Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate zones related to resting hr

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My resting heart rate is typically in the mid 50s. That is below the normal heart rate for a woman my age. The heart rate zones in the app are calculated based on that normal range.  That means I am almost never in any exercise zone other than fat burning. Is there any way to have the zones be based on your resting heart rate instead of the normal?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi, it is very disheartening to work out and not show any zone minutes!  I wanted to mention that this is not a problem with active zone minutes per se as I have them with my Garmin trackers but instead is a function of how FitBit has chosen to calculate the active zone minutes.  The industry “standard” for cardio is 220-age x 70-85% to calculate that cardio range, above is peak and below to some extent (50 or 60%, can’t remember is fat burn).  FitBit is using a different calculation called HRR-Heart Rate Reserve which honestly is meant for athletes or something as us mere humans can rarely achieve our heart rates at those levels and honestly I don’t think it would be healthy for us to do so.

My temporary work around is:

You should be able to change the following in the app but at least on the IOS devices there is a glitch and you can’t change it.  You can change it here on your dashboard though.  

1.  Go to your dashboard above here and tap or click on the gear icon.

2. Tap on Settings

3. Scroll down to Heart Rate Zones and click on “custom”, I changed mine to 85% of my maximum heart rate (220 - age) x 85% - so for me 220 - 58 = 162 x 85% = 137.7, I rounded that number to 140 and saved.

4. Sync your app to your device and then tap on your account and scroll down to “heart health” under settings.  You should now see the updated heart rate zones.  

You can play with the numbers above until it makes sense with your medicines and overall exertion level.  Doing this for myself, my cardio zone is now 112-129 which is inline with where my older Garmin tracker puts me and now my zone minutes add up everyday with my exercise routines.

Hope that helps as a temporary fix!

Versa 2 / iPhone 8
Best Answer
0 Votes