got the Fitbit Inspire HR and was awake from 2:30am to 4:30am tossing and turning and trying to go back to sleep. My Fitbit recorded awake, rem, and light sleep the entire time. How accurate is this thing...?

Best Answer

My wife has a Fitbit Charge 3 and it shows her asleep when she is sitting in the family room watching TV. I have tried to find where to adjust the sensitivity but the instructions given don't match the watch function. The watch is a couple years old, which may explain the difference.

Best Answer

My recently bought Sense has exactly the same problem. Last night I was watching television and it was recorded as “deep sleep”. Absolute rubbish. This is a persistent bug and Fitbit isn’t fixing it.

Best Answer

It really serves me no purpose other than telling the time and notifying me when I have a text or phone call. I went for a stress test earlier this week. They boosted my heart rate to about 130 and my Fitbit HR gave me a reading of 96. I mentioned it to the doctor and she said, “In my experience Fitbit is wildly inaccurate.”

So after this thing bites the dust, that will be the last one for me and good riddance!

Best Answer

This morning when I woke up, I looked at the time on my fitbit. Below it, is my step count. It told me I had taken 7 steps. I was still in bed. 

I read a report posted by a doctor on another site. she said that the Fitbit is totally unreliable and inaccurate in all of its readings.

Best Answer
My wife has a Charge 3 and I have a Versa. We use hers mostly for walking
because the sleep function is worthless. It shows her asleep while sitting
in a chair. She has some health issues and doesn't move much but still.

She walks with a walker and so we had to get an ankle bracelet to get step
measurements, since her arms don't move with the walker.

My Versa seems to work pretty well for walking and sleep.

Both work well for heart rate. We have a BP tester that of course also
checks heart rate and it agrees with our fitbits.

Overall a mixed bag.
Best Answer