Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read text messages on my versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My versa will tell me I have a text but I can't read it on the versa. Any help?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

so are you saying I should be able to read my texts now?

@Rbromero wrote:

I just checked that too and yes fitbit has all permissions. 

so how do I read my texts on my phone.I am not trying to be a pest. I just want to know what I should do and do it right. you have been awesome

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
46 REPLIES 46

What phone are you using?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Samsung galaxy s8 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You need to go to app permissions in settings and click on FITBIT app and make sure it has permission to read contacts, sms, location, and phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did that. It appears the only way to get the messages to be readable on the versa is if I make my messages pop up and readable on my lock screen which defeats the purpose of a lock screen.    😞 

Best Answer

Is Samsung Messages your default text app? If so, go to Notifications in Settings on your phone and see if the notification is on for Messages. Also  make sure this app is selected in notifications in your fitbit app for your messaging app.

Alternatively, use Textra and test that - this is the best Android texting app over the years in my opinion. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it is my default. I did add permissions for fitbit to receive my messages and I did add permissions in the fitbit app. When I changed the notifications in the messaging app to allow messages to pop up on lock screen i was able to see my messages on my fitbit. I don't want to have my messages readable on my lock screen so it won't work. I will try the textra app. Thank you for all your help. 

Best Answer

No problem at all. Try checking one more thing. Go to Lockscreen and Security in settings. Scroll down to Notification Access. Is Fitbit Notification Service enabled? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just checked that too and yes fitbit has all permissions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, I guess you'll have to just join the cool people with Textra 😁

Best Answer

I am using an Iphone

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using textra, with Samsung S9+, and not able to read text messages.  I have followed everything in this thread and verified my settings.  Any additional thoughts?

Best Answer

S8+ here, but also using Textra and unable to read text messages. 

What gives?  Seeing text messages on my wrist is the main reason I bought this watch (replacing a Pebble that I loved, but is no longer supported, and a Fossil that doesn't display messages), without that capability, this watch is next to worthless to me.  Are there any FitBit staff monitoring the forum, or just community volunteers?

Best Answer

Dave, found a great thread in this same forum that resolved the issue, I'd link but didn't save it.  Short answer is the problem can be solved, I am now seeing texts from my Textra app.  Combination of loosening up settings on the Android device and in Textra AND in the fitbit app.  One problem was I hadn't given fitbit app permissions to display to my phone.

Also had message restricted from my lock screen on my phone, that has to be turned on in order to pass it to the fitbit versa.  In lock screen & security in settings, have to enable notifications and NOT hide content, which I did.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have step by step but there were at least 3 separate things I had to enable.

Best Answer

Showing messages on my phone's lockscreen is unacceptable for me.  My other watches have displayed them on my watches while not displaying them on my lockscreen.  I understand that others have had them displayed on their Versa but not their lockscreen.  Why can't FitBit get this right?

I appreciate your help, though! 

Best Answer

@DaTrueDave, @Starsfan56 In Textra go to Settings>Customize Notifications>Define Notifications and set the Android Heads Up Buttons as per my screen shot. You should get and be able to reply (Android) to text messages with these settings. Screenshot_20180606-181052.png

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can’t read mine either

Best Answer

i cant open my messages in my fitbit when i recieve notification

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure of you have found a solution, but I just set this watch up and ran into the same issue. Found that within the Textra App you need to allow it to show sender name and message, BUT THEN go into your phones APP Setting --> Textra --> On Lock Screen --> Hide Contents. That worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! I finally got it. Confusing

With fond regards,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes