Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Fitbit app ignore phone's Do Not Disturb setting-Versa

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've just received my new Fitbit Versa, switching from a Pebble Time. I've found the Fitbit app is complaining that due to my phone being on 'Do Not Disturb' the watch won't display any notifications - an insanely stupid forced 'feature'. I don't want my phone to make noises for notifications but I do want my watch to vibrate so that I'm aware of things - surely this is a use case for a lot of people.

My Pebble Time was used this way across 3 different phones with zero problems whatsoever. The Versa however, seems utterly useless to me unless there's some workaround for this? I have my phone in Do Not Disturb mode 24/7 - it literally never leaves this mode. I have calls come through audibly and every other notification silently appears with the LED light blinking and my watch vibrating so I'm aware of them - this exact setup is why smart watches are so great. By blocking this exact setup the device becomes effectively useless to me.

Does anyone have any kind of workaround or idea to fix this? If not I'm guessing I'll have to return my Versa, as it's simply not usable to me Smiley Sad

Moderator edit: added label

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Right now it's a big drawback of the device. The only 'half-a-work around' is that they still work when your phone is on silent just not DND. So if your phone allows you to turn off vibrations that can achieve a similar result.

I posted this in another thread about the same issue a little while ago:

Just in case anyone else is looking/interested there are a few suggestions on the feature suggestions boards for this. Please vote on them if you feel it's a good idea. 

As you can see from those threads, you wouldn't be the only one returning the Versa 'cause of this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Terrafit!

Just trying out silent now and that does indeed still seem to allow notifications, but this prevents my calls from being audible on my phone - something which is fairly important to me although not essential. So I suppose it is a workaround, but not a long-term acceptable one at all.

I'm absolutely baffled that Fitbit have set things up this way - and it looks like this was an addition to the Fitbit app rather than the original way it worked?! It's not the way Android Wear (Wear OS) devices function nor the Pebble, or any others that I'm aware of. DND is for folks that still want important calls/alarms to come through, but are in an environment where they don't want vibrations or notification sounds to constantly be popping off and irritating other folks. A smartwatch should never mirror the phone's settings, it should have an independent do not disturb/silent mode.

Best Answer

Edit - this isn't actually working on my phone. The test notification worked but all other notifications still appear to not be coming through.

OnePlus 5 for what it's worth.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I completely agree, it's not a good way for it to work!

Fwiw, with a OnePlus X, the 'silent but not DND' workaround is working for me... sometimes. It worked at first for an hour or two then stopped, a restart of the phone and they started coming through again.

However, it seems a bit hit and miss, one message out of three just won't come through occasionally. I've only had a few calls, but they've all seemed to go through at least. I'm also only getting notifications from the primary selected messaging/call apps, not email, and not any other apps despite having all apps ticked under 'app notifications'.

It seems notifications just aren't being handled well at all, which is a shame as Pebble never seemed to miss one at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not a Versa error, it's the Fitbit app that seems to be having an issue. I'm on Android and have the problem with both my Alta and Versa as of today. I've had to drill down into my phone settings for DND and make the Fitbit app an exception so that notifications are sent to my phone when on silent. Nevermind that silent and DND are two different settings on my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LostScientist42 wrote:

It's not a Versa error, it's the Fitbit app that seems to be having an issue. I'm on Android and have the problem with both my Alta and Versa as of today. I've had to drill down into my phone settings for DND and make the Fitbit app an exception so that notifications are sent to my phone when on silent. Nevermind that silent and DND are two different settings on my phone.

Any idea how you do this exactly? When my phone is on silent the Fitbit app still says that notifications won't be received due to my phone being on Do Not Disturb...even though it's not!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try this thread in the Android App forum, "Do not Disturb" error notification

The specific pathway on your phone will vary depending on make and model. I needed to perform a reset of my phone for the setting to stick.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LostScientist42 wrote:

Try this thread in the Android App forum, "Do not Disturb" error notification

The specific pathway on your phone will vary depending on make and model. I needed to perform a reset of my phone for the setting to stick.

Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Good to know it's an issue but I'm disappointed how long this issue seems to have been going on unresolved. You'd think Fitbit would get this fixed within a matter of days not weeks.

Unfortunately the workaround in that thread is not present in Android 8.1.0 on my Oneplus 5, so I'm unable to resolve it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been using Fit Notifications app for years now. It allows to override DND etc, filter messages and so on. Only for Android tho.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem.  I received my fitbit today and I was unable to make the watch vibrate when the phone is in silent mode  This is a must have. 97% of the time my phone is in silent because of my work  And I need a watch that notifies me when something arrive. Just to let this note and share my thoughts. But it's a great improvement for fitbit to attract Pebble customers. Great 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone is always on silent but with vibrate and my Fitbit would always vibrate. Yesterday I added DND for a few hours in the day and now my Fitbit won’t do any notifications including the alarm. 

Best Answer
0 Votes