Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Charge 2 not come with a USB dongle?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

why in the hell does this not come with a dongle ? how frustrating to buy this product and begin to set it up ...only to find ..oh wait .....there is no dongle.?   wtf are you thinking .....so now how do i set it up ...this is my first purchase ..and with stupid thinking on fitbits part they don't ship all the hardware to set the watch up...?... this is so stupid ...i almost threw this piece of crap in garbage .....i would have if it didnt cost me 200 bucks ....Not happy .......

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
211 REPLIES 211

I can't complete the setup...

Windows 7 (I don't like Windows 10!), I do not have a dongle, and even when I have the fitbit connected to the computer using the USB cable it is not completing the setup. Truly absurd that I now have to go through the steps of calling to ask for a dongle. It would be sooooo convenient if I could complete setup with the device connected via USB.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit does not ship what you need (dongle/) nor do they tell you you have to ask for it. You are right that Microsoft 10 is a garbage upgrade but Fitbit harasses you to upgrade rather than ship dongle. I used an old dongle I had to activate rather than upgrade (bs) to 10 from 7. I wrote to Fitbit customer service and waited patiently as a bot patted me on the head. Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree with you! Then, after about a year and numerous bands that
kept breaking, we had to give up using the Fitbit. Just a poor product, in
my opinion.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since Win7 is barely supported anymore by Microsoft, those that run Win 7 are diminishing every day 

@Schimpf you could spend $8 / 10 and get a band from Amazon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, we did that twice and Fitbit replaced once. Still broke after being
worn several months.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes

My wife doesn't like W10 either but W7 is no longer supported for security by Microsoft so she just upgraded and set it to 'look and act like Windows 7' mode

Best Answer
0 Votes

I presume Fitbit's logic would be "If we ship with dongle and charge (even a little bit) more, then people will complain 'I never use it with my PC, just my phone, why I should I pay more because other people aren't up to date?" - the same logic as why 3D TVs are no longer made... the price increase was only about £5-£10 but for the vast majority who didn't use it, it was "Why am I paying for something I don't use?", *assuming* the 3D additional cost was signifcant.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Voltaire53,

I don't believe your characterization is necessarily the case.  There are many accounts of folks simply contacting support asking (politely) for a dongle and Fitbit will ship them one free of charge.

I'm sure Fitbit has the numbers on which accounts sync through which method (mobile app or dongle) and I imagine that there are very few people that sync through the dongle (and Fitbit Connect).

When Fitbit shipped their older trackers with the dongle, there was some confusion as to which pieces did what?  Once all smartphone platforms allowed for mobile syncing there (and the vast majority of folks synced that way), including the dongle in the packing was actually a disservice:

• Created confusion and frustration; new users didn't know which charged and which synced...  they didn't want to take up two USB slots...  more clutter to track... etc.
  • As you mentioned, cost users more money (price of dongle, package design, etc. )

Trust me, I have answered a number of these threads myself.  While I understand that there are a number of folks who are still adversely affected by this, I think this is a net positive.

And incidentally, to put it in perspective about people being up to date, Windows 7 is as old as the iPhone 3GS (2007).  Do you know of anyone who still uses an iPhone 3GS?  I don't.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I didn't have a clue that when I bought the versa 2 that it was not complete - no dongle.  My workstation does not have bluetooth.  You pay that much and get nothing.  What a waste.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@WCFWCF simply go out and buy a $10 generic 4.0 Bluetooth dongle. 

Best Answer

@WCFWCF,

As @Rich_Laue suggested, just buy a conventional bluetooth dongle...

Or if you contact support and chat with them nicely and calmly and explain your situation, they'll likely send you one free of charge.

You probably spent as much time searching for this thread and writing a post as you would've spend chatting with support and have them send you one.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer