Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa distance inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map in my fitbit app correctly, but the distance is way off. To me this seems to be a software issue, which should be easily resolved in another software updated. Please fix this issue asap! If my old Fitbit Charge HR was able track the distance correctly via the fitbit app, why isn't the Versa? 

Thx

Raf

Moderator edit: subject and format

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147

How do you like the Garmin

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven’t found a single person to bug. I complained on the website, but no one responded.
It seems to be a common complaint on their site.
When I run the treadmill, it registers almost twice the miles my Fitbit does. Disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good for you! Who did you contact to get offered a refund?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I suppose Fitbit doesn’t care that they have fleeced us. This is my third Fitbit and I have bought 7 for some of my family members. Very disappointed in this company. I will not be buying another one. I have way too many little issues with my Versa. My blaze lasted less than six months. I am on month 6 with the versa, thinking I should have gone with a Garmin or Apple Watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I number of you inc. @SunsetRunner @Davetta  @parker7887 have asked me questions so here are the responses:

1. Garmin - I purchased the Fenix 5s, I have yet to try it as I will stay with Fitbit till the end of 2018, as I’m a stickler for stats!! New Year, New Product. The reviews though are fantastic so hopeful it will prove to be one to stick with, also the App looks good. 

2. Contact at FitBit - you should contact the Customer Support, they will assist you, I found that starting through the chat function was good, you save the conversation and you can email off the back of it.    The link is - https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs

Please remember it took dozens of emails to get to the point of being offered a refund, this has been going on for 3 months. I had to do step, distance tests and send in results, photos and screenshots galore, you have to be patient, but firm with them. 

3.Refund - The offer came out of the below 3-4 weeks after I gave up on them doing anything, this is an extract from their email. “Thank you for providing us with the screenshots. Your case has been escalated to our Customer Support team at headquarters in San Francisco. First and foremost, we'd like to apologize for the delay in response.
At this point, since the issue persists after adjusting the stride length (from manual to auto) and trying to track with GPS, we would like to provide you with a refund since a replacement will not resolve this issue.“

I hope the above info is helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yup. Should have gone with Apple.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

After running a few times with my phone and Versa with GPS enabled my pace decreased by 40 seconds and distances seems to be right on

Best Answer
0 Votes

I downloaded a clock face that has this (see below) for distance:

It's a compass icon with 6564/8046 and I don't know what this means.  Can anyone help me?

My fitbit app shows distance as miles 4.48 miles?  I am so confused.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The information given regarding how fitbit versa works when not connected to gps is perhaps theoretically true, but clearly false in practice. I have tracked measured walks with the versa for over a month now. With GPS connected, it's average accuracy is an unacceptably poor 91%. It's median accuracy is much worse, at about 85%. I have my stride length entered in the device accurately, and if the problem was from lack of gps connectivity, then the versa would be more accurate when it lost gps connectivity. However, that is not the case at all.

Overall, the distance calculations made by Versa during walks are completely useless. They are also arbitrarily variant.

This problem has been in existence for quite some time, judging from other comments in the forums. If Fitbit has not resolved to fix it yet, it is likely safe to say that either they cannot fix their errors, or do not care to fix them.

Many have wasted copious amounts of time following the advice given to them from Fitbit on how to fix these problems, but few, it any, have actually had the problem become resolved. Comments from Fitbit on how to solve the problem are ludicrous, and reflect a complete lack of knowledge on what the problem really must be.

In summary, the versa gps feature is useless. It is fraudulent that fitbit advertises the gps as a feature of this device.

Best Answer
Succinctly put.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I returned my Fitbit Versa, I have given up on Fitbit and am now using a garmin.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Same here got a refund and moved to Garmin
Best Answer

I am having this same issue, so I assume it was never resolved.  Running a distance I know to be 2 and 3 miles, it does not log the same distance AND my pace is WAY off as well. It shows me running 15-30 seconds at times slower than MapMyRun.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Switch to a Garmin...it is so much better. The only thing I like the versa
more on is overall appearance. The garmin is way more accurate and maps
your run without a phone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Agreed go with Garmin
Best Answer

This GPS problem Fitbit Versa and Android phone i have time from i bought Fitbi Versa for replacement Charge 2.

Some months ago there was one Fitbit version what was working gps ok and distance was also right. Mostly i run with 2 phones. One Android with Versa and Endomondo on iphone.

If anybody have change to try Versa with iphone. Probably this solutions will work better. I'll try same combo next run. 

And i understand admins, they try to help but still no working solutions from Fitbit part. I hope they soon release some new product what is same slim as Versa but build in GPS.

iphone 13 mini, Oneplus 8, Versa 3 | Retired: Flex (2x), Charge HR, Charge 2, Versa SE
Best Answer
0 Votes
Running with two phones kind of defeats the purpose of having a watch that
is suppose to accurately track your pace and distance. Vivoactive 3....no
phone, accurate data, and garmin connect is a great dashboard for tracking
workouts. The strength training function is pretty cool too
Best Answer
0 Votes

running with two phone is yes somekind joke but i like hr information on hand but i dont like fitbit ionic because it is to large for everyday use and own 2 fitbit sounds somehow joke also.

probably most fitbit versa users does not track their activity with gps and for fitbit this gps lag or distance problem is some little society problem.

iphone 13 mini, Oneplus 8, Versa 3 | Retired: Flex (2x), Charge HR, Charge 2, Versa SE
Best Answer
0 Votes
Good to know! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes