Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accurate calories burned - MyFitnessPal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m confused about how to log daily calories from exercise. I have always manually input calories into my fitness pal for my workouts. Now I am doing that and it’s also automatically syncing with my Fitbit calories. So do my Fitbit calories include my workout calories? For example, I burned 579 calories (calculated using versa) during a run. I logged that into MyFitnessPal and Fitbit synced logging another 544 for the day (over 9k steps). obviously this 544 can’t include the workout, but should I deduct some? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Your fitbit tracks both your exercise calories and your BMR calories. These are the calories you burn just keeping your body alive (even when asleep). They are calculated from your profile settings for age, height, weight etc so you needn't be wearing your fitbit to get them. What you are seeing includes the total BMR calories burned since midnight and might explain the "extra" 544

My question to you would be, why are you logging your run into MyFitnessPal if your versa has already tracked it? If your accounts are linked then the data will be copied across from the versa to MFP so there's no need to log it again.

If you do manually log it (in either fitbit or MFP) then it will overwrite the data that the versa tracked so you don't get the benefit of your fitbit tracking your activity and heart rate.

What I do is to log my food into MFP, let my versa track activity and where the activity is not step based (so versa doesn't track it very well) then I manually log it in fitbit. 

Best Answer

my total calories burned for the day were 3746. 

My versa has synced late evening and logged 544, but at some point later that changed to 924, so I’m assuming the 924 includes the 579 from my run and the remaining 350 or so were from steps. 

It doesn’t always do that though. Some days versa will sync and log less calories than what I burned just during activity. I may take 9,000 steps in a day and it will log 400 calories In MyFitnessPal, yet I will have burned over 500 just during a workout. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

steps and BMR calories

Best Answer