Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to recycle a broken Charge HR?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Charge HR strap is broken (2nd one), so now have a Charge 2.  The actual Fitbit works, but can't pass it on without a strap.  I want to recycle it responsibly because of the battery vs. throwing it in the trash.  Does any place take these?  I noticed a reuse site on another thread, but I would assume this is for working watches.  Any help?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Actually without the strap still works fine for steps if keep in pocket  - just no heart rate.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
76 REPLIES 76

@Finlaymama, when I had one to dispose of, I checked with 3 different places that recycle cell phones & computers, and all three of them told me, "with something that small, just throw it in the trash." Apparently there is not enough in the tracker to make it worth their time to try to recycle it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Send it to me...I could use it for my daughter...I'll make it work for her somehow..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually without the strap still works fine for steps if keep in pocket  - just no heart rate.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finlaymama...Let me know if you would like to send it..I'll give you my address & pay the shipping.

Finlaymama...I sent you a P.M.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Larry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone @Finlaymama @JohnnyRow @USAF-Larry @kycliff

Thanks for sharing your inquiry, I agree with @USAF-Larry the first step would be asking at an electronic shop if they can recycle, if not maybe they can redirect you to another place. 

Keep me posted! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate everyone's replies; it's now in the hands of another participant to be reused, at least as a pedometer since it still works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Finlaymama

Thanks for the update! Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tipsrecipes and more! Give it a look!

See you around! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to offer another possibility: RecycleHealth is a 501(c)(3) accepting Fitbits in all conditions as long as they turn on. We clean and refurbish them for underserved populations including low income older adults and veterans. Our address is RecycleHealth, 136 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111 and there is more information at RecycleHealth.com

Best Answer

RecycleHealth is a non-profit through Tufts School of Medicine where you can donate your old or unusable trackers! They put them to good use by using them in public health research or giving them to underserved populations. 

Best Answer

Where?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone looking to recycle Fitbit trackers with or without straps, drop me a message, I'd be happy to send you a prepaid shipping label. I love fixing up old Fitbits and these parts will allow me to continue doing so and save the ever-growing landfills from the unnecessary accumulation of lithium-ion batteries that shouldn't be improperly disposed of. Your other option, if looking for some money for them is listing on eBay's "for parts or repair" categories, though most people doing this are selling large "lots" of several of them. I purchased ~200 Charge HR last week. Alternately, I'm happy to share tips on repairing these for anyone interested, it's fun and rewarding to bring something back to usable life as if you don't need it, surely a friend or family member would appreciate. Cheers!

20201103_172544.jpg

Best Answer

Hello,

Can I send an old charge 2?

In case my email doesn't appear my name is Sarah Johnstone. 🙂

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Versa that isn’t syncing anymore but will still charge and track steps. Is that of interest?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a charge 3 that works but screen is going out on left side. Would you want it? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a versa if you are interested. It didn’t charge anymore.

Yara R

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Sarah,

I'm just seeing your message now. Please tag me in the future (hit the @ sign it will start filling in my name) and Fitbit will send me a message to let me know you sent a reply. If you're still interested in recycling your Charge 2 please let me know and I'll message you a prepaid mailing label, no problem. Keep these things out of the landfills!

@amyka21 Hi. Yes, I can recycle your Versa. If you still have it available, let me know and I can send you a prepaid shipping label you can print and put onto the mailer, super-easy and keeps these out of landfills. Sorry I'd not seen your message immediately, if you click @ in your message, you can tag my name and Fitbit will show me messages sooner, otherwise, I'll only see them when surfing around the forum. Have a great stepping week!

@lmseagulls yes, I can send you a prepaid mailing label for the Charge 3 that you can just print out and tape to a mailer. Let me know if you still have it. Sorry I didn't see your message for a few days if you hit @ it will start filling in my name and you can tag me, this way Fitbit will email me and I'll see it sooner. Curious, what tracker did you end up switching to or did Fitbit send you a replacement for the Charge 3? If you're currently without a tracker, a really neat tool is Fitbit's mobile sync you can set up from www.fitbit.com/devices and it lets you track steps for Fitbit with only using your phone. My friend Arthur has been using this without a tracker for almost 2 years. I keep trying to get him using a real Fitbit tracker but he doesn't see the need. Cheers, Darren 

Darren

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@yrcroj yes, I can recycle Versa too. I'll send you a direct message for your address and will generate a prepaid mailing label you can just affix to any mailer, like a used Amazon bubble pack, and keep these out of the landfills.

I'm always curious about what's keeping people on their toes so have to ask, did you get yourself a new Versa to replace the broken one or did you switch to a different Fitbit tracker?

Best Answer
0 Votes