Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not showing Sleep Stages - possible reason why

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

Edit: I posted this before I updated to the new version of the app (Android) that was released on the same day. Last night, I got a nice sleeping stages view and following with an automatic separation of the 'Nap time' with patterns that happened right after...

I'm hoping this will be delivered to the Fitbit tech team, as I'm (and many other) experiencing issues of sleep tracking does not show the sleep stages only the pattern. Usually, it works fine for a bit, and than suddenly, no more sleep states. 

if you search about this issue, you will find a lot of suggestions to fix this problem from reset your device, the location of the Fitbit on the wrist (constant heart rate) to remove the sleep data and add it again. None of them are the cause of the issue, as for most of us, it worked perfectly until it didn't. 

I think that I found a hint for that the issue might be, and hoping that the Fitbit team will get it and will investigate further. I think the issue is with the backend when processing the data, and I have a proof for it! 

In the past two months of owning the Charge 3, after i suddenly stop seeing the sleep stages, I have noticed that at times when I awake in the middle of the night, I see the stages, and in the morning, they are gone, converted to patterns. I had two theories: 1. Is that as soon as the device sense a nap that follows the night time sleep, it flag the entire sleep duration as a nap and therefore, does not shows the sleep stages, and, 2. I have notices that the heart rate actually sync few min AFTER the sleep is, which, if following the rules, sleep stages needs heart rate measurement, and if the app does not get it, it will not show the stages. 

However, today, I had the perfect opportunity to proof that something is wrong with the backend process, and I would like to share my finding with you all. 

Please see the attach screen shot below and note the time stamp:
at 7:12am I got a nice sleep stages view (left), and at 9:02 it changed to sleep patterns (right). 
immediately, I have noticed something else - the sleep tracking indicates that I was a sleep until 8:11am, while in reality, I was already 11 minutes in my first work meeting of the day. 

Sleep_Stages_001_Fitbit.png

now, things are getting interesting... I was thinking: what if I'll delete the data and add it again only until 6:49am, Do I get back the sleep stages?... and I did! , from there, I wanted to find the exact point where the sleep states transformed into sleep patterns, and I found the exact moment: 7:01am to 7:02am. 
See the screenshots below. 

Here, at 7:02am (left), it shows the sleep patterns, and indicates that I slept for 7 hours and 37 min, now, I have deleted the data and added it again, this time ONE MINUTE less, to 7:01am (right), and behold! I have the sleep stages again! and weirdly enough, my sleep duration has changed to 7 hours and 2 min. There is a 35 min difference in the sleep duration between one minute of sleep data (which may be because with the sleep stages I'm getting more accurate count of minutes being awake, and I'm too lazy to actually do the calculation, so, please excuse me for not going all that scientific 🙂

I'm sure the Fitbit QA team will find this interesting and will proof that something in the back end calculation is wrong... and just to point out: this is not a odd one. I have managed to repeat this in other past occasions. 

Sleep_Stages_002_Fitbit.png

Hoping this would help to solve the issue.

Best Answer
77 REPLIES 77

Hey @G45, it's great to see you around.

I appreciate all the information and attachments provided. It's great to know that you found a solution for this issue and that your sleep information is now fine. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Keep the stepping up! Smiley Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, I celebrated too soon... 

yes, I do have the newest Android update. Yes, it did worked for one night (as my edited note said). But, it again, for last night report, its showing the sleep patterns instead of stages.

I did tried to do the thing I described on my initial post, but, no luck. I did noticed that the heart rate data syncs minutes after the sleep data did, which might be the reason... 

Tonight, I will try to reset the device and see what the morning will bring. 

Best Answer

I'm also having an issue with my Charge 3 having stopped recording my sleep stages.

I have restarted the band, checked how I am wearing it.  I haven't been as organised as you G45 🙂

I do find it odd that it appears a few of us are having issues with it recording sleep stages around the same time as both each other and a firmware update.

My Charge 3 records my Heart rate just fine during the day and was recording my sleep stages up until 3 nights ago......

Does anyone have an ideas that aren't, restarting the band or checking the bands position for those of us who have already done that?

Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

Thanks for the update @G45 and @JennyPass it's great to see you here.

There are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of sleep stages:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your device from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your device higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your device to bed). For more information on automatic sleep tracking, see How do I track my sleep?
  • If you slept for less than 3 hours.
  • If your device’s battery is critically low.

Let me know how it goes. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

i always use the Begin Sleep now, but get the straight bars, and no real reference to time intervals. in December 2018 i got the wavy lines, apparently the new Version  only shows straight vertical lines. i agree IT needs to fix. (user should NoT have to edit data) otherwise why buy a product that does live up to what was expected

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit inspire for 4 days. Two nights it showed sleep stages, two it didn’t. It’s pretty frustratinh.

Best Answer

I’m having a sleep stage issue too.   It worked for several months and suddenly stopped recording sleep stages.   I tried recommended fixes..making sure band was properly positioned etc.   not using begin sleep now feature.  What else can I do?   So disappointed this isn’t working.

i also cannot change the time on the watch to ET.  I change it in settings but the watch doesn’t change... it shows Los Angeles but should be NY.   Again..so disappointed.   Fitbit is not a device I would recommend.  It is seriously flawed

Best Answer

I am tired of reading these same old suggestions.  I've tried everything suggested (i.e. repositioning the device on away from my wrist, making sure that it is tight but not too tight, seeing that my battery is well-charged, etc.), but none of these steps appear to have any reliable effect.  My Fitbit shows sleep stages for a couple of months, then stops.  Maybe now and then it will work for a day, the then not thereafter.  Then all of a sudden it resume working and function fine constantly for a few months.  In short, it is completely unpredictable and completely frustrating.  A major reason I purchased my Fitbit was because of the sleep tracking.  Now it is again in a non-functioning sleep stage tracking  phase.  I was about to purchase a premium membership last week, but then right when I was ready to do so, that is when my sleep stages stopped working.  No way would I buy an upgraded membership now that the device again stopped recording sleep data properly.

Best Answer

I seem to be having the same problem with sleep data too, a bit disappointing as the only reason I got this device to track sleep data. This is my 3rd night of using fitbit, 1st night worked fine the other two did not. After reading other posts I am considering returning the device. I gonna try to reset the device this evening but it is about ridiculous that bran new device works only 1 out of 3 nights...  

Best Answer
  •  I'm sorry you're "tired of reading the same old suggestions." A course in simple etiquette would help. Rather than insulting those who try to help. Maybe a more appropriate approach - for one with your intellectual prowes, would be to contact the company.   While refraining from additional comments, I will suggest a more courteous response.
  • Thank you for all of your help. It didn't seem to work. I will try and seek alternative methods for assistance. 
  • I, sincerely, hope that  you do find a fix. If so, we would appreciate the kindness your feedback.
  • Have a nice day.
Best Answer
0 Votes
So, Resorting to attacking the messenger rather than acknowledging and
responding to the the message? Not exactly an original tactic nor a
helpful one. Gee, I wonder who else makes use of that tactic?
Best Answer

Why assist? You clearly stated you we tired of the same old information.
Attack? You attacted those who tried to assist. I gave you information
regarding a course of action, since this forum did not seem to meet your
desired outcome.

A softer approach would be far more effective.
Please reread both posts. I'm sorry you took it personally. Again, I wish
you well in your search. I sincerely encouraged you to share information,
if it can be found.

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, I don't read minds. Having no idea "who else makes use of that tactic." Please, please oblige me!

My only guess would be the same person who hides behind their own words.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same issues with my Android. Sleep stages worked fine until 45 days ago. 

Best Answer

I also have the same problem and I've tried all the suggestion which haven't worked for me.

Best Answer

Hi Lorrie, I think I have found the trick to get this working. Try to strap the watch loosely so you can move it over your wrist bone. Since I have done that I get the reading every night.Give it a go it might work for you too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Chris. Are you saying to put it on the wrist bone? Or in front or back of the wrist bone? I’m willing to try anything in hopes of getting results.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lorrie15,

I think what they advise is the watch to be two fingers away from wrist bone. What it makes work for me was strapping it loosely, so you can almost move it over wrist bone ( i have a skinny hands 🙂 ). I needed to play with how loose it needs to be to do reading and find a sweet spot. I suggest to try it out with different holes on the strap to see if that works for you. I will try to post few pics in next few days, if possible to show you how I have got it working. Let me know if that has worked for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Chris. I tried your idea and still didn’t work. I’ve tried wearing it on the inside of my wrist which didn’t work either. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! My Husband bought be a charge 3 for my birthday this month ..... solely for the sleep tracking.  I have had issues from day one with receiving sleep stages/pattern information.  I spent a week on the phone with fitbit for the conclusion being that I had a bad device.  They sent me a new one. *Drumroll* ..... I woke up this morning using my new device and no sleep stages appeared along with some data missing regarding my night of sleep. I give up.  This device will be returned if I can’t get the sleep stages AND patterns to appear as it should.  

Best Answer