Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get Inspire 2 to track sleep.

I have a new Inspire 2- a replacement after the old one stopped syncing.  I can't get this one to track sleep. Pretty bad timing cause I am picking up that there has been an upgrade and changes made to the display.  Despite my checking all the hints here (turning on sleep mode etc), although I receive the number of hours asleep, I am not getting a score or any date about Light, REM and deep sleep.  Is this because I don't have Wifi in my bedroom?  And because I usually switch my iphone to Airplane mode? Or some other reason?

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

@Penny47 , A warm welcome to the Community! Thank you for your message and Information. 

The Wifi/internet connection is only needed for the synchronization of your Inspire 2 and the Fitbit app. This doesn't affect the sleep recording , neither does having the phone in airplane mode.

Keep in mind, that you 'll need to wear the Inspire 2 to sleep at least for 4 nights consecutively, so  the tracker gets your baseline.
Make sure that the Inspire 2 is on wrist mode and not on clip mode. 

The green LEDs on the back should be blinking. 

The following conditions can prevent sleep phase recording:

- You record your sleep using the app instead of the tracker's automatic sleep detection.
- The tracker's battery is almost empty when you go to bed (below 25%). This prevents the pulse from being recorded regularly.
- You use the metal bracelet while sleeping
- You sleep less than 3 hours.
- The bracelet is too loose or too tight on the wrist. You should be able to put your index finger between the bracelet and your arm without much resistance so that your pulse is recorded regularly and sleep phases can be recognized.

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Juan- Thanks for this advice- very helpful.  I have now had 4 nights with my Fitbit on my wrist and I still can't find anything in the app except a paragraph about "Fitbit sleep tracking".  The "Log Sleep" button doesn't make any sense to me.  No score, no sleep phase charts.  Am I not using my tracker's automatic sleep detection?  How can I find out?  Or is it something else?

I am puzzled by the three hours rule.  I often wake up for half an hour about 3:30 to 4 am and use the bathroom and have a drink and then back to bed.  With my first Inspire 2, My remaining sleep time (c 3.5 to 4 hours) was usually added to the initial time(as it is now).  Sometimes however I got a reading for two separate sleeps.  How does this happen and how can I encourage it not to? 

Best Answer

this doesn't help when I've had my Inspire 2 for several years.  It randomly stops tracking sleep, or even tho I'm in bed, totally asleep by 8:00, it logs my time as 10:30 to bed.  Two nights ago, It logged me as waking up at 2:30, when I did NOT wake up until my alarm when off at 4:30.  Fitbit makes the worst sleep trackers ever.  I had a Fitbit one years ago, and it did a fine job of tracking steps and sleep.  Since I don't walk except on a treadmill, or march in place or at a grocery store with my hands on a cart, inspire 2 does not log steps, either.  My arm has to be swinging to note the steps, or I get nothing.  i wear it on my ankle, as that is the only way I can get it to track steps accurately.  

Best Answer

@catwoman , Nice to see you around. 
Just for future references and to keep the thread on topic, I'd like to ask you to keep the subject on the sleep issues. This will help other users who are looking for sleeping information.
Just to clarify. As you are doing activities with the treadmill, I assume that you place your hands on the handrails and do not move them during your walks.
This might affect the accuracy on the step count. I suggest you to post the issue with the steps on a dedicated thread to avoid confusions 
Getting back to the sleep
 Do you start the sleep record with the Fitbit app or do you let your Inspire 2 start the detection automatically? (do nothing when you go to sleep, but wear the tracker. 
I also suggest you to have a look at this: How do I track my sleep with my Fitbit device? 

@Penny47 Thank you for your reply! 

Wrist-based Fitbit devices and Google Pixel Watch series automatically detect your sleep when you wear your device to bed. We recommend wearing your device in a snug wristband while sleeping; don’t wear your device in a clip or pendant accessory. 

When your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device records that you’re asleep.

When opening the Fitbit app, on the dashboard look for the sleep tile. Tap on it, and you'll be redirected to the sleep summaries. It should be looking like this.

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is what I get on iPhone when I press “sleep” on today page. Or do you mean the dashboard on desktop website? No sign of the display you sent me.

Best
Penny47

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Either dashboard on computer, or mobile on my google pixel.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@catwoman @Penny47 , Thank you for your messages. 

I meant in the Fitbit app. Keep in mind, that the online Dashboard (fitbit.com) will not show the sleep records. 
We are releasing a new app update in the next few days. 
Keep an eye open for when it's ready to be installed. 

If after the update the issue persists,please post it here, so that we can keep working on this. 

Best Answer
Dear Juan

No, the Fitbit app on my phone does not show any details of the sleep data. Looking forward to the update.

Best wishes
Penny 47

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here no score and says only 3 or 4 hours  

---

Same here what’s going on?  Watch is 2 years old , is it time for new one?

Best Answer

Hi HB Deano as I said in my initial post, this is a brand new Fitbit which replaced one I had had since Nov 23 and thus was still under warranty.  So this Fitbit should be working perfectly buit I have not been able to get my sleep data which I find important in my health planning. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds about right re: sleep tracking. It records sleep inaccurately (or doesn’t record it at all) most of the time. Has been an issue with every Fitbit Ive had and it’s gotten worse with the last few updates with my Inspire 2. Unacceptable. When this one dies ill be taking my business elsewhere. 

Best Answer

Re: when you said “When your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device records that you’re asleep.” I was shocked to learn this and it should be fixed and also isn’t completely accurate. It should detect sleep much sooner and should not have anything to do with your body not moving. What about naps? Restless sleepers? These are both common things. It actually does still recognize sleep despite these factors once I enter it manually but I shouldn’t have to do that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Re: when you said “When your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device records that you’re asleep.” I was shocked to learn this and it should be fixed and also isn’t completely accurate. It should detect sleep much sooner and should not have anything to do with your body not moving. What about naps? Restless sleepers? These are both common things. It actually does still recognize sleep despite these factors once I enter it manually but I shouldn’t have to do that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes