Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up two Charge 2 devices on one account

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a second Charge 2 and would like to add it to my account. However, the app is forcing me to disconnect the first one in order to add the second one. How do I connect both to my account so I can switch back and forth between them?

Best Answer
108 REPLIES 108

@Cgreed23  There is no problem with you having a Charge 2 on your account and your son having a Charge 2 on his account.  They are two different accounts, not two identical devices on the same account.

When using the same phone for syncing, you will need to log out of your account.  Then your son logs in to his account.  When you do this, you might need to be 10 or more feet apart from each other to prevent weird Bluetooth interference.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you. Thats what I needed to know! Cheers

Best Answer

Can you set up two charge 2 to one account. 

Best Answer

@twochargers,

Welcome to the community!

No, you may set up one of each model on your account, but not more than one of the same model.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer

Hi everyone! As @PureEvil, @Rich_Laue and @LZeeW have explained currently you can only have one tracker of the same type setup on your account but you can setup different tracker's or a watch on the same account (ei a Charge 2 and a Versa). @twochargers Adding to @PureEvil response take note that you can vote for the idea of allowing two of the same trackers to be setup on the same account. Feel free to check the suggestion @Rich_Laue shared in his post.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Dear Frank,

'We may be able to suggest a viable workaround.'

I am wondering if a workaround was offered. I would like to set up two different Charge 2 into my account. One that is used for workouts and one for daily use.

Thank you,

Nina

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NMed,

That's fair, but I was referring not to the fact that you want two Charge 2's on the same account, but the reason why you want to have two Charge 2's on the same account.

For instance, some folks claim that they want one to use while you charge the other...  There are many different ways to keep your Charge 2 charged consistently without needing two trackers.

Others maintain that they want different colors to accessorize... And that's the reason why they make accessory bands that can be swapped out in seconds.

Specifically, what is preventing you from wearing the 'workout' Charge 2 for daily use?

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer

Hi! Thanks so much for answering! I am in a similar situation as RittervonRapp

"I think what Kwantie is saying is that you can't connect a Charge 2, and another Charge 2 to the same account without disconnecting one.  I am having the same issue... I just received my new Charge 2 after spotting a couple of cracks in the screen of my old one.  Thought I would use my old one for workouts and to my part time ranch job where it gets pretty dirty, and wear the new one to my regular desk-jockey job.'

I wondered if there was a work around offered to the public. I would LOVE IT!

Best Answer

@NMed,

The one suggestion I have is to get a screen protector for your newer Charge 2 and wear that one.  The one that I use is Skinomi and it's available at Amazon (something like 6 for $8).  I have it on my Charge 2 and people can't even tell that it's on, and it'll last for months.  I'll post a picture if you'd like.

It'll certainly protect against scratches, but probably not a hard enough impact where it'll crack the screen.  And honestly, if your Charge 2 is scratched, you may not even see the scratch after you put on the screen protector.

If you feel that you absolutely want to go the two tracker route, then keep in mind that there's a pretty rich used Fitbit market on ebay.  So you may either:

• Return your newer one: Keep the older one for the gym and get a different model for every day use.
  • Sell your older one: Keep your existing one for every day use, and get a different model for working out.

I think you'll find that there are models that fit certain situations better.  Sure, if you only had one tracker it'd be the Charge 2, but if you got a second tracker, why not look at some subtle differences, like:

• Many women mention that they like the slimmer form factor of the Alta/Alta HR.
  • Some folks like the smartwatch features of the Versa or Ionic.
  • Some folks spend a good portion of their day walking, but not moving their wrists (push cart, wheelchair, stroller).  In this case a Zip or Flex 2 (with pendant accessory) will track those steps when other wrist based trackers won't.
  • You are in some situations where your tracker may be exposed to water (like swimming), then there are trackers (Ionic, Versa, Flex 2) that are significantly more resistant to water (50 meters).
  • You run and like to track your route and don't want to carry your phone for listening to music.  The Ionic has both GPS and music storage that you may play through Bluetooth headphones.

It all really depends on your usage scenario.

Allow me to put it this way, if you could only have one car what would it be?  It may be an SUV, roadster, sedan, or whatever.  Say that your one car would be a Subaru Outback...

And let's say that you're now in the market for a 2nd car.  Do you think you'd pick a Subaru Outback in addition to your first OR a different vehicle that would complement that first vehicle?  I know I'd pick something different.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

@NMed Welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to have you here! I think @PureEvil hit the spot with his thoughtful reply. At this time you can't have two trackers of the same type on your account so you will either need to create another account (which would mean that you won't have your information in one place or setting each tracker daily so you can swap them during the intense activity hours and your desk/sleep/low intensity activity hours. Additionally please vote for the suggestion mentioned earlier. You could consider another device like the Versa or Alta HR (which has heart rate monitor but less features than the Charge 2) so you can have two devices on your account. Check the available options here.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

You come off very condescending there Rich. I am sure there are a plethora of other people such as myself who want this option, but don't have time to waste figuring out how to vote or comment on Fitbit forums all day long. Most people search for the answer to their question and either move on or contact the company with an email as opposed to posting in a forum. Thanks for taking the time to reply to Fitbit customers, but you may want to work on your delivery a bit 🙂

Have a  great day and hopefully someday Fitbit will follow suit with many other top fitness tracker/smartwatch companies and offer the opportunity to link multiple same model trackers to one account. 

Best Answer

if I bought and paid for it, I should be able to add it to my account. Completely ridiculous. Now I have to try to send back my new Charge 2 and see if I can get my money refunded. If I cant add it to my account, it is worthless to me.

Best Answer

@tracyjstew,

Welcome to the community!

While I understand your frustration, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning...

Fitbit is not disallowing you from using each one individually, they just didn't design it to use more than one of the same model on the same account.

The same thing applies to say... sunglasses.  You can buy as many as you want...  No one is preventing you from that.  However, they were designed to be worn one pair at a time.  You can't put on a second pair without taking off the first pair.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

Im at a loss, with the Charge 2 having replaceable bands making it easy to change the look in under 30 seconds, I'm not understanding the need to have more than one of the pebbles. 

I didn't understand that with the Charge or Charge HR this would have been a nice feature .

Best Answer

Thanks for the replies.

I have two pebbles because the screen on my first one cracked. The pebble was still working but the crack kept increasing and deepening.  I received a replacement pebble from Fitbit (Thank you very much for the great warranty and customer support!) I opted for the same pebble because the Charge 2 has all the features I was searching for except it is not waterproof nor has an internal GPS. Additionally, I already purchased a few bands for my Charge 2. The Versa is much too large for my wrist which is the other option I considered

I am now worried that my new pebble will also sustain a crack.  I have no idea what caused the screen to crack on the first one therefore am nervous with the replacement pebble. It would be so great if I could still use my old one during sporting activities and the new one for other activities. It would be great to have all the information in one account despite having two of the same trackers.

My days sometimes involves different types of activities  and I go from one activity to another which means sometimes travelling with public transport with carrying cllimbing, swimming and teaching clothing and gear. It should not be necessary to have different trackers for climbing, swimming, teaching etc. 

What is important is Fitbit to continue developing and evolving and the option of using two of the same trackers would be a wonderful addition to the app.

Best Answer

@NMed,

Whenever adding features they (in general, not just Fitbit) needs to evaluate what that feature is going to achieve or enable.  I'll often refer to this as the 'in order to' clause...

Fitbit added support for multiple trackers in order to allow Fitbit users the ability to use features of different trackers in different situations.  If you can't wear anything on your wrist when you're at work (like some factory workers), you may wear a Zip, One or Flex 2 (with the pendant).  If you want to use something with a HR monitor when you're at the gym, then you can switch to a Charge 2 (or any of a number of other models).  If you want something that will track swimming, etc...  They understand that there's no perfect fit for all situations, so they allow you to use different models for different scenarios.

Allowing two of the same model doesn't really enable a scenario that is, at least to me, that compelling.  Yes, I can see that since you already have a marred device, you'd want to use it in settings where you may again damage it.  Unfortunately, there are very few of you that are facing this problem.

Much of the Fitbit UI is centered around the model of the device:

• Sync status is listed based on your tracker model
  • Alarms are based on tracker model
  • Clock faces are based on tracker model

If you have two Charge 2's on your account and you synced one...  Is it the one on your wrist or the one on the charger?

Can Fitbit update their UI in order to distinguish two of the same trackers on one account?  Sure.

Can Fitbit allow you to assign a nickname to a tracker in order to manage different trackers?  Sure.

Let's gloss over the fact, that for a number of folks, even if you can tell them apart in the app, you may not necessarily be able to distinguish between the two physical trackers:

fitbit-sametracker-side-by-side.jpg

They'd only need to make these changes in... oh, about nine platforms:

• Website and dashboard settings
  • Windows: Desktop, laptop, tablet, phone
  • Android: Tablet, phone
  • iOS: Tablet, phone

The cost to develop, test, and deploy these changes across nine platforms is not negligible.  If it was a feature that affected the vast majority of users (like sleep stages), it'd be one thing...  but this affects a very small subset of Fitbit users.  I personally (before I get flame, it's just my opinion) am not convinced that it's worth the cost of development to enable this.

Not to mention that if you, absolutely, positively, wanted to use your older tracker in some settings...  It only takes about one minute to sync your current tracker and replace it with your older tracker.  It's not impossible, it's just more work.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

"Not to mention that if you, absolutely, positively, wanted to use your older tracker in some settings...  It only takes about one minute to sync your current tracker and replace it with your older tracker.  It's not impossible, it's just more work."

That's not quite true in all cases... when you delete one device, and install the other, all of your settings reset to the factory settings.  Yes, you are correct that it is more work, but if you have more than one or two custom settings, it can take several minutes to reset.  Not that it is a significant amount of time, but it is also quicker and simpler for me to just be able to change trackers, instead of having to swap out the band.

I am one of the FitBit consumers with a working, cracked-screen Charge 2, and may have been the one who started this thread several months ago.  After spending $150-ish on a 2nd Charge 2, I was disappointed to discover that I could not switch between the 2.  In my case, I have more than one job, one of which is on a ranch, and the other in a professional setting.  So, since it still works, I was thinking I could use the cracked unit at my ranch job, and save the new one for my hoitey-toitey office job, where a polished appearance matters.

In any case, the old Charge 2 is sitting in a closet somewhere waiting to step in as a backup when I inevitably will crack the new one because otherwise, it is pretty useless because I can't switch between the 2, and the ranch hand in me doesn't have the heart to send a working device into a landfill just because the screen is damaged.  (You wouldn't shoot a horse because he accidentally pulled out part of his mane, right?)

The accountant in me understands your point of the cost to develop the changes the inconsequential subset of FitBit customers, like me, have requested.  Labor is not cheap... especially tech labor.  (And FYI - I don't really find the sleep tracking feature you mentioned very helpful - partially because I know there are times it is not accurate at all).

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned at the ripe old age of 46, but I agree with someone's comment that the mods responses could use some improvement in the delivery.  Several months ago, I accepted the fact that FitBit is unwilling to help those of us who are in the disposable subset of your customer base.  And I understand the cost vs. benefit reasoning behind the decision not to help us.

However, on the few posts on this issue to which I have actually paid attention, I continually see arguments from FitBit saying that our logic does not make any sense to them, and they can't understand why we can't just live with one tracker, and how easy it is just to swap out bands, and how our reasoning is just out of whack.

Back in the olden days, when I was working my way through college at a burger joint, if a customer requested extra mustard and no ketchup on their burger, I would have been fired for telling the customer that their request just did not make any sense to me because it wasn't to my taste.  Now, if they wanted an extra slice of cheese, I might have to charge them an extra 20 cents, but I certainly wouldn't dictate to them that their choice didn't make sense to me, since I often skip the cheese to save calories.  Sorry, dude, I think you should skip the cheese because you're looking a little chubby.  How about go next door and order a salad - 'cause they're better over there and they'll be nice to you, too?

It is bad business to continually tell your customers that what they want is flawed.  (What they hear you telling them is that they are flawed). 

My boss might sign my paycheck, but there's no money for my paycheck without a happy customer who continues to come back with more business.  So, really, it is my customer - not my boss, not the accounting department - for whom I am working. 

As for the costs to update 9 platforms... maybe if they did, they sell more trackers... ever think of that?  Just because people aren't posting on your website, doesn't mean there isn't a demand there.  (Though I do understand FitBit have to make decisions based on tangible feedback).

In a nutshell, if you need tangible feedback to keep improving your product at stay ahead of your competition, maybe you need to listed to your coaches instead of telling them they are wrong.

Best Answer
That’s true about the sunglasses, but you are comparing two completely different things. I wear my fitbit 24/7 until it needs charging. Then I want to plug it in and put on my second fitbit. I don’t want to wait while it charges, I don’t want to be without it, I don’t want to schedule yet another thing. Take one fitbit off, put the second on. And I really like the Charge so that’s what I wanted to get again for my second. Its small, streamlined, does everything I want. I really don’t think it’s a lot to ask to be able to put all my fitbits on my account. Sunglasses don’t need to be charged. And if I want two pair of the same sunglasses, I should be able to get two pair of the same sunglasses. No, I would not wear them at the same time just like I wont wear my fitbits at the same time. But, why do I have to get a different fitbit in order to have it on my account?! Like I said; doesn’t make sense to me.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

@tracyjstew,

Okay, to put a few things in perspective allow me to make a few observations...

First, the Charge 2 battery will last for five days, that's 120 (24 * 5) hours.  From my estimation, I (generously) estimate that it takes 2 hours to go to a full charge.  That's 2 hours charging every five days you spend wearing it, right?  So I'm not doing any trick math here, but that's (2/120) or 1.7% of the time when you'd be charging your tracker.  Is it really going to fracture your life to spend 1.7% of your 24/7 Fitbit tracking time wearing a different tracker (like the Alta HR) while you charge your Charge 2?  I doubt it.  If you find that you truly can't endure using the Alta HR, then just wear it one night while to do your sleep tracking (and you charge your Charge 2).  The sleep tracking information will be the same, unless of course you expect to climb stairs while you sleep (Alta HR does not track flights of stairs)…  I don't.

Second, you can replace the new tracker you want to use through the settings on the Fitbit App.  I didn't think it took that long, but I timed it just to be fair.  Would you care to speculate how long that takes?

fitbit-replacetrackerduration.JPG

That's right...  Less than 1.5 minutes.  You'll spend more time brushing your teeth or swapping out your purse than you'll spend replacing one Fitbit with another...  And you only need to do this once every five days.

Third, while I know that you claim that you, "I wear my fitbit 24/7 until it needs charging."  I'm pretty sure that's not true unless you either...  Wear your Charge 2 while you bathe or shower (which effectively means that you've voided the warranty) or you go for five days at a time without bathing or showering.  I'll politely assume that you shower regularly and that you take off your Charge 2 while you shower.  Plugging in your Fitbit to charge while you're in the shower will maintain the charge on your tracker indefinitely.  Fifteen minutes or so of charging every day will give it enough of a charge to last another day.  No, it won't be at 100%, but it'll certainly be enough to continue to use day after day.  FYI, you can also plug it in to charge with a battery pack while you're driving, riding the bus, etc.

Finally, I'd like to think I'm obsessive about my steps as much as the next person...  I've made my 10k steps every day since 10/11/2015.  That's 1026 consecutive days and counting...  I've had multiple years where I've averaged over 18.8k steps everyday...  Got over 20k steps every day for six weeks during a work step challenge:

fitbit-20kdays.jpg

...and care to guess what I do when my Fitbit needs charging?  I plug it in and watch television.

Just my 2¢.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
I am really sorry that I have caused you to be upset about this to the point of mathematical calculations and such. I have gotten a different fitbit so that I can have it on my account. BUT, my preference is the Charge and I just don’t see why its such a huge dilemma to put 2 or 3 or even 10 of the same tracker on the same account. That’s all. No big deal, no reason to sit down with your special calculator and figure up percentages. BTW, I don’t sit around calculating which is exactly why I posed this question in the first place. And, yes, I take my Charge off to bathe and put it right back on again. And, I don’t think I am that different from a lot of people. And, I don’t want to wait until its very low and be off somewhere and my tracker quit. This is an easy question and it just didn’t require anybody to get this upset or spend this much time on it. But, I thank you for your help and politely suggest that this conversation has run its healthy course and we just move on to something else. Thank you for your help.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer