Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which exercise category can be used to track Stair master

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When using a stair master- which option in the exercise category is the best to choose to get the most accurate results?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

It is hard to say, @EAPesco, but I would guess WORKOUT would be the best option since your arms aren't moving during that time and it can't count steps. The Workout mode will monitor the activity, heart rate, and calories burned.

Best Answer

@EAPesco It's great to have you here! You could add the Stair Climber workout on your tracker by going to it's settings under Workout Shortcuts and try this option (remember to sync after making the changes so it reflects on the tracker). I think is the most closer workout to your Stair Climber activity.

Charge 2 exercise shortcuts updated.PNG

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Thank you!!! I job the stairs manually at the YMCA every day, but really would like to use the stair master and didn't know how until now. I've changed my settings, done a sync and will test this out tomorrow. With any luck, it will work for me ... because the stairs I use are also the stairs to a doctor office, so I end up marching in place a lot to keep my heart rate up between flights. 😄 Never have I been so excited to do stairs until now!

Best Answer

@KimBanks Thanks for joining us!  Glad I could help. I just want to clarify that your tracker will count floors for every 10 ft it detects you have climbed using it's altimeter so it won't count floors on your stair-climber. The mode I mentioned on my previous post helps record the activity and provide a better calorie calculation because you are telling the tracker what exactly you are doing during that period.

Keep me posted!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Will this setting count steps while on the stair master?

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @Vabrav18! Yes, it will unless you hold onto the side rails. Robot Very Happy

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

which fitbit do you have? I have the HR Charge 2 and im having this same issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Charge 2 aparrently it doesn't track steps unless you don't hold the sides. And the speed I do I would fall on my arse if I don't hold on haha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

@Vabrav18 then why not slow down, holding on will reduce the calories burnt by up to 40% compared to not holding on. 

Holding on has also been proven to cause the body to unlearn how to balance, making it more dangerous when on a free run outside. 

Best Answer

Can this be done with the Fitbit Blaze? I can't seem to figure out the exercise "shortcuts", I don't see that anywhere. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hwing let's go to Fitbits interactive and searchable help docs, link to help found bestow. 

How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Track your workouts in real time with the Exercise app to capture in-depth activity stats.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@hwing let's go to Fitbits interactive and searchable help docs, link to help found below. Your tracker has the option to add the mode called Stair master. 

How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device?

Track your workouts in real time with the Exercise app to capture in-depth activity stats.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope it's not accurate by alot of calories stairmaster saidbid burned 304 fit bit said 86 that's a big difference 

Best Answer

Yes that is a big difference, but it doesn't say which if any is correct. Did you setup gender, age, weight, etc correctly? 

Just a note, most exercise equipment has been proven to add "feel good" calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Surge and Stairclimber is not one of the options.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for this information. I didn't know this. I will now modify my stair climbing accordingly.

Best Answer

Yes we know @snoopdon that is why it has been suggested to use the mode called workout. Then after a sync, the user may want to tap edit and classify as "Stair Climber"

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to buy  fitness wear model  Fitbit Pro3. I do not find a specific confirmation in specs that it can track stair climbing and display the number of steps and the elevation climbed. And calculate the calories, spent correctly. Can someone confirm please

Best Answer
0 Votes