Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low heart rate; not an athlete

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hello, I just got my Charge HR today and I love it. However, the heart rate aspect has me uneasy. While resting, I've seen it drop at low as 55. I understand this can be good if you are an athlete, but I am not. I'm not overweight and I eat healthy, but I exercise only once every 1-2 weeks. I also have a sedentary job. This has be concerned and I'm not sure what to expect when it records my HR while I sleep tonight. I've had an EKG in the past, and it was normal. Thought?
Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

i was surprised to have 42-44 bpm at night, during my holidays in august 2015.

i'm not an athlete, nearly 60 old.

your heart rate will depend also on food (alcool -> heart rate up), quantity of food (as Xmas period), medical drugs

55 bpm is not abnormal, i can be at 50 when writing messages !

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Brittneyneff wrote:
Hello, I just got my Charge HR today and I love it. However, the heart rate aspect has me uneasy. While resting, I've seen it drop at low as 55. I understand this can be good if you are an athlete, but I am not. I'm not overweight and I eat healthy, but I exercise only once every 1-2 weeks. I also have a sedentary job. This has be concerned and I'm not sure what to expect when it records my HR while I sleep tonight. I've had an EKG in the past, and it was normal. Thought?

Relax, there is nothing unusual or abnormal about your resting heart rate.

Best Answer

What is your resting heart rate? Are you concerned your rate is too low or if the Fitbit is inaccurate? Find your pulse and count the number of beats in a minute or count the number of beats in 10seconds and multiply by 6. If the numbers are close to your Fitbit, it's accurate.

That said, I'm a 29y/o female who runs 3+ mi, 3-6 times a week. My heart rate varies during what time of the month it is: from my period to ovulation mine drops to about 58, give or take a couple, and then it increases over a few days to about 68 where it stays until my period again. I'm not sure I'd be too terribly worried if that is your heartrate, but if you're worried, see a physician.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Having it on for a few days, my Resting Heart Rate is around 58
Best Answer
0 Votes
When I sleep, it's gotten down to 50
Best Answer

@Brittneyneff wrote:
Having it on for a few days, my Resting Heart Rate is around 58

@Brittneyneff wrote:
When I sleep, it's gotten down to 50

Sounds about right; nothing unusual about your heart rates.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi...I've had my HR fior 6 months and have never had my heart rate go into the 40's and I workout/run 5 days a week...maybe it's the tracker itself?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, exercise and fitness are only part of the formula for a low heart rate; genetics also play a significant part.

The above said, six months is really just getting started.  Consider the following 1-year plot for my Resting Heart rate; I have run off and on for much of my life and prior to this plot I had been running between 100 and 250 miles per month for over two years:

RHR-Year3.png

You'll notice a few things:

• My June 2015 RHR was ~45.5 and I was already well into a good summer of racing.
  • During the fall I suffered a non-running related injury which was made worse when running; I cut my mileage back in October 2015 and completely quit running in early December.  That's when my RHR rose up into the low 50s.
  • In late February I gradually worked my way back into running and just this month I logged over 200 miles for the first time since early last fall.  My current RHR is typically being reported as 41 and my sleeping heart rate (SHR?) is typically a point or two either side of 35.
Best Answer

Hey! I just came across your post. I know it’s been a couple of years but I’m concerned about something similar. I’m 36, eat healthy, but don’t really exercise and sometimes my resting heart rate is 57-58. Did you ask your doc if that’s normal? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just stumbled on this post. I’ve been very worried lately. I’m by no means an athlete. I work out 3x’s a week, moderate strength training. Not much cardio. I’m 45 and my resting heart rate is always around 45. 4 years ago I had a heart cath done and it was normal. At that time my heart rate was @ 50 at rest but now it’s 45. I feel a little fatigued but nothing out of the ordinary. 

Best Answer

Hi anything come of your resting heart rate at 45? Mines the same and im quite worried

Best Answer
  • I have the same and found out that I have an under active thyroid. RHR increased when on the right meds. 
Best Answer
0 Votes