Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone tell me how Versa knows I'm sleeping?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i use Fitbit One. For that I press the button and hold until it starts the timer mode.  That tells it I'm asleep. How would Versa know I'm sleeping vs. watching TV?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Lizzz38  First, yes, you can tell your FitBit that you are taking a nap.  Go into the FitBit app on your phone and press the sleep tile.  In the sleep section press the + (plus) sign in the upper corner and select Begin Sleep Now.  Second, I have had the FitBit think I'm asleep but I'm really laying in my bed at night watching TV.  I've also had it not think I'm asleep also while watching tv.  I guess it depends on how relaxed you are, what your heart rate is at that moment and if you are laying still enough.  And, yes, if you thrash around at night, get up to visit the bathroom or read in the middle of the night, the FitBit will register your sleep log with an "Awake" period.  To get the detailed sleep log, you need to be asleep for at least 3 hrs.  Less that 3 hrs and you will get a simplified sleep log.  If you don't press "Begin Sleep Now" and let the FitBit detect your sleep automatically, you need to sleep for at least an hour for it to be detected.  I believe you need to use automatic sleep detection to be able to get a detailed sleep log for an entire night's sleep.  I hope that answers all your questions.

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

I think it's a combo of reduced heart-rate and movement over a certain duration that shows as "sleep".  Naps don't last long enough to trigger it, though.  The same time constraints probably include watching TV.

Best Answer

I usually take a nap when I come home from work. Is there no way to "tell" it I'm napping? My naps generally only last 10-20 mins.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it’s pixie dust.  

Not sure. But I know if you fall asleep watching tv and sleep for an hour it logs in as sleep. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't mean fall asleep watching TV. I mean, if I'm sitting still watching TV, will it appear that I'm sleeping? And on the flip side, when I am asleep and thrashing around in bed fighting my covers, is that perceived as sleep or exercise?  LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lizzz38  First, yes, you can tell your FitBit that you are taking a nap.  Go into the FitBit app on your phone and press the sleep tile.  In the sleep section press the + (plus) sign in the upper corner and select Begin Sleep Now.  Second, I have had the FitBit think I'm asleep but I'm really laying in my bed at night watching TV.  I've also had it not think I'm asleep also while watching tv.  I guess it depends on how relaxed you are, what your heart rate is at that moment and if you are laying still enough.  And, yes, if you thrash around at night, get up to visit the bathroom or read in the middle of the night, the FitBit will register your sleep log with an "Awake" period.  To get the detailed sleep log, you need to be asleep for at least 3 hrs.  Less that 3 hrs and you will get a simplified sleep log.  If you don't press "Begin Sleep Now" and let the FitBit detect your sleep automatically, you need to sleep for at least an hour for it to be detected.  I believe you need to use automatic sleep detection to be able to get a detailed sleep log for an entire night's sleep.  I hope that answers all your questions.

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lizzz38On the wrist based trackers Fitbit uses the HR and it's variability (HRV) plus your movement to detect sleep.. This link explains it in simple terms. This link to Fitbit News discusses the Sleeping. If you want to know more about HRV search the web because there are tests showing how it can be used to detect driver drowsiness.

I have found sleep accurate for me, and yes, if I get entranced in a TV documentary for more than an hour it measures that ... Not always...

I'm always creating activities for my sleeping HR to equate it to the RHR and it never comes out as exercise, the image below has only 66 steps over 9 hours...

sleep 14apr18.jpg

@Lizzz38 wrote:

I don't mean fall asleep watching TV. I mean, if I'm sitting still watching TV, will it appear that I'm sleeping? And on the flip side, when I am asleep and thrashing around in bed fighting my covers, is that perceived as sleep or exercise?  LOL

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

it's thought i'm sleeping while watching TV....but usually it when i'm trying to wind down to sleep... so it would think i've been sleeping for longer than i know i have been

but it makes a good guess for the most part 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your nap needs to be longer than an hour to be tracked .

KC | Texas
One, Charge HR, Charge 2, Versa | Galaxy S9 Plus
Best Answer
0 Votes

@swim4lifekac wrote:

Your nap needs to be longer than an hour to be tracked .

Smiley HappyAnd longer than 3 hours if you want to see your sleep patterns.. I have just recovered from a bad Strep throat and was isolated in my house... Phew sleep, sleep and sleep.. the image shows the naps and longer naps (3 hrs) with sleep patterns.

Screenshot_20180422-132738.PNG

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes