Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I only want my Fitbit to track my GPS location when using the app, not ALL of the time

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On my iPhone, the Fitbit app used to track my location during exercise, only when the app was running, which was what I wanted. I have always had the location setting set to "While Using". Now it wants me to have it set to "Always", which I am not happy about - as it drains both the battery in my Versa and my iPhone and unnecessarily uses my mobile data too, and it's none of anyone's business where I am all day every day. 

One day last week I did set it to "Always", I got a notification that my location had been tracked 116 times in the previous day or so - a day I was sick and so didn't wander far from my bedroom!

Can the GPS tracking please go back to working when I have "While Using" on, as currently it does not. Why did this change?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I'm not understanding you @Leilanil, the fitbit app will only track your location while the Mobile Track is set to record a Run, Walk, or Hike. Where do you see the 116 times notification? 

The other way to track with GPS is with the connected GPS option on the Versa. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Leilanil I am assuming you have updated to Android 10 and now are being informed which app uses gps data. Nothing has changed beside the fact that now you are aware how the apps track it. You have an option (in Android setting) to limit GPS use per each app by setting it to only While Using the app. As Fitbit (and many other apps) require frequent update of location data to function properly, this may impact the performance. Give it a try. If you encounter issues, switch back to Always. Again, there has been no change in the fitbit app - just Android to keep you informed. 

ETA: Just noticed you're on iPhone. Nevertheless, the last two sentences still apply.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes