Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa distance inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map in my fitbit app correctly, but the distance is way off. To me this seems to be a software issue, which should be easily resolved in another software updated. Please fix this issue asap! If my old Fitbit Charge HR was able track the distance correctly via the fitbit app, why isn't the Versa? 

Thx

Raf

Moderator edit: subject and format

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147

Because the Connected GPS implementation on the Versa as it stands is fundamentally flawed.

Have a look at the many Connected GPS threads in the forum. Many people are reporting the same issues.

However, if you email Fitbit they will reply asking you to restart your bluetooth, restart your phone and restart your tracker. None of these work and is a waste of your time.

I am returning mine to the retailer and hopefully getting a refund as I dont want to beta test what is essentially an overpriced pedometer.

Best Answer

I have the same issues. Tracking is so off. For every 60 steps I take it tracks only 40. SO DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS TRACKER. I tracked my walk using MayMyWalk and Fitbit at the same time. MapMyWalk logged me at 5 miles. Fitbit logged 4.15 miles. Not even close. MapMyWalk said I burned 926 calories. FitBit said I burned over 2000. I did an update yesterday to see if it would help. Nope. Nothing changed. And like you said... maps it correctly but measuring is so off. It is definitely a software issue. They need to fix it.

Best Answer

Hey @Raffinaderij@lanilove68 welcome to the Forums and @charge2fan it's great to see you around.

I am sorry to hear that you are seeing some discrepancies in your information. Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length.

Also, we estimate your stride lengths using your height and gender. If you have a Fitbit Blaze, Fitbit Charge 2, Fitbit Ionic, or Fitbit Versa and track one or more runs using on-board or connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes. Now, if you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths yourself and enter them manually, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?.

Note that when you're tracking an activity with GPS, Fitbit calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, the tracker will calculate distance using steps and stride length as described above until a GPS signal is found.

I hope this helps, catch you later. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I am on my 2nd Versa. Returned the first one thinking it was defective. Still having the same issue.

Please someone give me the fix. My stride length is set at 28 but the Versa calculates me at 20!!!

So far off I never hit my goals. Flights of stairs are off as well I log maybe 2 flights for every 7!

This is unacceptable!

Best Answer

I got the same issue today. My friend and I were running and his watch (different from FitBit) registered 10km and my fitbit Versa registered 7.35km. 

I'm start to thinking that this watch doesn't worth the price.

Best Answer
I am soooo disappointed with this watch. I bought one for me and my mother
and they are both crap. $400 down the drain.
Best Answer

I am currently trying to work with Fitbit and will be be emailing screenshots of some of my walks with and without GPS enabled to prove inaccuracies. I really feel like the Versa needs to be recalled and refunds made to buyers until they can figure this out. Extremely unfair that we've paid for a device that is proven by so many to be nothing of what it is advertised. As a long time Fitbit user and self proclaimed spokesperson for the Blaze, I feel ripped off.And the hours I've spent on the phone with them trying to remedy this situation, returning and replacing the original I purchased, my friends and family think I'm nuts. Has everyone else just chalked the Versa up as a loss or is there a fix?

Is there a reason we are all just accepting this? This is unacceptable. Fitbit needs to recall this item and refund a whole lot of people for the flawed device we have all paid for.

Have your issues been resolved? Did you return the devices? I have been working with them and not much luck. Not sure what to do next.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Additionally, the camorie count is inconsistent.

I've had my versa for about a month now.  I've noticed that the estimated calories burned must be unaccurate.  I took 13000 steps one day and burned 2600 cals and another took 8000 steps and burned 2700. Clearly this makes no sense.  I am trying to.use it to judge how much I should be eating based on what I'm burning, and Versa should make it easier to figure this out.  For a $200 Fitbit the tracker should be accurate. Its the MAIN FEATURE of the device!  It looks great, but what is the point if it is not accurate in estimating calories burned?  Anyone else having this problem?

Lisa

Best Answer

I did 6322 steps yesterday, got 4.76 km.

Today I was led 9022 steps and only got 4.56 km! 

This is my third Fitbit, I would think there would be significant improvements with calculating steps and kilometres with the  Versa, compared to my first Fitbit charge HR and then my Fitbit Blaze. My Blaze died completely within 6 months. I almost went with an Apple Watch instead, but decided to give the Versa a chance. 

Something needs to be done to correct the inaccuracies. This is a lot of money to pay for a fitness tracker that is so inaccurate. Feeling very disappointed with Fitbit. I may just return it and give up on Fitbit!

Best Answer

@Raffinaderij wrote:

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map

Moderator edit: subject and format

I did 6322 steps yesterday, got 4.76 km.

Today I was led 9022 steps and only got 4.56 km! 

This is my third Fitbit, I would think there would be significant improvements with calculating steps and kilometres with the  Versa, compared to my first Fitbit charge HR and then my Fitbit Blaze. My Blaze died completely within 6 months. I almost went with an Apple Watch instead, but decided to give the Versa a chance. 

Something needs to be done to correct the inaccuracies. This is a lot of money to pay for a fitness tracker that is so inaccurate. Feeling very disappointed with Fitbit. I may just return it and give up on Fitbit!

Best Answer
Yes. Someone with the same problem. I get that HR is a factor and that
BMR is included in the total calories but I do generally the same
activities and amount everyday. I don't see how the calories can vary so
much. Widh someone would reply with a solution not just telling me I'm
interrupting it wrong. I'm going to call Fitbit and see if there is
something that can be done. Ill keep u posted.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been a fitbit user for many years and have my stride specifically set.  The Versa is definitely not taking this stride into the calculation.  The mileage calculation seems very random on the same amount of steps.  This should really be addressed as it's been going on since the start.

Best Answer
It is so frustrating, my original Fitbit seemed to be a lot more accurate.
Fitbit needs to do something about it or they will start losing a lot of loyal customers.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Yes, I agree. I also have had a couple days that when I got up it had
tracked a significant amount of sreps. This morning there were 7000 steps
as s9on as I got out of bed?! I need to call them.
Best Answer

I used to measure my distance on a free phone app and the 5miles distance shows as only 4.3m on the Fitbit. I assumed that it was the free app which was wrong but now I'm not so sure.

Best Answer

Please contact them. The more of us that do and demand a resolution, maybe they will do something about it. we paid too much for such inaccuracies.

Best Answer

Please contact them. I have been in constant contact proving with screenshots that the Versa is inaccurate. If enough of us do, maybe they will do something about it. Too much money to chalk up as a loss.

Best Answer

I never had these issues with the Blaze. Please contact them. If enough of us do, maybe they will do something about this. I have been a loyal Fitbit user and am not happy at all with the Versa.

Best Answer

So glad I am not the only one. I see now there are lots of people with the same issues. Please contact them. If they don't know there is a problem, it will never get resolved and we will have to chalk the Versa up as a loss and being a loyal Fitbit user, I am really hoping this gets fixed.

Best Answer