Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up two Charge 2 devices on one account

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a second Charge 2 and would like to add it to my account. However, the app is forcing me to disconnect the first one in order to add the second one. How do I connect both to my account so I can switch back and forth between them?

Best Answer
108 REPLIES 108

@Cinny,

Welcome to the community!

The answer is that you can't. Multi-tracker support is pretty explicit in supporting only one of each model tracker:

"You can pair one each of the following tracker types: Zip, One, Flex, Charge, Charge HR, Alta, Blaze, Surge, and MobileTrack. You can not pair two of the same tracker to your account."

Though, since there are new trackers, naturally one of each.

That said, you do need to be disciplined about syncing in order to use multiple trackers... otherwise you may lose steps (you'll see a number of accounts of this in the forum).

I can certainly see the desire to use different models for different features (hence the reason why Fitbit added this feature), why the need to have two of the same model?

We may be able to suggest a viable workaround.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

"why the need to have two of the same model?"

Because while one is charging I would wear the other one! I find it very surprising and inconvenient that I can't have two of the same model and I hope this is modified in the near future. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way! 

Best Answer

@Cinny,

Like I mentioned before, you need to be (ultra) disciplined about syncing (both devices and in the correct order) otherwise you may run the risk of losing steps.  There are many accounts of this...  Just search the forums.

The easiest way to keep your Fitbit charged is to simply charge it while you are not actually stepping...  the two common instances of that are while you're showering (since you should not wear it then anyway) and while you're driving.  Trust me on this, if you plug it in for 20 minutes everyday, it'll maintain its charge indefinitely.

If you think you might leave it at home while you're charging it, then loop your charging cable through your house keys.  You can't leave your house without your keys, so you can't leave your house without your Fitbit.

That said, when my Fitbit is low on charge, I'll just sit down and charge it within a day...  and I've maintained 20k steps for over 42 days without needing to put one on the moment I take one off.  Here's the graph to prove the point:

fitbit-20kdays.jpg

That's over 5 charge cycles.

One of the reasons I can see why Fitbit doesn't do two of the same model tracker is because some elements of the UI would be just too ambiguous.  Let's say you have an early flight and don't want to wake your spouse.  You set the silent alarm on your Charge 2 (and sync it) to wake you up at 5am and wear it to bed.  It goes off.  The one that you're not wearing goes off at 5am and you miss your flight.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer

My child and I have the same model of tracker. She's not allowed her own smart phone. How do I track her info and my own separately?

Best Answer

Hello @JamileeG,

Welcome to the community!

Even if you had two different model trackers, you would not want to pair them to the same account, since one tracker's activity may cancel the other.

First, you'll need to establish an account for her (different e-mail address) and pair her tracker to that account.

Second, you don't necessarily need to sync with a smartphone.  There are a wealth of other devices that will sync your Fitbit, like:

• iPod Touch
  • Tablet (Windows, Android, or iOS)
  • Computers

Note: if you use a computer to sync, you may also configure it so that you can sync both (yours and hers) Fitbits.  You'll need to run Fitbit Connect and get a Fitbit USB Dongle.  If you contact support, you can probably sweet talk them into sending you one.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

The Win 10 app has an option called connect mode, enable this mode and the win 10 app will sync every tracker it is able to communicate with. 

Best Answer

I ordered two through Charge 2's through Airmiles because I wanted to use my Airmiles before I lose them for example. My intention was to have one for sports wearing and the other when I am out and double as a watch.  Everything previously worked with my 2nd one which was a Charge HR. According to what I saw here on Fitbit's site it said you could have two sync, but it wasn't clear on whether they had to be different types...so that's why I got a second Fitbit the same as I thought it would still work. Now it doesn't. I understand it can cause problems, but Fitbit's site needs to be more clear that it only works for two DIFFERENT ones.  I just read something here around using two different emails and how that would work. So far I haven't had success with that option.

Best Answer

Fitbit has an extensive help site. a soluble by clicking on help that's found below. 

Can I use more than one Fitbit device with the same account?

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply.  It worked fine when I had two different types of Fitbit bands. But as I stated, doesn't seem to work when they are the same type.  It wouldn't let me set up the 2nd device when it was the same.

Best Answer

Did you follow the link to the help document on your questionqthat is in my last post? It will explain what your seeing. 

Best Answer

I think what Kwantie is saying is that you can't connect a Charge 2, and another Charge 2 to the same account without disconnecting one.  I am having the same issue... I just received my new Charge 2 after spotting a couple of cracks in the screen of my old one.  Thought I would use my old one for workouts and to my part time ranch job where it gets pretty dirty, and wear the new one to my regular desk-jockey job.  But the information on the link you posted says they have to be 2 different models.  Wish I'd known that before ordering the new one.  I must've had a Charge HR and a Charge when this happened in the past.

In any case, I saw where one of the mods said they put a request in to the developers to consider this issue about 2 years ago.  Either it is a difficult problem to solve, or not a high priority.  Too bad, because I see there are a lot of posts about it.

Best Answer

Have you added your vote to the request? After 3 years, it seems only 400 out of the millions of Fitbit users seem to want this option. 

Two of the same model tracker

Best Answer

I have the same question. 

Best Answer

And what is that question @Cgreed23

Best Answer

No questions needed .. it is not currently possible. I hope that clears things up.

Lets get Our Steps On
Best Answer
0 Votes
My son doesn’t have an iphone & thus far I have synced his charge 2 with my phone. I now have a Charge 2 as well. Can I open another account for my Charge 2 & manage them both from the app on my phone. If not what do you suggest?

c•G•r
Best Answer
0 Votes

My son doesn’t have an iphone & thus far I have synced his charge 2 with my phone. I now have a Charge 2 as well. Can I open another account for my Charge 2 & manage them both from the app on my phone. If not what do you suggest?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry Rich scroll down to see my question.

thanks for your assistance

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Rich. I added my vote.

Best Answer