Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read in daylight and font is way too small

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I got this new Inspire HR as a mother's day gift to upgrade me from the one I've had for several years now.  Love how lightweight and sleek it is and has great additional and new features. but, and this is huge....when I'm walking outside, I can't read the face at all or anything else and plus the font size for the bf, steps, etc is so small..... I'm just shocked that they can market this thing as fit ready.....there is no way to change the font size and from what I have read no fix to read in daylight ...like on a hike....Am I nuts or does this one fall way short of functional....?? What's the next step up that has a font size that is readable and can be seen outdoors?  I don't want (or need) texts, phone, etc.  Just simple stuff...

Moderator edit: Format and Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I thought more of Fitbit as a company, because otherwise I mostly like their products.

I think they are quite capable to make some updates and adjustments to fix some of these issues with the INSPIRE trackers. Luckily some of these issues could be resolved through supporting software updates.... such as new Clock faces with larger numbers to choose from, some programming that keeps trackers asleep during the night unless you choose to "wake" it up by pushing the button.....

Fitbit, please be the company that you are, that has the capabilities and resource to fix some of these issues. You have the power!

Moderator Edit: Formatting

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Hi @InspireMe2 welcome to the Forums. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Fitbit Inspire HR.

Sorry you feel that way with this model. At this moment we don't have a way to change screen font. I was making some research and was able to find some feature requests that you might be interested in:

Please cast a vote for these ideas and leave a comment to show support for them. The more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

For anything else you would like to see implemented in this feature for the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. Look under the label "Inspire" for existing ideas that might match your own and vote!  

Let me know if there's anything else I may assist you with.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I set up my Fitbit Inspire HR yesterday and find it awesome for sleep tracking and step counting BUT I find the brightness severely lacking. Is there any way to increase the brightness of the display?

ALSO for some reason the numbers on my black Fitbit have a lilac tinge which makes them even more difficult to read. I looked on the box to see if there was any indication the numbers would be lilac (I expected white). There is not and the photo on the box shows a black Fitbit with bright white numbers. WHY is that???

Best Answer

Nope, there is no way to adjust for daylight and I don't know about the color - mine was white on black and unreadable when I was outside.  I returned mine and just got the Versa....another $100 but I need something that works.

@Marg4224 wrote:

I set up my Fitbit Inspire HR yesterday and find it awesome for sleep tracking and step counting BUT I find the brightness severely lacking. Is there any way to increase the brightness of the display?

ALSO for some reason the numbers on my black Fitbit have a lilac tinge which makes them even more difficult to read. I looked on the box to see if there was any indication the numbers would be lilac (I expected white). There is not and the photo on the box shows a black Fitbit with bright white numbers. WHY is that???

Best Answer

Love the neatness of the Inspire HR but it is virtually impossible to read outside as display far too dull and font tiny- makes it useless for monitoring activity outside, very disappointed .

Best Answer

I totally agree with you. I had a Charge 2....but after 5 months the band would not hold together. The retailer charged me ?$30 to upgrade it to the Inspire. It looks good....but I am going to throw it in the bin. I cant read it and it keeps spurting out information that I cant tell it to stop! I only want it to give me steps and sleep time and to be able to read the face. I will go and buy another Charge 2....and half a dozen straps....this is only suitable for the bin.

Best Answer

I totally agree.  I had to upgrade from an Alta HR because mine died, not because I wanted to.  The only thing I can read on the Inspire HR is the time which is nice and large.  The steps are too small of a font and the heart rate is too small as well.  I used to check my heart rate periodically while running but it's impossible with the size of the font.

Also, texts are very disappointing as on the Alta, the text went sideways from bottom to top; on the Inspire the texts are so small, they are unreadable.  All I get from a text notification is that I need to pull out my phone to check for the text.  And I don't even bother trying to look at the Inspire outside as I can't see anything at all.

Best Answer

I completely know your pain!

I recently bought the Inspire to replace my old Flex 2. I wanted realtime updates for step count etc. from the display on the Inspire without needing my phone and having to look at the App which sometimes takes for ever to sync to my fitbit.... ....ONLY you cannot read any of the info of the Inspire display, especially when it is bright outside, and if you don't wear your best reading glasses. I asked a friend of mine with 20/20 vision to read my step count and even she could hardly read it. Even when I wear glasses - which I normally try to ditch when exercising (there is nothing worse to have to deal with glasses riding up an down on your sweaty nose), I have to completely stop in my tracks, hold my wrist real still and hope I can focus long enough to read the small numbers before the display disappears again - very disappointing!!!

I checked out the options for different clock faces, but those essentially were just different font options for the time display, which is the only part that is big enough to read.

I wish clock face options could be offered that would either only display the step count in real large numbers and/or only the distance in real large numbers.... so  that you can look at your wrist at a glance and immediately read your step count/distance while still running/walking without having to completely stop in your tracks.... messing up the groove you were in, disrupting your heart rate etc. 

Another problem is the brightness of the display at night. When in sleep mode, there should be a setting for it to not come on. I would turn over and often my wrist is close to my face and all of a sudden the bright display will come on and make me a lot more awake than I wish to be in the middle of the night.

I hope Fitbit listens and takes some of these complaints and suggestions to heart in upcoming updates - PLEASE!!!

Best Answer

Its kinda of strange that the display can't be seen in daylight  when you need it to be bright, but at night it will come on like a bright laser beam when you don't need it to be that bright. I bought the Inspire because I didn't want to keep wearing a watch and a activity band. But now I have to pull out my phone to get the time, and wait till I'm back in the house to read anything on the Inspire. Time to start looking for better brand of tracker. 

Best Answer

I thought more of Fitbit as a company, because otherwise I mostly like their products.

I think they are quite capable to make some updates and adjustments to fix some of these issues with the INSPIRE trackers. Luckily some of these issues could be resolved through supporting software updates.... such as new Clock faces with larger numbers to choose from, some programming that keeps trackers asleep during the night unless you choose to "wake" it up by pushing the button.....

Fitbit, please be the company that you are, that has the capabilities and resource to fix some of these issues. You have the power!

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
First, steps and HR icons are too big while the numbers are too small. Unreadable. Make the numbers bigger for christ's sake. Nobody cares about how pretty you can make your icons. We care about results. 
Second, the screen won't stay on for longer than 3 seconds and there is no way to change it anywhere. Third, it does not have altimeter so it can't track stairs. And here's the kicker, according to this feature request forum, there are no future plans to implement any of these.  Totally useless product for my purpose. I returned it the next day. 
Best Answer

I agree. The picture of feet takes up most of the screen. Really stupid. 

Best Answer

Hi, any comments on the brightness of the screen when outside, I purchased to track time and distance when running and the minute I close the door, it’s too dull and I can’t see anything, kinda defeats the purpose?????

Best Answer

Just “upgraded” from the Alta to the inspire (wish I didn’t but my Alta stopped working)

The new watch face options confuse me. They do not seem to support typical user needs.

Most only feature the time.

When stats are included, they are tiny.

I’m genuinely curious how difficult it is to push out some new designs. Including suggestions

As a user, when I walk I need quick access that is readable of my steps and heart-rate.

As a user, when I work out, I need quick and readable display of my heart rate.

As a user, If I wanted a watch, I would be wearing a watch. I chose fibit for a reason. Hope you can support these use cases. Thank you

Best Answer

Mine is useless in daylight. I thought about buying another model but why waste my money if they are all the same outside.  🤷‍:female_sign:

Best Answer

The font is too small and the brightness far too dim to read outside unless you come to a complete stop. It wasn't even that bright outside today; I don't want to imagine how bad it would be in bright sunlight! Can this be improved at all with different watch faces? 

Another issue is the haptic feedback does not work when it gets a bit of sweat on it; you have to wipe it down before it'll register. Am seriously considering returning this and trying the Xiaomi mi 6. Very disappointing.

Best Answer

I'm Frustrated with not being able to read it outside. Most of my day is outdoors and it is sooooo difficult to even read the time! I will be getting rid of my fitbit and buying an Apple watch. 

Best Answer

I have returned mine for a Xiaomi Band 5. It's better than the Inspire 2 in every possible way apart maybe from the app - to start with, you can read it easily outside, even without being on the highest brightness setting. And it doesn't cost £80...

Best Answer