Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Charge HR want "Location"?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm wondering why the fitbit wants the location turned on to update? My location has nothing to do with my heart beat, steps, calories burned or water intake, my fitbit isn't lost it's on my wrist. Any thoughts other than mass data collection of where fitbit devices are located around the world?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

As one of the moderators explains in the linked thread below, it's to do with a change Google made with the introduction of Android 6.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Syncing-on-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-official-release/m-p/...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

As one of the moderators explains in the linked thread below, it's to do with a change Google made with the introduction of Android 6.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Syncing-on-Android-6-0-Marshmallow-official-release/m-p/...

Best Answer

So what is "fitbit" doing about it?    Throwing up their hands saying "Its a google change"?     Has anyone contacted Google surrounding a workaround?  

I fully agree with others; i keep location off for a number of reasons (privacy, battery etc) and turn it on only when needed; i don't like needing it on just to record steps.   

Google made a change that impacts fitbit.    Fitbit synce is the ONLY app that i am having this issue with; therefore i turn to fitbit.     Fitbit needs to realize its their customers who are unhappy and OWN THE ISSUE.   

Best Answer

This is the only app that requires this service to be enabled all the time. This is not a Google issue this is a fitbit issue that they must address. There is zero reason whatsoever that anybody needs access to my location all the time unless I choose to open and run an app. I am extremely disappointed with this rational and passing the buck to Google!

Best Answer
I totally agree that is why I have not enable it
I have called an complained also and will seriously consider a different
brand when this one stops working!
Best Answer

Yes, exactly. This notification pops up EVERY time I open the app: Do I want to turn on location sharing?

NO. 

I’ve pressed “No thanks “ 500,000,000 times and it is slowly driving me insane. 

Best Answer
0 Votes