Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off heart rate monitor at night

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As per medical research:

https://sleep.med.harvard.edu/news/356/Green+Light+Affects+Circadian+Rhythm

Green light affects circadian rhythm.

Please add an option to disable the Green HR monitor during sleeping hours.

Also please add option to disable the Bluetooth on the device during these hours. I don't want to be wearing an RF transmitter while I sleep.

Currently I choose not to wear my Fitbit during the night because of this, but I would still like to wear it when these options have been added.

Thanks!

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@stampycode Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Thank you for sharing your suggestions. Based on the text you shared "Boston, MA – It has been previously shown that blue light plays an important role in impacting the body’s natural internal body clock and the release of hormones such as melatonin, which is connected to sleepiness, by affecting photoreceptors in specialized cells in the eye." I am no doctor but reading the text I understand that green light could affect your circadian rhythm if it is being detected by your eyes. The sensor is on the wrist, next to your skin and when sleeping not near the eyes (that's because I tend to sleep facing up on my back but this is different from person to person). Still you can switch off the Heart Rate sensor anytime on the tracker's settings area.

Regarding the bluetooth the bluetooth radio is really small so it shouldn't affect you (your phone's bluetooth is way bigger and potent and still it is safe to be used next to your head) but still you can vote for this idea in our Feature suggestions board. The more votes an idea gets the more likely the developers will try to implement it.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Whether or not the green light harms my circadian rhythms, it interferes with my ability to sleep. I sleep on my side, frequently with my hands in front of me, and the green light is actually quite noticeable between my wrist and the Fitbit. My husband has even mentioned that he finds it annoying. Last night I had so much trouble getting to sleep that I had to take it off. Turning it off each night would be a pain, especially given how laggy the syncing can be. There really ought to be a setting to turn off the heart monitoring at night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, the green light is very annoying.

I understand you can just turn it off, but it is such a pain to have to do it manually every night. There should be a simple ability to just have the app turn it off automatically at pre-specified time.

I don't get to take advantage of the HR because of this. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes