Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I swim with the Versa in the SEA?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I have that basic question because I need to see if the sea water is going to harm my Fitbit at all?

Thanks for the response. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Versa is “5 ATM” or “Water-Resistant to 50 Meters”.  Or, put another way, it withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters.

But water resistant ISN'T waterproof. 

There is no such thing as a waterproof device.  Every product, no matter how carefully engineered, has a failure point. Every smartphone, every smartwatch, every wearable, every “waterproof” camera, every single device, has a point where a combination of water temperature, depth, length of exposure, or manipulation of the device while submerged, will lead to a failure of the water resisting.

The Versa is well-rated for submersion below shallow depth while swimming.

As for salt water, I wouldn't swim with my Versa in the ocean. When saltwater gets inside a device, it can affect the hardware in two major ways: it can short circuit the device and cause corrosion or buildup. I use my Fitbit devices while sailing on the ocean,  but not while I'm swimming in it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I dont see why it would harm it if it can already go down 50 meters. I would wash it with fresh water once you get out though. 

Best Answer

The reason why I ask this, is because "Sea Water" damages a lot of electronics, for what I've seen... and its different from river water or pool water.

Best Answer

I wouldn't try it.  Will it get water damage?  Probably not.  However, the salt in the salt water may cause some damage.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Fitbit Versa is “5 ATM” or “Water-Resistant to 50 Meters”.  Or, put another way, it withstands pressures equivalent to a depth of 50 meters.

But water resistant ISN'T waterproof. 

There is no such thing as a waterproof device.  Every product, no matter how carefully engineered, has a failure point. Every smartphone, every smartwatch, every wearable, every “waterproof” camera, every single device, has a point where a combination of water temperature, depth, length of exposure, or manipulation of the device while submerged, will lead to a failure of the water resisting.

The Versa is well-rated for submersion below shallow depth while swimming.

As for salt water, I wouldn't swim with my Versa in the ocean. When saltwater gets inside a device, it can affect the hardware in two major ways: it can short circuit the device and cause corrosion or buildup. I use my Fitbit devices while sailing on the ocean,  but not while I'm swimming in it.

Best Answer

I wouldn't. The pins in the bands will corrode with regular exposure to salt water.

Best Answer

Pebble has similar pins I would swim with that in the gulf often for the past 2 years.. if you rinse it off with clean water afterwards it's okay. The worst thing would be a salt could get into the button area... Pebble 2 doesn't let anything in but this might.

Best Answer

Hello there,

Thank you for your answer.I agree with most what you said but as a swimmer i bought the versa especially because i can swim with it and not think about it.

So you are telling me that if i keep swiming with it and monitor my swiming activities, my waterresistant watch will stop working some day ? Great

Best Answer

I used my Versa for swimming in the pool multiple times over several months with no problems. Then I used it to swim in the ocean (shallow water up to 10 feet) the other day and immediately began having problems with the battery not holding a charge for longer than a few hours. Not sure if it was just coincidence but I'm glad that fitbit is replacing my Versa at no charge since it is under warranty. However, I will not go swimming in the ocean with my new one.  

Best Answer

I spent 10 minutes splashing around in the ocean and my Versa failed immediately-  no corrosion or buildup possible. I'm now on my 3rd Versa. Customer service is not very responsive.  Fortunately I bought it at a store that has a generous return policy. 

Best Answer

Get a Garmin. My husband swims daily with his! I swam for 10 minutes and my Versa failed!

Best Answer

I already had a Fitbit Flexi specially for swimming and it lasted three months only in a pool and I’m wondering about my new Versa in the pool can I risked it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do not swim in Ocean with your fitbit.

I just cooked my Ionic. The salt kills it.

I have swam many times in pools and fresh water lakes with no problem, but the Ocean will ruin it.

SB

Best Answer
I have been swimming three times a week for the last year in a swimming
pool and it works brilliant so very happy with it
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happened with my versa after a few weeks swimming in the ocean. I’m not going to risk it with my replacement. 

Best Answer

I wouldn't. Saltwater is highly conductive and the charging pads are exposed on the back of the watch which could easily short out causing poof!

Best Answer

so the reason I bought the watch was to track my activity. Salty sweat must kill it too. Nice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't do it. I just got back from a trip where my Versa was exposed to saltwater. The first time was brief and I noticed the screen acting up, it was stuck scrolling through apps screens. It stopped and started working properly again. A couple of days later I wore my versa in the ocean again, for about 30 - 45 minutes this time. It died. At first, it was still sending alerts and counting steps but the screen was blank. Then, when the battery died, it would not recharge.

Best Answer
Thank you. I am more concerned swimming in my salt water pool. But I am thinking that your experience would apply here too. I will remove it before I jump in. Better safe than sorry. Thank you again for your insight

Fran McElroy
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's too late for you now. And too late for me. But hopefully others can be saved!

I was stupid enough to swim in the sea with my Versa this summer

8 months of twice weekly swimming in a pool tracked my activity automatically like a dream.

After three days in the sea in Italy the left button went. I struggled on with the 'lift your hand to see the time' function. Then that went and I couldn't change the screen at all. Then the bluetooth connection to my smartphone went

It died a painful death over the course of a week. Now it's gone. Out of warranty, I will get another but be a bit more careful!

Best Answer