Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a Versa calculate calories when swimming?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi y'all,

I'm curious about the swim workout/exercise on my Fitbit Versa. How does de Versa calculate calories, and how does it know that I've turned around to swim back, thus resulting in a 2nd length (of the pool) when swimming? I gathered that the heart rate function isn't accurate when swimming because of the difference of water and air between versa and skin, so I'm curious as to how this works.

To summarize, I like swimming as an exercise but I'd like to know how accurate the measurements are.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I have no idea ifbthe versa uses your incorrect HR readings to calculate calories (I assume they could factor in a correction for the readings being off) or if they use population averages to estimate your burn. So cant help you there.

The tracker knows you have completed a lap of the pool when you do one of two things. The first is pause for a couple of seconds at the lap end. The second is give a good push off from the wall. Both seem to work well. Either a turn and push or a tumble turn work equally well. What you dont want to do is make a turn with barely a ripple (ie dont swim around the pool end) I hope that answers that part of your question anyway!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply! That is informative indeed.

Best Answer
0 Votes