Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Charge 2 from asking if I want to use location services

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every time I go for a walk the app asks me if I want to use location services. I tap no thank you. The next time I look at the app while I'm walking to check my steps it asks again. Every time I go back to the app it asks me again. I don't even want to be asked. This didn't start happening until the last update. I find it incredibly annoying.  I've searched through the forums and I saw one or two things but they didn't give specific instructions and instructions they did seem to suggest a several steps that perhaps applied to an older version of the firmware. It's annoying enough that it makes me not want to use Fitbit.  It was working fine I didn't change anything and now it started doing this about a month ago. If it isn't broken don't fix it!

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

That should be more of a problem with the OS. 

Best Answer

Nope, only alerts when j get into Fitbit. And selecting the never in location services doesn’t stop it.

Never is selected and opening the Fitbit app still prompts the location notification.

Didn’t work. I still get notifications too.

It appears to be built into the heart rate function. When I am lifting weights it doesn’t pop up, but when I am doing cardio, it repeatedly asks for location. Bummer. Time to  scrap it. 

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

I have this same problem with a Charge 3 and ios 13.2.3.  Today I started receiving these messages to update my settings. I do not have any option to turn off gps within the phone app; however, I located the option via the web version dashboard. I turned off gos there and restarted the app. It did not work. If I cannot resolve this, I likely will stop using the device. This is especially true because  Google is buying Fitbit. No one needs that information, especially a company that has a documented history of collecting private information inappropriately. I have been a Fitbit client for several years, but this issue may result in that relationship’s dissolution .

Best Answer

@uk1924 without knowing what phone you have. I'm unable to give any insight. 

When it comes to GPS the Fitbit app will only turn on GPS when the user requests GPS. 

Using Mobile Run will turn on GPS and can not be changed. 

As for the Charge 2 and connected GPS. Go to the list of multisport activities find the activities that you want GPS disabled, tap the setting cog to the right. Here you will find the option to disable GPS. 

As for enabling location services, this does not turn on GPS, or use more battery, it is like a key in that it allows an app to access location functions. The app is in control of what it requests.. 

With android and a forced sync, android, for the users security, requires that location services need to be enabled. However Fitbit or the OS never directly requests the users location. This requirement was added when Android did overdid a problem that would allow. Unknown device to remotely take over a users phone without their permission

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happens whenever I look at the app. There is no turn off GPS on my settings. 

Best Answer

I hv the same problem w the latest iPhone 12 and Versa 2. Keeps asking for location access even when I select ‘only when using’ or ‘never’. Extremely irritating.

Best Answer

I don't know much about the iPhone @DavidLinda. but I do know, that even when the Fitbit User Interface has never been opened, their is still the fitbit services that are running. If you kill all of fitbit, these notices to enable location services should cease. However so will the ability to sync, and all other notifications will not be sent to the wrist. The weather app will also stop updating. 

Please remember that having permission to access location services, simply allows the app to have access when needed. Which is for GPS tracking during an exercise, the weather app and maybe a few other. At other times GPS is not activated by fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Rich for responding all these years.

I hv read all the messages on this thread.

I think we all know how the GPS, sync, etc works in Fitbit. It’s not new nor unique to Fitbit.

What everyone is complaining abt is that Fitbit keeps on requesting for location access. This doesn’t happen for other apps or trackers I’m using. 

Once I’ve set that location access to ‘Never’ or ‘Only when using’, that should be final; however Fitbit will ask again the moment you switch out of the app. 

And no it’s not a iOS or Android problem, because I clearly see that the guys on this forum are experiencing it too. 

It’s very irritating and could be a deal breaker. I hope Fitbit can do something.

Thanks for listening 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

With android a user needs to enable location services to scan for WiFi or Bluetooth LE devices.

This was added when Android closed a loophole that allowed a third unknown party to remotely, unknown to you, take control of your phone during such a search. 

I'm not sure what other apps or trackers you use @DavidLinda but I know that several other company scales, my Tile, smart lights, Garmin Watches, my Garmin dash cam, Smart Thermostat all require Location services to be enabled. This is not because of their apps requiring, but because of changes that where made in Android vet 6. What version is android at. 

Enabling location services will not turn on the gps, any more then unlocking a door will require the user to open the door. 

Yes you can set location services to never, but then the tracker will not be able to sync, this is because Android requires location services to be enabled, fitbit is simply reminding the user of this. 

Since other functions of the tracker, besides syncing, will be disabled by turning location services off. It may not be a good idea. 

Don't worry about Google or your cellular service, they track you even with location services disabled. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit is forcing these notification in the app regardless of the tracker or whether it's Android or iOS (I'm on iOS). I have a Fitbit Inspire 2 which doesn't even have an integrated GPS so don't really need location services to be turned on always and should have the choice to set my location services to whatever suits me (and yes, I'm ok with only syncing manually by going into the app and not have this happen in the background which is why Fitbit want location services to be set to always).

For years, location settings hadn't been an issue but since recently unless you have your settings set to "always" you will get a notification every single time you go into the app. I have tested this with having my location settings as "only while using" and "never". Personally it has ruined my experience as a customer and I will not be using Fitbit anymore. I have contacted them using chat, call and twitter and basically it's their way or the highway approach. They just kept saying that I have to change my location service to "always" or I will keep getting notifications. I think their strategy is bullying and I hope other Fitbit users are more patient than I am.

This is quite disappointing having used and praised Fitbit trackers for years. I guess listening to customers and loyalty are overrated.

Best Answer

As mentioned above @SunsetRunner this was not a decision made by fitbit, but a change made in Android Version 6, for your devour I, which now requires location set iced for your tracker to sync. No your app, or android, does not look for your location 

I found, because if these changes, location services need to be enabled for me to setup my smart lights. 

It is simply there to remind you that in order to sync, location services need to be enabled. No one is bullying 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My device syncs just fine with my location services set to Never or Only While In Use. It’s just the unnecessary daily notifications and reminders that are a pain and have ruined it for so many. If you read more forums you’d see how many people share this sentiment regardless of why they are prompted. Maybe they could fix it in Android version 7 or 6.whatever but don’t think I’ll risk the wait. This has been going on for far too long and people who don’t have Fitbit’s preferred location service setting should not  be hassled for it. There’s a reason those other options exist and we should have the freedom to choose whatever setting suits us. It’s also naive to believe that a tech company like Fitbit has no control over those notifications. They are annoying the hell out of their customers to force them to change the setting because changing it to always is the only way they’ll go away (even though we can all sync our devices just fine with the other location settings). It most certainly is bullying!

Best Answer

Having location set for while the app is in use, will sync fine while the app is in the foreground, since the app is in use. 

Of course connected GPS will not work. 

People do not understand that given an app permission to access the location services, does not mean that they turn on GPS. It simply means that the app can turn on GPS when the app needs GPS. 

Think of it as a door lock. Giving the a neighbor the key to unlock the door, does not mean that the neighbor will be walking into the house at every free minute. 

BTW, the app doesn't turn on GPS durring a sync. 

There are at least 3 ways an android phone may acquire your location. Gps by itself is not the best way. 

The 3 ways? WiFi routers, Cell towers, GPS, some phones, like the Charge 4, can use GLONASS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Rich, you’re missing the point in all your replies.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

What point am I missing @DavidLinda 

People are upset that Fitbit is asking for location services to not be required. 

Fitbit doesn't insist on having location services enabled, it is your Android Operating System that requires it. 

Are you immune if you run iOS? Nope, Apple made this change, for a completely different reason in iOS 13. 

With iOS 12, you could leave location services off. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The location service is set for individual apps.There are three options for location service.

Never -- Means that the app will not have access to my location EVER.

While using app -- Means that the app will have access to my location only when I have that app open on my phone.As soon as I close that app then that app will not have access to my location.

Always -- Means that app will have access to my location always,as long as my phone is on. Doesn't matter if that app is open or closed n my phone.

Fitbit insists that I set the setting for its app to Always.

So in this mode if I go to McDonalds Fit bit will know, if I go to Walmart Fitbit will know, if I go to Target Fit it will know(even though Fitbit app is not open on my phone)

Why does Fit need to know my location all the time. One SIMPLE REASON. They want to collect this information and sell this information.

They are not just content by making money by selling me their product but they also want to make money by selling my information to Companies who consolidate this information and sell it to marketing companies.

Before their last update they would allow the user to set the setting to "While using the App" but some Genius in Fitbit came up with the idea of making money off of their user's data.

So that is what I am against. If they want to collect my information and sell it then be upfront about it. Don't use sly techniques to do it.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue 

1- Are you suggesting that the daily reminders and notifications are being generated automatically by Android and that Fitbit has absolutely no control over them?

1a- If this is the case, then why am I not getting the same notifications in all the other dozens of apps I have on my iphone where the location service settings are set to "never' or "only while using"?

2- Do you genuinely believe customers want to be reminded every single time they access the app to change settings they don't want to change? I'm not really sure what you are standing for here. If you go into the app 4 times a day you will get the notification every single time. Is this really necessary?

3- Have you asked Fitbit why they don't stop the daily reminders and notifications? We all understand how the GPS function works, do you understand what notifications are? Is Fitbit legally required to remind its customers about location services settings every single time they access the app?

I'm not sure how far back this problem goes but in my eyes, it started with Google taking over Fitbit. I have a premium subscription to the app and these notifications are like having ads displayed if it helps portray the problem in a non OS way. It's a very simple problem and we don't need a lecture on OS versions but do appreciate you are trying to help. If the notification popped up once every couple of weeks it would be a friendly reminder but when you get it every time you access the app, it stops being a friendly reminder and it becomes a nuisance. Fitbit doesn't seem to care about annoying its customers. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner this thread is not about daily reminders, I never mentioned anything about notificstions. 

To rephraise. And simplify. 

Fit does a BTLowEnergy scan/search for the tracker 

Android now requires location services to be enabled before android will let the fitbit app do this search. 

As for notifications, some originate on the watch itself. Such as step goals and active minute goals. 

Others are sent by the fitbit app to the phones notification center. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue the topic of this thread is " Stop Charge 2 from asking if I want to use location services". How do you think it's asking for that? Does a Fitbit customer rep appear at the person's door to ask nicely? Or are they sending daily notifications and reminders through the watch and through the app? Anyways, I've wasted enough time here. I'm done with Fitbit and a "community legend" who clearly does not want to understand or acknowledge what people are actually complaining about. In all honesty, I've never dealt with such useless customer service.

Best Answer

All I'm saying is that the Charge 2 is not asking. It is the Fitbit app on the phone that is asking. 

For android devices, having location services access for Low Energy Bluetooth Devices is a requirement of Android 6.0 and higher. Fitbit is simply reminding the user of this, since there is no away around this Android Requirement. 

And "jogger" these are just a fun way to describe the number of posts a person has made. 

Best Answer