Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scratched charge hr 2 - fix to remove scratches

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Well, you won't believe it, I scratched my Charge HR 2. I tried lots of cleaning methods and nothing worked. Then, someone told me they used to polish plastic headlights with autosol metal polish. Metal polish?

Well, I gave it a go and the Charge 2 looked worse. All the deep and fine scratches were still there. I could feel when I rubbed. Oh, bugger I must have made it worse.

I had nothing to lose so I applied more autosol and rubbed for about 1 min using one of those clothes you get with screen protectors.

Well, it started to feel smoother the more I rubbed. I buffed the screen and most of the scratches have gone. I have another go and I would say 99% of the scratches have gone now. I should have taken a photo before, but I didn't expect it to actually work to be honest.IMG_0680.jpg

I am so impressed! My charge HR 2 is looking like again! woooo!

Link below:

Autosol Metal Polish

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I found some more plastic/acrylic scratch removers!

Hope this helps!

Post back any feedback or photos so everyone can have hope that a scratch will be easy to fix!

Halfords - Fenwick plastic/acrylic scratch remover

Autosol - soft and hard plastic remover

Watch Face restorer

Polywatch

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Splendiferious Heart

picgifs-thank-you-36115

Best Answer

@honglong1976  Best advice for now -- get a screen protector.  I got Ace Armor Shield -- mostly because it was the only Prime option on Amazon at the time.  Now there are many choices.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Screen protectors work great if the screen is flat, but are a total pain if the screen is curved.

They always fall off eventually or collect dust, especially when used for sleeping.

If I get any more scratches I will just use autosol again and polish it out. 🙂 haha The scratches on mine were actually quite deep as well and I am just surprised they all vanished, with just some very fine ones remaining. Maybe something like toothpaste (containing a finer abrasive) would remove those. I will give it a go later.

Best Answer

Update:

These are also good for removing scratches.

Polywatch - This is actually designed for acrylic plastic so may be even better than autosol (although I haven't tested myself)

How about try and feedback to this thread if it worked for you, along with photos?

Best Answer

I found some more plastic/acrylic scratch removers!

Hope this helps!

Post back any feedback or photos so everyone can have hope that a scratch will be easy to fix!

Halfords - Fenwick plastic/acrylic scratch remover

Autosol - soft and hard plastic remover

Watch Face restorer

Polywatch

Best Answer

Here is a review, before and after using Polywatch on a Charge 2, looks like it works great!

Polywatch - charge hr 2

Best Answer

How deep were the scratches? Do you have a before photo? Mine got really badly scratched when I fell, so it’s not just superficial scratches.

Best Answer

This actually works guys! I used Plastix Lense Cleaner purchased at automotive parts shop. Granted it didn't remove all the scratches but made a significant difference to where now I can place a protective cover on my Charge 2. Thanks for the tip!!!

Best Answer

Thanks for sharing. 

I have some autosol in the cupboard somewhere, and I'll give it a go. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a polishing compound that you can buy a car parts stores or online called Scratch Out....works real well for polishing car headlights and paint surfaces.

I use a plastic protector by Skinomi that works pretty well...except that the edges eventually tend to lift and it gets ugly...not too difficult to remove and apply another one though.

With no protector the the Charge is going to get scratched for sure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know it does, I started the thread! No screen protector, just use it, scratch and then buff out again.

Fitbit should advise this. It's only plastic!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Except for one thing:  Not sure how thick the plastic is...but each time you polish it...it gets thinner.  If it cracks...you won't be able to polish that out.

Strangely enough...the plastic overlay I use does not scratch at all...just the edges loosen up over time.  I've used 4 of them over 18 months.

If Fitbit found a way to use this overlay AND keep the edges from lifting...problem solved?

Best Answer

Im not sure all this scratching polishing is the way forward. I have an ionic and a charge 2 hr. I scratched my hr2, getting out of the car and dropping it onto the concrete, i learnt my lesson and bought some screensavers. Someone here recommended screenknight as theyre super tough and once applied scratches cant be seen at all, i tried them and they really do work, so now i apply to my ionic as well rather than wait for a scratch.

I do think prevention is better than cure and these screens are good at preventing and making already scratched screens look new.

I scratched my hr2 around 8 months ago and the protector is still good, you get 6 in the pack, ive used 2, one on mine and my wifes watches, .....better than all that scratching and polishing

Best Answer

I used toothpaste and it worked like a charm! So that’s also an option!

Best Answer
Thanks for the replies.

Turns out I have actually cracked my screen, so I'll live with how it is until I can justify replacing it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Non gel toothpaste and a q-tip literally fixed mine ten minutes ago!!

Best Answer

That made mine worst!!!

Best Answer

Hi, my Fitbit charge 2 has many micro scratches that are only visible on close inspection.

I tried the toothpaste technique and didn't seem to see any difference. Am I doing something wrong? Would you mind sharing the technique/method please?

Best Answer
0 Votes