Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa distance inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map in my fitbit app correctly, but the distance is way off. To me this seems to be a software issue, which should be easily resolved in another software updated. Please fix this issue asap! If my old Fitbit Charge HR was able track the distance correctly via the fitbit app, why isn't the Versa? 

Thx

Raf

Moderator edit: subject and format

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147
Fitbit is WHACK!
Best Answer
0 Votes
They were the same way with me. Couldn't care less.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fergal3 that says it all about fitbit saying 'Go to strava to ask why they can report accurate data' 😂. They don't care at all, this thread has had minimal input from mods, like the one that was deleted.  The best we can do is get a Garmin and tell all our friends and family not to buy products from fitbit as they don't work as advertised and customer support is non-existent. 

This company is probably one of the worst I have had the misfortune to deal with. Cannot wait to get my garmin! 

Best Answer

It does.. my versa 2 is a km off my husbands ionic. We walk the same place, same area and  GPS on. 

Best Answer

Mine  tracks my steps well enough,  but the km in my runs is rarely the same from one day to the next,  and I always run the same route. 

Generally it shows me as running a km less than Strava.  I go by Strava  as it is consistent. 

I have tried everything,  so I  pretty much have to ignore it now. 

Best Answer

My understanding is that the versa 2 uses my phones GPS,  so my stride should not impact the outcome. 

A km is a km, regardless of how many steps it takes to achieve. 

And the fact that it changes from run to run is incredibly frustrating. 

Best Answer

I don't think this answer really helping. Today I used my fitbit versa and also used another app in my phone. The app is using GPS and it showing me as I walked 24.56. My Friend used another app that also showing almost same (it showed 25.01). We both started/finished same place. So, if Fitbit Versa also uses the GPS then why it showing me as 18.04 km. No way the fitbit calculation is near to other two Apps.. I was using the Fitbit almost past 5 years. Now planning to giveup with Fitbit products. Not accurate enough. The have to improve their products.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for the details mentioned and the troubleshooting performed prior to posting. 

I see where your disappointment is coming from. Your feedback and comments are appreciated, we're always striving to improve our services offered. 

Take into consideration that when you track an activity with GPS, your device calculates your distance using GPS data rather than steps. If you begin moving before you get a GPS signal, your device calculates distance using your steps until GPS connects.

Fitbit devices multiply steps for stride length and the result is the distance travelled. To update your stride length, track a run with GPS or measure your stride length manually. For more information, see Can I change my stride length in my Fitbit account?

Feel free to check out this article for additional information How accurate are Fitbit devices? 

As of right now, this thread will be closed, If needed open a new thread. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes