Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit not tracking distance of runs correctly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my Fitbit for about a month and all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago it stopped tracking the distance of my runs correctly. I just run the same route around my neighborhood and I know for a fact that it is 4 miles. My Fitbit used to say it was 4 miles but now it says it's just 3. I have tried restarting it. I've tried measuring my stride length. I've tried turning off the Wi-Fi so my phone can get a better GPS signal. I have tried starting my run through the app.I know that the fitbit app has permission to use location and it's connected through bluethooth. So just wondering what I should try next to get it to work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I have the exact same trouble but it is with walking.  Since May 6th it has not been accurate and for at least 6 weeks before that it tracked the distance very well.  I tried everything you have done except turning the wifi off, so I will try that.  You were more help than customer service.  All they will do is tell you to restart, sync, walk 100 steps, sync again.  When it shows your 100 steps "everything is working just fine"

Best Answer

Lots of similar commentaries sprinkled around here and the forums for the other fitbit models.  I too tried it all including a full reload of my phone.  I contacted fitbit support and was told it is a known issue that an update should fix.  They couldn't provide an timeline for that update.

I've had my inspire since early April so I've only known it as incredibly inaccurate.  I'm glad it was accurate at least a few months ago so there is hope.  I may try an older version of the app, but I'm betting its the firmware on the tracker at AFIK you can't revert.  For now, I'm just tracking with my previous app as well (which I've confirmed is accurate with other sources).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Afob3 

How nice that they told you it was a known issue!  I was told that my fitbit is working properly, it must be my phone's GPS, among other things.

@EvelynHiggins 

I tried turning the wifi off.  Still not accurate for me either 😕

So, now I have fudged my stride to see if I can get the distance to be more accurate.  When the fitbit determined it automatically, it said my stride was 29 inches.  I have now turned off the "automatic"  feature and set it myself.  I have tried different lengths the last few days and now have it set to 33 inches.  Today it was 1/10th over the actual distance.  I will probably keep it there as it was 2/10 below when I had it set at 32.  At least I'm now not 5-7 tenths off.  Fortunately, I know the distances of the routes I walk fairly well.  I can also use the "walk" feature on Google Maps to clarify my distance.  It just bums me out that I can no longer rely on the fitbit's accuracy because for the next 2 weeks I will be in an area where I don't know my routes. 

Bottom line: I won't ever buy one of these again.  I'm rather sorry now that I spent the money on it that I did. Looking at reviews, fitbit is great for heart rate and sleep. Look it up, there are better bands out there for sport activity accuracy.  <<<<I'm betting this sentence gets edited... 

Best Answer
0 Votes