Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa stops tracking in the middle of swimming

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I've been using my Versa for a little over a week. I've used it to track my swimming and two out of three times, I found that it stops tracking by its own in the middle of my swim session. I'm using the manual tracking and selected swim in the exercise modes before starting my swim. After swimming around 15 to 20 minutes, I found that it has stopped tracking and is showing the watch face. It has tracked my laps before that but I'm not sure when did it exactly stop tracking. Could I be inadvertently pressing the side buttons as I swim? However it seems unlikely that it should stop the tracking since you need to confirm that the session is ended by pressing the screen. Could water splash be a factor? Is there a way to 'lock' the screen during exercise modes?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SpacedGroove It could be water hitting the display. I remember someone in this forum asking the same question. No, we cannot lock the display.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

@SpacedGroove It could be water hitting the display. I remember someone in this forum asking the same question. No, we cannot lock the display.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me today. After three laps, my Versa was stuck on the Fitbit logo until the battery died. Now, after recharging, it vibrates and constantly jumps between the watch face and the swim activity menu without pressing buttons.

Help!!!

Best Answer

@MrHolmes this is a bad sign. I recommend reaching out to Customer Support.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer

I called customer support today. They couldn't get it to work and offered a replacement. I am really surprised it broke. It's been less than a year and I wasn't doing anything I haven't done twenty times before.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrHolmes I'm glad they're sending you a replacement!

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Versa for eight months now. At the beginning, the swim app tracks my laps pretty good. Starting about two months ago, the app skips laps from time to time. I have to rely on manual count to keep track my activity.

By the way, I have always been swimming 20 laps, 1000 yard, each time. There is no change in my stroke.

Please help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@W_Zhou have you tried rebooting versa several times (press and hold the left and bottom right buttons until Fitbit logo appears)?

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I reset twice this morning before swimming. It actually counted laps correctly for the first 800 yard, but skipped two laps in the last 200. Improved, but still unsatisfactory situation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@W_Zhou You can always pull out the big guns and restore Versa to factory defaults (perform a factory reset). This will wipe your Versa, so please sync first. You will also need to delete your tracker from the Fitbit account (in the Fitbit mobile app) and your Paired Devices list in your phone Bluetooth settings. You can perform factory reset by going to Settings on your Versa, scrolling down to About and tapping Factory Reset. Once Versa resets to factory defaults, you will need to set it up again by adding it as a new device in the Fitbit mobile app. 

I usually do not recommend it if someone is happy with a performance overall as it is a hassle.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has been happening to me too and it’s REALLY annoying 🥺

The beauty of using the Versa whilst swimming is not having to mentally count laps. It’s so annoying when I finish a swim and the Versa has stopped recording my swim after 2 laps. I’ve only had the Versa for 3 months!!!

Best Answer

There is no consistency of the problem (of losing track of laps). 50% of the time, it counts fine. The other half the time, it misses anywhere from 1 to 6 laps (of a total of 20 laps). I got to the point of just memorizing my laps and comparing the count to Versa. But then, why do I need a Versa??

I reset frequently and don't see a correlation between faithful counts and resets. 

I think Versa is a faulty product when it comes to swim laps, unless my unit happens to be a lemon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Called Fitbit customer care, 877-623-4997 and have a case created. CSR told me he saw many complaints about the same issue and is not sure how long it would take to resolve the problem.

In that case, Fitbit is engaging false advertising, at least on the part on swim function. Nor do I think replacement represents a viable solution either. Do you have any product that actually tracks swim laps accurately? That's what I'm looking for.

Best Answer

I read a comment about moving the Versa up your arm a bit (just incase it is accidentally touching my wrist during a swim)...seems to be counting my laps now 😎

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the tip. 

On the other hand, I am aware sometimes the watch may have become loose during the swim. But in my case, it happens at a far less frequency than missing counts. I am doubtful that this alone would solve the problem. I know for sure the watch had been tight the whole time this morning and it missed 2 laps out of 40, for example.

Best Answer
0 Votes