Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect time for when I fall asleep.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Charge 2.  It tracks my restlessness, time awake and time I get up just fine but the time I fall asleep is 30-90 minutes off.  Sometimes I doze off for literally a few minutes around 10-10:30 but then am up up and don't actually turn off the lights and shut down to go to sleep until 11:30 or 12:30. 

And it is not as if it shows that I go to sleep at 10 but then wake up at 11 and am up until 12:30. It shows me getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep when I actually got 4 or 5.

Any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's great to see you around @GreenEyedRedzSmiley Very Happy Time asleep is calculated by subtracting your time awake or restless from the overall tracked time. For example, if you slept eight hours, but woke up two times for 15 minutes each, the time asleep will show 7 hr 30 min. Your sleep quality is based on whether you were asleep, restless, or fully awake.

You can try changing your settings from normal to sensitive or viceversa. To change your setting in the Fitbit app for iOS or Windows 10, go to Account > Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity. To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices> scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

Have you tried restarting your tracker? If not yet, follow these steps to complete a restart (do it 3 times in a row). 

Keep me posted! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
19 REPLIES 19

It's great to see you around @GreenEyedRedzSmiley Very Happy Time asleep is calculated by subtracting your time awake or restless from the overall tracked time. For example, if you slept eight hours, but woke up two times for 15 minutes each, the time asleep will show 7 hr 30 min. Your sleep quality is based on whether you were asleep, restless, or fully awake.

You can try changing your settings from normal to sensitive or viceversa. To change your setting in the Fitbit app for iOS or Windows 10, go to Account > Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity. To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices> scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

Have you tried restarting your tracker? If not yet, follow these steps to complete a restart (do it 3 times in a row). 

Keep me posted! 

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I am back from vacation and will try this.

Moderator edit: personal information removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

For sure @GreenEyedRedz! 🙂 Don't forget to keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having this same issue. Did you get this resolved?

The last two nights I was asleep around 11 and 1130, but my tracker says asleep time was 0100 and 0230 respectively, obviously significantly changing the time it says I was asleep. 

Restarted a couple times with no change. 

Best Answer

Hey there @lytefall, thanks for stopping by! This is the first time you noticed that your sleep history is not correct? If so, I'd recommend checking if the firmware on your tracker is up to date as described in this post. In case it needs to be updated, do it and then go for these steps:

• Log out of your Fitbit App
  • Force quit the App
  • Restart your tracker 3 times in a row 
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit App

Test your tracker tonight to see if tomorrow morning your sleep graph shows correctly. Smiley Very Happy

Let me know the outcome! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply. I didn't do anything extra since the last time it recorded incorrectly and it seems to have recorded my sleep accurately last night. Very strange. 

Are there any factors with me that that could be influencing this? It's a combination of resting HR and inactivity that triggers the sleep tracker right?Could it be from working out too close to bedtime or something similar? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @lytefallSleep stages are traditionally measured in a lab using an electroencephalogram to detect brain activity along with other systems to monitor eye and muscle activity. While this method is the gold standard for measuring sleep stages, your tracker can estimate your sleep stages in a more comfortable, convenient way.

Fitbit estimates your sleep stages using a combination of your movement and heart-rate patterns. When you haven’t moved for about an hour, your tracker assumes that you’re asleep. Additional data—such as the length of time your movements are indicative of sleep behavior (such as rolling over, etc.)—help confirm that you’re asleep. While you’re sleeping, your device tracks the beat-to-beat changes in your heart rate, known as heart rate variability (HRV), which fluctuate as you transition between light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep stages. When you sync your tracker in the morning, we use your movement and heart rate patterns to estimate your sleep cycles from the previous night. 

However, there are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of sleep stages:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your tracker from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your tracker higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your tracker to bed). For more information on automatic sleep tracking, see How do I track my sleep?
  • If you slept for less than 3 hours.
  • If your tracker’s battery is critically low.

I'm glad to hear that your sleep is working now, though. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I will give these suggestions a try!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me last night. I saw that the app says I fell asleep at 0100. I went to bed at 2300, and slept almost immediately, on the side that my Fitbit is worn on. I know I didn’t move as I have a “sleep system” to cope with back pain. What happened to alter the time of my sleep starting on my Alta?

Best Answer

This just happened to me too. I know I went to sleep between 12 and 1, and the Alta HR heartbeat record shows a similar pattern to sleep, yet it claims I went to sleep at 3am. Several weeks ago, it did something similar, saying I woke up several hours before I did when I definitely was sleeping.

that sequence in the person’s recommendation seems quite complicated, so I don’t want to try it if there may be something simple that will fix it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine settled down over time and started tracking sleep very well.

Heart Rate monitor is a bit wobbly... I try to resent device but I still get two dashes or a rate of 160bpm even if I take it off during workout.  I must have really strong pulse for it to register when the device is sitting on the treadmill tray.  🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have sleep sensitivity under advanced settings. Many times is has my sleep time an hour after I have turned off he lights and gone to sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly same for me.  About every 5th day it says i went to sleep an hour after i did.  Also no sensitivity setting 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s happening again – does anyone know of a fix for this?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, my fitbit Charge 3 does not have sleep sensitivity setting. I have the same problem with sleep recording, although it happens every night without fail. My fitbit sleep start time is always more or less 2 hours after I actually fall asleep. Even if I take a sleeping pill.

I've tried all of these suggestions without any luck.

Do you have any more information about this problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No and just this morning it indicated i went to sleep 2 hours after i did.  I have a bigger issue which is a bright halo on my fitbit that blocks you from reading anything!!!!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 says my sleep schedule last night started at 10:10 pm (I wasn't even wearing it then) and the sleep log starts then.  When I go to "edit sleep schedule" it shows the correct time "to bed" time as 11. This has happened before where my setting is correct, but the schedule it gives me on various days is not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me too - is there a way to edit the time Fitbit says I went to sleep? 
I have a charge 4, went to sleep at 11:15pm but the Fitbit sleep is saying my bedtime was 12:50 am so it cut my sleep about 90 mins short. This is the second time this has happened since purchasing a few weeks ago. 

I will go through the steps noted but want to change the start time of sleep so the score is not inaccurate 

Best Answer

This has been a chronic issue for me.  It occurred with the Versa and Versa 2.  I went to cheaper trackers that tended to be more accurate in terms of time asleep.  But I upgraded to the Sense 2 thinking that its more sophisticated hardware might be the answer. Sad to say that it also fails to register the first 1 to 2 hours of time asleep. Sometimes,  it seems to start recording sleep after the time I get up to go to the bathroom.  All the standard remedies have been tried.  Are there any other apps that are compatible and that might use their analytics to produce make better use of all the data this thing collects?

Best Answer
0 Votes