Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left button on Versa acting up after swimming

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Earlier today I went swimming while wearing my Fitbit. It was fine at first but the more time I spent in the pool, the more I realized my Fitbit started to vibrate all willy billy like pulling up my card and asking for my pin, even when I do nothing. The biggest thing however is the left button (the one used to go back to the home screen) no longer wishes to do its job and won’t let me go back to the home screen when it’s pressed. I tried restarting it but that didn’t work. If anyone can suggest any ideas on how I can fix this, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

I’m in the same boat!! I tried mine swimming for the first time today and now it’s going crazy! The left button keeps activating things, it’s  even starting the watch when I fondly get it (through fighting with it) to shutdown. I’ve restarted and I’ve factory restarted it and it been no use. It’s now a few metres from me and driving me crazy as it continually vibrates randomly!! Help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m in the same boat!! I tried mine swimming for the first time today and now it’s going crazy! The left button keeps activating things, it’s  even starting the watch when I finally get it (through fighting with it) to shutdown. I’ve restarted and I’ve factory restarted it and it’s been no use. It’s now a few metres from me and driving me crazy as it continually vibrates randomly!! Help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All,

Seems the versa isn't as "Swimproof" as it is supposed to be. Mine started acting up after a swim, even though I had swam with it many times in the past...

Here's what I had to do.. Like many of you, my buttons wouldn't respond at all and there was moisture in the HR sensor window.. I was a few months out of warranty, so I had no choice but to figure it out or buy a new one.

I did the old "Rice in a ziplock" trick. but it took over a week of having my watch in the window sill in a ziplock filled with rice for it to finally come back to me. I was ready to toss it when I thought I'd try charging it one more time, and it's been... ok ever since.. but I'm careful not to get it wet anymore. I even take it off while doing the dishes, washing the kids, or showering... now I consider it "Sweat resistant" 

If it's still within warranty, open a case ASAP and try for a replacement. If you are out of warranty best of luck to you, a long time in rice worked for me (for now) but this is "borrowed time" for my versa.  

Maybe that's why the Versa lite and Versa 2 only have one button instead of 3... they couldn't figure out the water ingress problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Iv'e been having the same same issue with my Versa Special edition watch  for quite a while and the issues keep getting worse. 

• Battery life is terrible. 
  • there is a streak on the right side of the watch face(All the time).
  • left button doesn't work at all.
  • and just today the screen comes up displaying the audio controls and is stuck on that screen.
  • and it doesn't appear to sync to my phone any more.
  • I'm not even sure if any of the buttons work anymore.

I've done the factory reset on the and have let the battery discharge and sit for a week before recharging. and none of that seemed to work. 

Fitbit's solution was to buy another watch. 

Best Answer

I found that letting the phone run out of battery (mine would awaken itself even if shutdown) and then putting it in rice for 2 full days seems to have done the trick. I will never put it in water again and be honest, if I got replacement Versa, I wouldn't have put that in water either. I had just bought my wife a versa because it should allow her to swim, but now she won't use it in water. Mine seems to be working properly now, but my trust in the product has evaporated. I can't see myself buying fitbit again in the future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I totally agree with you. Kind of defeats the purpose of spending
money a product advertised as designed for swimming that you're afraid to
get wet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome! The same issue with the left button happened to me today after entering into a pool, and by restarting the Fitbit Versa everything went back to normal.

Thanks for the instructions!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you ever gets this resolved with the left button - same problem in may 2020 and have reached out to fitbit support but no response tried everything on here and battery issues and about to blast!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @auscan1971, I remember about two days after my post my Versa broke due to the same repeated symptoms. Back then I was able to reach out to customer support and they offered either a replacement or a discount for other tracker. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@auscan1971 @AlejandroCuba Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Sorry for the delay in my reply.

@auscan1971 let me help you with your Versa button not working and thank you for following the suggestions in this thread. Since the issues persist I suggest you reach out to our Support team as you said but I couldn't find any ticket from the email address you used for your Fitbit account. In order to help you I have created a ticket so our Support team can further assist you via email.

@AlejandroCuba happy to hear that our Support team was able to assist you and offered options for you.

Keep me posted.

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did your Fitbit left button work in the end?  I just tried what they recommend and it hasn't worked for me!

I would really appreciate knowing.    Thanks so much

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue with left button not working.  I shut it down but cant turn it back on because the left button still does not work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally it worked after sometime which I believe it needed to dry out. But eventually the upper right button stopped working. I can still use the watch normally but avoiding any water to touch it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

May be you can try putting it on the charger to power it on. But I would propose to leave it for sometime to dry before trying this. 

Best Answer
Unfortunately I turned mine off and now I can't turn it back on because left button will not move.I guess i will be shopping for a new fitness watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine hasnt been wet in over a week so should be dry
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for replying. I will try your suggestion.

Thanks again

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

I can't use the button on my fitbit versa light after a resent I had with it and the left button seems to not work at all as if it doesnt exist. The button itself is perfectly fine but it been acting up the more often I took it into water. This is making me think it's not as water resistant as claimed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
No it is not water resistant, despite having a swimming option, if swimming or submerged for a period of time.

Dry it pout in a far of rice, reset and it might work again.

Good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This just happened to me and this solution worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes