Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve what is considered “steps” for better accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve noticed when washing/brushing my hair, sweeping/mopping/vacuuming, making the bed, etc it counts as steps- though I love that I hit my goals, I wish it knew I wasn’t walking/running.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @MonkTDB.

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing your concern about your device counting steps when you're doing activities with arm movements.  

Your watch is a motion sensor on your wrist and it may count some steps when you're working at a desk or performing other activities with arm movements, however it shouldn't be significant when compared to your overall stats. I recommend changing the wrist setting in the Fitbit app to "Dominant", it decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving. You can change your wrist setting in the Fitbit app. 

You can remove the extra steps from your daily total by following the instructions in this help article: How do I delete steps and floors in the Fitbit app? 

For more information about the accuracy of the Fitbit devices, please see this help article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes