Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physically demanding job

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm new to Fitbit - just purchased a Charge 4 and still getting to grips with it.

I've got a physically demanding job - lots of walking, and carrying and lifting heavy items (8 hours a day, 5 days a week). Do I need to manually record each shift on my device as a workout (eg, select workout on my device, press play at the start of my shift and then stop at the end of my shift)? Or will my device just record all the metrics for me without my having to do anything? If the latter, would there be any benefit or drawback in manually recording each shift?

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Either way would be fine; just a matter of how you want to see your data.

Either way, it will record all your data in daily totals.

If you record each shift as a workout, it will easily show you total calories and steps for your work time, plus average heart rate.

If you don't start it as a workout, it might auto-recognize part of day as workouts, say if you are walking for at least 15 minutes (can be set as low as 10 minutes minimum), and it might interpret some of your motions as other activities.

But daily totals totals will be same either way.  Some people are concerned that they get credit for workouts and 'days of exercise';  some are more concerned with total steps and/or calories burned per day.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

That's very useful, thanks very much 👍

Best Answer

Afterthought, you might try a day each way just to compare.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I had considered doing that. I've got this week off work, so will give both approaches a go when I return next week. Thanks for your input.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner   Personally, I would not use the Exercise app on the Charge 4 for a day of work.  The Exercise app must run in the foreground.  You can't change to any other screen while this is active.  I would just let it do its thing and check on it later.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Good point I had forgotten about; As @LZeeW pointed out, when in exercise mode, you cannot switch to any other screens, so probably not a good idea.  You could just put it in exercise mode for a few hours at home to see the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah, I see. Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, a really physically demanding job. Maybe you should change it? Is there such a possibility? As a person who works an HR, I think I can tell you about it. Be sure to get enough sleep and go to bed on the eve of the interview no later than 23.00 (at this time, according to circadian rhythms, the processes of restoring the nervous system are launched in the body). Many people are nervous on the eve of the interview and, to distract themselves, they sit after midnight on social networks, watching movies or computer games, and so on. This is a vicious practice because lack of sleep primarily affects the occurrence of increased anxiety and nervousness and creates difficulties for concentration. I did this before the interview at wallstreetoasis.com .

Best Answer
0 Votes