Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa distance inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello, 

I bought the Fitbit Versa a couple of weeks ago, and love the way it works! But, it seems it isn't doing a very good job at measuring distances,  which I think is one of the main features an activity tracker is supposed to be flawless at. 

I've compared the distance of a run I do regularly on a couple of devices and apps: Apple Watch, Geonaute GPS tracker, Fitbit Charge HR (connected GPS), several iPhones, Samsung Galaxy S9, apps like Strava, Runkeeper, Nike +, Google fit. They all seem to have more or less the same distance at the end of the run, which is: 6.8 - 6.9km. This is more or less correct, as the measured track is 1800m long (I run 3 laps = 5400m) and I have to run an additional 2x725m (1450m) to go to the track and get back home.

Today I did another run with the Fitbit Versa. And it measured only 5,86km.  Which is more then 13% off... Meanwhile I tracked the same run with Strava on my Samsung, which is using the same GPS: 6,8km. You offer a close collab with Strava, but why aren't the distances in sync? And even more, when I do the same run with the Versa a couple of times, the distances aren't the same. For example: I did the same run last week with the Versa: 6,36km. How do you explain this? My tracking apps don't seem to have any problems with locating the GPS signal or staying connected. My Phone is in my pocket which is about 0-50cm from the Versa, bluetooth is on.  Connected GPS is on and working fine the whole time. The run is also showing up on the map in my fitbit app correctly, but the distance is way off. To me this seems to be a software issue, which should be easily resolved in another software updated. Please fix this issue asap! If my old Fitbit Charge HR was able track the distance correctly via the fitbit app, why isn't the Versa? 

Thx

Raf

Moderator edit: subject and format

Best Answer
147 REPLIES 147

@parker7887Well its GPS does also work as expected if you dont have your phone too, I was just pointing out that even with GPS on a watch it still may not help this issue with Fitbirt if their codin is the problem. BTW if I didn't want a more smartwatch-y device then a Garmin would be my choice for sure!

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's my hope and the only reason I'm staying with this Fitbit. If it
doesn't get fixed after Google takes over and sees this issue, the next
watch I get will not be a Fitbit. So disappointed. This post has been
active for a year since my original post, and still no fix. They don't
care.
Best Answer
Wait....Google is taking over Fitbit?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! Me and my partner are both Fitbit users. I have Charge 3 SE and he has Versa 2. We go on walks together, but his mileage is way off the reality, even though it obviously tracks the walk correctly - the map is exactly the same to mine, but his fitbit says he walked about a mile less than me. Is there any setting that we need to check?

Best Answer
Stride length
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mpankova... That's exactly what everyone on this thread is talking about.
Versa has some issues with distance calculation. Even though connected GPS
works and maps are accurately recorded, the distance is not.

No setting will fix the fundamental issue.

Fitbit has decided to ignore making good devices or read forums to fix
existing issues.
Best Answer
Stride length should be immaterial if the connected GPS is working and
giving correct data to have correct map.

If Versa is actually using stride length despite having correct GPS points
then that's crappy software engineering.

In any case, I did manually enter correct running stride length using GPS
readings from another app and yet Versa was off by 25% in distance.
Best Answer
0 Votes
We've checked this one and it seems to be fine. Guess we can't do anything
with this 🤔🤷‍:female_sign:
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's what I've heard
Best Answer
0 Votes

Quick update:

Day 4 - (Week 7 run 1 of Couch to 5k) - Exactly the same route again.

5708 steps, 39 minutes, 4.99km (actually accurate for a change).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

There is another thread on inaccurate distances, fitbit are asking for info. Which I think is the most engagement with this problem I have seen from fitbit. Its here if you want to give them the info they are asking for:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa-Smartwatches/GPS-accuracy-during-exercise/m-p/4283131#M190907

Best Answer
Keep us updated. Some days mine is accurate and gives the same information
as Map My Run app. Then it's off for weeks again. Never reliable.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit app shows the route accurately.  The google location timeline shows identical route.

Fitbit distance 12.5km.  Google distance 17km

Best Answer

Unfortunately I managed to injure my knee after my last run and have been resting it since then. 1 week off and then using an elliptical to keep up my fitness level. I may well go back to running again in a week or so but I want to make sure that me knee is full healed before I run again

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit blaze is fantastic when I run but my Fitbit Versa is almost a km out on a 5km run?

I literally have to change out my versa for my blaze when I run

And how do I stop my versa from counting steps when I drive?

I did 10,000 steps driving 600km the other day?

Why is the blaze better?

Thought they would be the same? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Throw it in the trash and buy a Garmin is the only solution I have found to
fix Fitbit problems.
Best Answer

I went on a run today and now have 2 accurate readings so far with the steps I did below. If the next day I do a run and it's good then this may be the temporary fix that could help everyone till the mods say anything. 

Its been mentioned before that a way to get the accuracy back was to turn off auto-stride. When I went out for my run today I turned off auto-stride but also made sure that there was nothing in the fields of the auto-stride. An error message will show at the bottom in red but just press reset. Once I made sure the fields were blank I synced my watch to make sure that there was no data on the watch that could reference the auto-stride during the run.

Give it a shot and see if it helps. 2 in a row doing that and so far so good. Hopefully the mods will chime in soon with an update.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine started working great after that latest update. Then 2 days ago the
inaccurate distance started up again. And today would not sync with the
phone app. Had to uninstall the devise and reinstall it. What a pain.
Less than 6 months of use and so many problems.
I think I am going back to a Samsung that is a few bucks a month that uses
my data plan and you don't have to cary a phone. GPS, calling and text
capabilities right from the watch!
Best Answer
They aren't going to update though. This problem has been brought up for
years with the Versa. I am not sure if the same problem exists with the
Versa 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a versa 2.

I got a reply from Fitbit.  They said i should take it up with Strava why they can report the correct distance.

Since my phone also tracks distance with google, the google distance exactly matched the Fitbit Versa 2 export TCS -> Strava  -> recalculate distance, perhaps I should let google know there software is also wrong.

I'm stunned at the incompetence of Fitbit.   

Best Answer
0 Votes