Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Versa monitoring my SpO2?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi can anyone at Fitbit confirm the Versa is collecting SpO2 (peripheral capillary oxygen saturation) data? I know its not available to users yet but I am interested if its being collected and analysed by Fitbit.

I notice on waking up in the morning that the Versa heart rate monitor LED alternately flashes green and red, once it decides you are awake it then goes back to flashing green throughout the day. My partners Versa does the same so I know its not a fault.

To see the red green flashes more clearly remove the Versa and move it quickly from side to side whilst watching the LED,  you may need to briefly put your thumb over the sensor to get the LED flashing again as it will turn off automatically after a few seconds.

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

I'd be very interested in a SpO2 reading.  As a light airplane pilot that could be very useful in a higher-altitude cruise--lots of people get lower O2 levels without realizing it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I hear you @gtg947h it is not lots of people, it is most people, and to be expected with the lowered cabin pressure and less oxygen.

Here is an amusung, but serious, article, as to why it's a bad idea. 

They will need to put a warning into their safety message .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gtg947h wrote:

I'd be very interested in a SpO2 reading.  As a light airplane pilot that could be very useful in a higher-altitude cruise--lots of people get lower O2 levels without realizing it.

At FL100 it gets noticeable.  Most commercial flights pressurize to FL75.

It shouldn't be difficult for FitBit to enable spo2 in developer mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Yes I hear you @gtg947h it is not lots of people, it is most people, and to be expected with the lowered cabin pressure and less oxygen.

Yeah, poor phrasing on my part.  What I was getting at was, private pilots generally know that oxygen levels go down as altitude increases, but most of them assume they're OK and not suffering from hypoxic effects so long as they follow the regulations on when supplemental oxygen use is required--especially if they rarely fly above 8000ft or so.  Many of them don't realize that their O2 sats are getting into the "performance impairing" range at lower altitudes.  Some pilots have taken to getting standalone pulse-ox devices for longer flights, and it has led a few of them to use oxygen at lower altitudes, even when not required by regulations.

I know a few years ago we were coming back from Oshkosh at 11,500 and I could tell it was affecting me.  But oxygen use wasn't required and the airplane didn't have it anyway.

That article scared the crap out of me.  I'm an aircraft systems engineer and I deal with issues like that (passengers freaking out over nothing) enough as it is...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gtg947h wrote:

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Yeah, poor phrasing on my part.  What I was getting at was, private pilots generally know that oxygen levels go down as altitude increases, but most of them assume they're OK and not suffering from hypoxic effects so long as they follow the regulations on when supplemental oxygen use is required--especially if they rarely fly above 8000ft or so.  Many of them don't realize that their O2 sats are getting into the "performance impairing" range at lower altitudes.  Some pilots have taken to getting standalone pulse-ox devices for longer flights, and it has led a few of them to use oxygen at lower altitudes, even when not required by regulations.

I know a few years ago we were coming back from Oshkosh at 11,500 and I could tell it was affecting me.  But oxygen use wasn't required and the airplane didn't have it anyway.

That article scared the crap out of me.  I'm an aircraft systems engineer and I deal with issues like that (passengers freaking out over nothing) enough as it is...

The Samsung S7 has spo2 enabled and yes O2 levels drop during flight.   The "puddle jumpers" pressurize at higher altitudes to help reduce stress on the aircraft hull due to more take-off and landing cycles.

Best Answer
0 Votes