Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't charge for Versa clock faces

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to post this. Please forgive me if it isn't.

I am a fairly new Versa owner and ADORE my watch. It's helping me to be more aware of my health, my exercise needs, my sleep patterns and so much more! I also love the ability to change the face on my Versa to suit my mood, a holiday, a hobby or interest, sports...the list is endless.

I bow to you developers for the creativity and imagination you possess. I wish I had even a of your talents in my little finger. The time and concentration, not to mention the patience I know it takes you to make all of the varieties of faces is astonishing.  I know this because I researched how to make the faces (without any programming experience) and came up with very disappointing results. I simply cannot do it. I do not have that kind of patience.  So WELL DONE developers!

That being said, I have a few questions for you. 1) Why do you charge for making the faces? And, 2) do you make enough money from making faces to sustain your lives? I mean, does the face-making really make a difference to make a career change profitable enough to live on? Or do you have other jobs? And also, 3) would you ever consider making faces you do NOT charge for?

I have to ask that from curiosity, but also because (and you're not going to like this) I am not (ever) going to pay for my Versa faces.  The reason for this is not because I simply can't afford them...which I can't.  But honestly, after paying for my watch and because of life's necessities, I really don't understand why I should have to pay, even $.99, for a face on my expensive watch. Again, they are amazing, and really cool, but I don't see having to pay for something that I think should be included with the package! 

Please forgive me if you are offended by this. And if you can give me a sensible, reasonable justification why you need to charge for faces, then I would be interested in hearing that...but I probably will never change. 

So therefore, I would like to bow AND curtsy and do flips to all of the developers ("Amy", you are a SAINT!) who do not charge for the faces they create.  They ask for donations...which I HAVE done, because they are humble enough to not charge for them. But it seems to me they are the ones who do it simply for the love of creating something they know people will enjoy! THOSE are the very talented developers I will honor by downloading their faces. Those are the developers who will get my donations. (And it will be more than the cost most developers charge for a face).

If you are a developer who does NOT charge for your faces, but asks for donations, please leave your name here... there is no way to "search" the choice of faces for "Free". 

Thank you for reading my post and (praying) NOT bashing me.

Comments:  Okay, Go!

Moderator edit: added label

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit never charges for their own clock faces (apps). 3rd party developers do because this is a way of earning a living. Few will bother to develop an app if there is noting in it for them. It's not like Google apps where a developer can offer a free app and then make money on ads. If you don't want to pay for an app, that is your choice. But you will rarely find a developer providing an app for free so your choices will always be limited.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

Fitbit never charges for their own clock faces (apps). 3rd party developers do because this is a way of earning a living. Few will bother to develop an app if there is noting in it for them. It's not like Google apps where a developer can offer a free app and then make money on ads. If you don't want to pay for an app, that is your choice. But you will rarely find a developer providing an app for free so your choices will always be limited.

Best Answer

I am not a developer and I also use free faces as I do not need to change the faces all the time.

You are asking why developers charge for the faces. You answered that question. You tried to create one but you just can't. That is the reason developers charge for them. People are paying for their talents and for the efforts they put into the work. The developer might be a student trying to make money with his talent to pay tuition fees, a mother who's looking for a source of income while taking care of the kids, a father fired from a job and trying hard to make ends meet so he could feed his children. These are people who invested on their time and effort (and patience) and that's what we pay for. It's life, we can't have everything on the shelf for free. You go to a toy store. Your kid wants a particular toy, then you have to pay for it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes