Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa Screen fell out of Frame

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, 

I live in Australia, Sydney (the relevancy of this will come later), I bought a Fitbit Versa last year (May if I recall if I correctly) so as of this moment my device is almost a year old give or take a couple of months.

I wear it every day cause its my watch and I use step counter. Also despite the swim distance log it apparently has I don't get it wet when I can avoid it.

Today, I glance down at my Fitbit to find the screen (so the bit which displays all the data) has effectively come off and is hanging by the cable just out of where it sits in the rose gold frame.

I was naturally quite shocked as I wasn't doing anything that would warrant or could accidently cause a break at that instant. I was only sorting out clothes, so all I potentially did was brush against some cloth and it came loose.

I have slipped and banged it against things before (cause I use it while exercising and accidents happen), but nothing at the least in the last 24-48 hours from what I recall.

So, my question is why has it come loose?

Could it be the heatwave that we are currently experiencing in Sydney (30-40 degrees Celsius or more some days, with sometimes 90% or more humidity)?

As I currently don't live in a residence with air conditioning and technically this is the first summer I have owned this device.

On a brighter note it still works thankfully, and I currently have some tape wrapped around it hoping the glue or whatever was holding it re-sets and all is well again.

If it doesn't fix itself in this manner, how would I go about fixing this it?

Best Answer
92 REPLIES 92

Hello! This happened to mine too. What is the resolution? I reached out to customer service and was not given much help outside of a 25% discount. Definitely not satisfied with this because it's my second Fitbit that has been faulty. And my wife's has been replaced once because of a defect. 

Best Answer

No resokution I’m afraid. FitBit were not helpful at all.

My best,
Anthea

Moderator edit: content 

Best Answer

@agb2019 

That unfortunately seems to be the common experience with Fitbit

Best Answer

No resolution. You can glue it back but then you loose most of the smartwatch functions. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue with my FitBit Versa. The face cover is loose on one side, but has not fallen out. Any success? FitBit Support, how can I create a ticket?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SeattleTina20 wrote:

Hi @swill41005 ,

The glue works to secure the face back to the base however you loose alot of the functionality of the watch. You can only tell time, track heart rate, steps, and sleep. If there were re- occuring alarms set on the watch before it broke they will continue to alarm but you cannot change or remove them. 

Why would glue around the edges of the screen cause the fitbit to not work? What capabilities are lost when you try to glue it to the screen?

Well I'm done with Fitbit Versa now. I bought the fancy Versa a couple of years ago and the screen just fell off one day.  I happen to call Fitbit two days before the one year warranty was up, and then it took some time convincing them to replace it. 

Then a year later, the screen on the replacement just falls off, and Fitbit refuses to replace it other than a paltry 25% discount on something that's clearly their fault.

Costco is selling the Apple watch for $100 more and way more functionality and reliability.  I'm skipping the $200 Versa 2 and going for the $300 Apple Watch Series 5.  At least the screen won't just fall off.

Best Answer

Few days ago, i went to swimming pool, precisely  to big water slides when i noticed my whole display is missing... Because that water flow from slides made turbulence, i couldn't find the display till park was closed... Cable ribbons seemed undamaged so i waited for few days, putted all in place and on my own surprise, device worked flawlessly, we will see how long but i was surprised that i even find it, that cables was undamaged and that battery didn't died like whole device itself... I was lucky, i suppose 😄  

Best Answer

My display just fell of today and was hanging by the wire. I can’t believe there was no adhesive even !  Why they quality went so down. I hope Fitbit would accept to exchange my item

Best Answer

Just for your knowledge, there devices have a serial number

Best Answer
0 Votes

My display fell out on my Fitbit Versa earlier this week. I have been wearing this smartwatch for about 17 months. I contacted Fitbit for repair guidance and the answer I received was a 25% discount on a new Versa. I glued the screen back in  carefully but now it doesn't work as a touchscreen. The functionality of Fitbit's is good. Build quality is poor. My opinion is based on having owned several Fitbit products. They are just made to last for between 1&2 years. Buying an extended warranty is a good idea. It is cheaper than buying a new Fitbit every 12 to 18 months.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm going to upgrade to the Apple as well. I really liked Fitbit, but the issues with the Versa has put a very bad taste in mouth with the brand. I refuse to buy extended warranties.. if a company won't stand behind their products then they do not deserve my money.

Best Answer

same thing happened to me.  I went to look at my fit bit and the screen was off.  I didnt drop it or anything.  crazy and dissappointing because I really count on my fit bit, and it was expensive...

Best Answer

The same thing happened to me tonight WHILE I WAS SWIMMING! So needless to say all of the insides got wet and it not longer works. I contacted Fitbit support and am eagerly refreshing my email to see what they say. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It happened to me as well and i got really bad experience with customer care when i chatted with them. 

See the notes below

Mari:Hi Sugumar, My name is Mari. How can I help you?
Mari:Are you there? This chat will close after 1 minute.
Me:My fitbit versa top screen opened automartically with out any action
Mari:?
Me:It suddently happened yesterday
Mari:I don't understand the issue, sorry.
Mari:Is the display working?
Me:https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/Versa-screen-fell-off/m-p/3460105#M93941
Mari:Swiping properly? Giving you image?
Me:I have this issue
Me:Display is working but top screen is came out of body
Mari:Screen detached from the body?
Me:Yes
Mari:Okay. Before we begin, can you please provide me with the email address associated with the Fitbit account?
Me:I see this happened for many users and looks like flaw
Mari:Okay.
Me:ramugus@gmail.com
Mari:After checking the system, it shows that the device last synced yesterday via iOS.
Me:yes
Mari:Can you please provide me with a picture showing the part of thescreen that cameoff? The picture must show your case number (36899180) handwritten on a piece of paper next to the product.
Me:Sure
Me:how to send you?
Mari:Let me know when the picture is ready and I'll send a link so you can upload the picture right here in this chat.
Me:give me 2 mins
Me:i am looking for papper
Me:can i write in picture directly ?
Me:using photoshop
Mari:No.
Me:ok
Mari:Let me know when you are done.
Me:sure
Me:i am ready
Your file has been successfully uploaded to the agent.
Mari:After checking warranty, the system shows that your device was first used around 11 of 2018. This would mean the device has exhausted its warranty
Mari:Keep in mind that our warranty covers devices and it's accessories for a period of 365 days and it's not renewed by a replacement.
Mari:But, I've been able to find something: a complimentary discount offer on any of our eligible devices at our Fitbit online store.
Me:This is really bad since i didn't do anything for this damage to happen
Me:And this is happening for lot of users
Mari:I understand Sugumar, but as per policies, devices shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase
Mari:I'll send the link to your email and you have 30 days to use it.
Mari:Also, after this chat ends, you will receive a brief survey to rate my service. I would really appreciate your feedback. Is there anything else you'd like me to check for you?
Me:That wont work
Me:atleast you should help me to fix the screen
Mari:We do not have any repair shops or center and I can't tell you to use any adhesive for the screen.
Mari:As I am not authorized to do so.
Me:i am not in situation to buy again 😞
Mari:I'm sorry Sugumar, I know these are hard times, but this is as per policies.
Mari:Is there anything else you'd like me to check for you?
Me:The problem is very clear that it happened for lot of devices and flaw in design
Mari:Yes and as long as any device is under warranty we are able to replace it, as I mentioned above by frasing our policies.
Me:If you can't help what is the reason for me to run and get a white paper to take picture and send yo
Me:*you
Mari:To check warranty and state of device, Sugumar
Me:I will see if i can escalate this and get a justice for me
Mari:Okay. Is there anything else you'd like me to check for you?
Mari:I am now proceeding to release this chat. Please reopen a new one or visit Fitbit.com/help for more information. Thank you for contacting Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately that is about normal for Fitbit. Since I started the topic, I can count on one hand the number of people who got support from Fitbit over this issue.

Both my wife and I switched to the Charge when we last claimed warranty from the retailer under Australian Consumer Law

Sent from my iPad

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mari:But, I've been able to find something: a complimentary discount offer on any of our eligible devices at our Fitbit online store.
Mari:I'll send the link to your email and you have 30 days to use it.

Lol, yes this was their response on the phone to me.  I had the Fitbit Versa Special Edition where the screen randomly fell out about two days before the warranty ended.  After fighting with the customer care person, she honored the warranty and shipped a new watch (without a band - i thought that was kinda poor taste) to me.  Well about a year later, its screen fell off as well.  I called back, and they said that the warranty doesn't apply on replacements.  They did offer a paltry 25% discount towards the new Versa 2.  LOL.  Really?

I've really enjoyed my Apple Watch Series 5 that cost $80 more than the Versa.  The only thing I kinda miss about the Fitbit is that you can customize the watch face with a bazillion 3rd party apps. However, Apple is catching up and their screen is amazing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally had this happen to me as well about a year in. I'm kind of a tinkerer, so I figured I'd check out possible solutions after I was told nothing I could do besides replace. I know there are things like watch crystal cement, but I didn't think this would work. I know superglue or epoxy would be useless. So after trying some options best thing I found was plain clear silicone. Comes in a tube, basically any hardware or automotive store will have. I put a drop about the size of half a pencil eraser in each corner. Only trick was getting it to squeeze in and hold until set. I have a small vise so for me it was easy. But I think you'd need something more that rubberbands to hold this in place to set. Let it sit overnight, cleaned off the excess that squeezed out. Looked perfect, just like new. 6 weeks later still functions, all functions, with no noticeable issues. Should hold fine, as I've used silicone many times on bonding glass to other materials with no issues. Would be happy to help anyone that needs advice on what I did!

Best Answer

My screen fell off also.  As I am just out side of my warranty period, they kindly offered to help me buy a new one.  This one still works I just need the face to stay on the frame.  They had no response.

But, I’ve seen videos that say to use E7000 adhesive all the way around the edge of th frame, put the screen in place and gently clamp until dry.  It’s suppose to work like a charm.  I’m running to the store and giving this a try.

Best Answer

I had the same experience with mine last night; sitting on the couch and the face fell off.  I was looking for solutions, but like yourself, I've had mine since December 2018.  Guess I'll be looking for jewelry adhesive, too.

Best Answer

I am going to buy a Versa 2 but also purchase 3 year warranty. I like the Fitbit software experience but the watch build quality is not very good.

Best Answer