Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my location need to be on to sync.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is my second charge hr. I updated less than 3 months ago and I want to know why  does my location need to be on to sync?. I have never had to have it on before to sync until bout 2 weeks ago. I am very unhappy bout this. If it does have to be on all the time to sync than I have wasted money on something that I can't use. 

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118
Or just don't use a Fitbit... it's a simple solution to a big brother problem. I ditched mine a while ago.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! I hope you are doin' fine! 

As you may know, if you’re setting up or syncing your tracker with an Android mobile device, you may be prompted to turn on location services. Each device is different, but on many you can find the setting at Settings > Location.

The Fitbit app needs the locations services option on your phone to be turned on in order to perform the Bluetooth low energy scans required to sync your tracker. For more information about how your tracker syncs, see How do Fitbit trackers sync their data?

You might be also asking yourself why do you have to turn on locations if it consumes more battery; well, if you use power savings features, location services may be turned off automatically when your battery power is running low. You should be able to set up and sync normally after you charge your mobile device.

Google added the locations permission requirement to alleviate concerns that Bluetooth beacons can be used to track your location without your permission during a Bluetooth low energy scan, such as the scan required to sync your tracker. By granting the Fitbit app permission to access your location, your tracker will be able to sync, but your location won't be recorded or tracked by Fitbit.

For more information about Bluetooth technology, please visit the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) at https://www.bluetooth.com

Keep us posted if you have further questions! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Why would Fitbit need to scan nearby Bluetooth devices beyond the pairing process? This is stupid. It's not Google's fault, It's Fitbit's fault you cannot find a better method to sync.

I mean you're not a random company making smartwatches, you're supposed to be the best.

Keeping location on kills the device battery, it makes the use of BLE redundant.

I regret that I bought the Versa watch just because of this, I will try to find another smartwatch if this is not fixed soon.

Pebble did not have this problem, didn't Fitbit buy all Pebble's tech?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Originally the connect app would sync any tracker that it could find, and Fitbit used the trackers MAC to identify which account to put the data into.

BTW I assume Garmin could also do it different but sadly they also need location services turned on.

Nobody says that location needs to be read it on.

Best Answer

I don't care about Garmin.

I don't care about Fitbit using my location or not.

What I care about is that if I turn location services on, the device battery drains very fast.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is because there are apps running in the background that have access to your location. I would start checking permissions.

Best Answer
True, I have Google services running in the background, that's why I need
to keep location off.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I agree. I posted the same question.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can always go into the apps permissions and revoke Google's access to location. Note that this access door not look at GPS.

Best Answer
You cannot disable location access for Google Play Services.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Who is referring to the play store, your Android phones G-Map tracks you phones location 24 hours a day but it uses cell towers and Wifi for location, not GPS.

Best Answer

Who is referring to the play store, your Android phones G-Map tracks you phones location 24 hope a day but it uses cell towers and Wifi for location, not GPS.and this can be turned off.

But their are many other apps such as Games and websites that want your location.

Best Answer
I just want to keep location services off, I hope Fitbit will fix this
thing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

As mentioned above Android will need to make the changes needed, Sorry @adex08.

However this change was made when Android closed a major Bluetooth vulnerability not allowed and unknown third party to take over control of your phone through Bluetooth.

Best Answer

Android requires location permission when scanning bluetooth devices.

There is no need to scan for bluetooth devices beyond pairing, once the Fitbit device is paired there is no need to scan, you can just use the paired device.

Synchronization should be possible without scanning and it will not require location permission.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit uses the Trackers BT MAC address to identify the Fitbit tracker.

This made it easy for Fitbit to sync yours or any Fitbit tracker that comment can find.

Unless your one of the Fitbit developers I'm not sure why your so positive that this scanning is not needed. Especially when a quick search will bring up more than a few devices that require Location Services need to be on!. Such as Garmin, one smart switch, a a couple of scales

Best Answer
Once a device is paired you don't need to scan, you can connect to it via
paired devices.
I'm an android developer, that's how I know this.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! I hope you are doin' great! 

The Fitbit app needs the locations services option on your phone to be turned on in order to perform the Bluetooth low energy scans required to sync your tracker. For more information about how your tracker syncs, see How do Fitbit trackers sync their data?

Google added the locations permission requirement to alleviate concerns that Bluetooth beacons can be used to track your location without your permission during a Bluetooth low energy scan, such as the scan required to sync your tracker. By granting the Fitbit app permission to access your location, your tracker will be able to sync, but your location won't be recorded or tracked by Fitbit.

For more information about Bluetooth technology, please visit the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) at https://www.bluetooth.com

For details about the latest Google permission requirements, see Google's  Android 6.0 Changes document. 

Let me know if you have further questions! 

Best Answer

Seems my Versa syncs even if location services are turned off, I just ignore that "turn location on to sync" error message.

And this proves my point, you do not need to scan devices in order to sync, so you do not need location services.

Now I wonder, is this a bug in Fitbit app code, or Fitbit likes to scan Bluetooth devices all the time for statistics, analytics or whatever.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @adex08, welcome to the Fitbit Community! What type of phone are you using to sync your Versa? I'm asking because as I've mentioning, on Android devices, you'll always see this message, which is a requirement to sync. 

I'll be around! 

Best Answer