Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running with an incompatible phone and tracking using GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Fitbit and I am trying to get the most out of running.

My phone is incompatible for tracking by connecting to the Charge II. I'm trying to find out if I run with my Fitbit on and then track seperately through the Fitbit app on my phone in my pocket, how would the data be combined. When they sync to my desktop app will they be combined as though they had been used together on the run? or will one effectivley erase the data of the other?

I am considering using MapMyRun to track and keeping both seperate until I can get a better phone, but was wondering if anybody else was doing anything similiar

Don't know if it is useful to know but my phone is a Samsung S3 Mini.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hello my friend @thesunintyellow! I not sure if I'm follow, but... are you only using your phone to track steps or your tracker and you sync later on a computer? 

I mean, you track all your activities with your Fitbit and sync later on a computer when you have the chance? 

As you may know, your tracker is paired to the Fitbit app on a mobile device, it syncs every time you open the app. It can also sync periodically throughout the day if you have All-Day sync turned on. If you sync your tracker with a computer and Fitbit Connect, it syncs automatically every 15 to 30 minutes assuming the tracker and computer are in proximity, and the dongle is plugged in, if applicable.

A daily sync is recommended but not required. Most Fitbit trackers record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days, so if you're able to sync weekly you'll find all your data on your Fitbit dashboard. (Fitbit Alta records minute-by-minute data for only five days). After seven days, Fitbit trackers can store daily totals for up to 30 days.

Catch you later! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey,

Thanks for your response. I think I could be a little clearer.

My phone isn't compatible with my Charge 2 and so the Fitbit mobile app and the tracker don't connect.

I noticed, however, that the mobile app will track using GPS without connecting to the tracker. So I wondered if I run with a Fitbit Charge 2 on my wrist and my phone in my pocket ( which is using GPS through the Fitbit app, but is not linked to the Fitbit on my wrist) will both sets of data combine when they sync with the desktop app?

Thanks again

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes

...the main issue I have is that my phone will not pair with the Fitbit tracker because it is an older Android model, so I am trying to figure out a different way of combining the GPS and the steps etc.

Thanks again 🙂

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @thesunintyellow!  I don't think you should be able to track GPS on the Fitbit App with that phone since as you know, it isn't compatible.

This brought my attention, therefore, would you mind to send me screen shots showing what you're seeing when tracking GPS with the Fitbit App? 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there ! Is it possible for someone to use the fitbit app to track the steps they are using with just the phone? My friend tried downloading the app and it wasn't giving him the option to do so when he clicked add device. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes